Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 06:00:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Computing and Bitcoin  (Read 1754 times)
tk808 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:42:26 PM

How will the arrival of quantum computing in the next years or decades effect bitcoin?
exokk

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:15:39 AM

well I guess it takes a while - say 10 to 15 years - so that there will be any quantum computer available.
So who wants to predict the future of BTC UNTIL the first "arrival" of a quantum computer? maybe btc is long ago by then - overtaken by a new crypto Wink

but I know. its all about speculation here.

Just want to add then: don't forget about DNA computer technology! it has about the same potential or an even higher one.

exocytosis

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:36:21 AM

Commercial quantum computers have been in use for a while: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/10/31/lockheed-martin-installs-quantum-computer/

The NSA probably have quite a few of the more advanced ones.
Bono

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:38:00 AM

Obligatory.

https://i.imgur.com/VjtG3.jpg

doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 01:06:16 AM

great poster, can we get the high res somewhere?
Bono

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 01:11:23 AM

great poster, can we get the high res somewhere?

That's the highest-quality I've seen. Grabbed the image URL right off this forum.
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:06:08 AM

The poster looks nice. Unfortunately, the laws of physics do not mandate a minimum amount of energy to do computing.  It takes energy to flip a bit, but the energy can be reclaimed when the bit flips back.  Some smart people have shown how to make computing completely reversible, except for the cost of copying out the answer.

Ed Fredkin explained it to me this way,  "If computation took energy, how could the Universe compute its future?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_computing
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:40:25 AM

Ed Fredkin explained it to me this way,  "If computation took energy, how could the Universe compute its future?"

Thanks for confusing the hell out of me Cheesy

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 03:02:41 AM

It confused me too.  Smiley

When I ran into the guy at the local airport where I fly gliders, I had just read this article from Scientific American:

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~taustin/EECS598-HIC/public/Physical-Limits.pdf
sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:57:03 AM

...  It takes energy to flip a bit, but the energy can be reclaimed when the bit flips back.  ...

No you can't.  Go ahead try it.

You can't decouple bits from the universe.  If you could then you wouldn't be able to see them.

Entropy increases.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:09:11 AM

The thing is, computation doesn't "take" energy. In fact, one could argue energy doesn't exist in the first place, it's just an abstract concept we introduced to describe some sort of equivalence between different physical phenomena. Thanks to Einstein, we can say that x amount of mass somehow 'equals' y amount of photons or z amount of heat. This equivalence is expressed in terms of energy, measured in Joules, but saying these things are all different forms of energy is mostly an abstraction.

Hence, computing the future doesn't "take" energy, but rather converts a few tiny physical objects or phenomena into others. Just like a combustion engine doesn't "take" energy but merely converts fuel into gases, heat and motion. Similarly, the universe will (verrrrrry slowly) convert itself to a homogenous mixture of low-energy-density gases and radiation, while continuously computing its own future.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
oprahwindfury

Activity: 603
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:41:37 AM

Early quantum computers exist already, and they represent a very real threat not just to bitcoin, but to cryptography as we know it. By the time someone deploys a quantum computer against the bitcoin network it will be far too late to do anything about it from a system-wide standpoint. Individuals can send their coins to fresh addresses (ones with no spending transactions) since the public key is obfuscated by a few rounds of SHA256, but I believe there is an inverse SHA256 function for quantum computers as well.

To adequately defend against a quantum computer Bitcoin will have to move to a different type of cryptography all together. To present Bitcoin's algorithm as "unbreakable" through a tantalizing picture and a few witty scientific sounding phrases is misleading.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:17:55 AM

I believe there is an inverse SHA256 function for quantum computers as well.
Is there now, really? You do realize that this is mathematically impossible, right?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Honeypot

Activity: 420

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:19:50 AM

So about dem invincible bitcoins....
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 10:30:46 AM

Lots of confusion in this thread.

1. Schneier (quoted in the poster) was wrong. There is no known lower bound on the energy required for computation. As far as we know it is possible to build a computer that reverses SHA-256 without a significant energy consumption, and without any algorithm breakthrough.

2. It's possible an algorithm exists that can reverse SHA-256 without a new type of computer.

3. Quantum computers are more effective for reversing SHA-256 than classical computers, and Schneier's comment, even if it was correct, would not apply for them. Brute forcing on a QC scales like 2^128 which is a massive improvement. On the other hand, increasing the hash length would solve this particular problem. The real problem is that it is trivial for a QC to break ECDSA, so we may need to switch to Lamport signatures or something.

4. Lecture by Vitalik Buterin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkUpZkeqhF4&feature=youtu.be

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8439

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 10:42:33 AM

1. Schneier (quoted in the poster) was wrong. There is no known lower bound on the energy required for computation. As far as we know it is possible to build a computer that reverses SHA-256 without a significant energy consumption, and without any algorithm breakthrough.
He's referring to the lower bound for a non-reversible computer. Reversible computation has no known lower bound, no higher efficiency reversible computer yet exist yet. (As an aside, quantum computing requires reversible computing as well, so they're often talked about at the same time. But reversible computing is a subset, it may turn out that QC doesn't scale in practice due to yet unknown physical effects but highly efficient reversible computation works out just ducky).
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 05:27:43 PM

Dont worry guys, BFL will have a quantum miner for preorder soon, and of course it will ship 2nd quarter of 2014...guaranteed!

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 07:25:48 PM

Lots of confusion in this thread.

notice that Schneier seems to be the only one who posits what the other cryptographers only insinuate.

I've suggested elsewhere that it's quite possible that Scheier has some kind of special role in the promotion of popular concepts in cryptography.

It's not only possible that ECDSA has a back door, it's probable.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:54:11 PM

I wonder sometimes if that picture won't look in 200 years as a proof on how stupid humans were?
We claimed in the past many things and not just that "heavier that air" thing pops in my mind when i think about wrong predictions and statements.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:07:46 AM

Apparently, the NSA is currently building one: http://rt.com/usa/quantum-computer-nsa-encryption-100/
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: