Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:30:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Bruce Wagner good for Bitcoin's public image?
Very good - 4 (10.5%)
Good - 0 (0%)
Not sure - 6 (15.8%)
Bad - 10 (26.3%)
Very Bad - 18 (47.4%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Public opinion of Bitcoin  (Read 2634 times)
someotherguy (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 07:06:18 PM

Please answer above poll.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ampirebus

Activity: 672
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 07:19:20 PM

if i mention bitcoins to people, they immediately think i am crazy tinfoil hat or whatever. i dont even bother anymore. 33% of the time, they think its a ponzi scheme, 33% of the time people assume i lost a ton of money in bitcoins (Which is ironic being ive only made pure profit), and the other 33% of the time they're just like "LOLXDWTFBBQM8RLLY?"
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 07:24:16 PM

if i mention bitcoins to people, they immediately think i am crazy tinfoil hat or whatever. i dont even bother anymore. 33% of the time, they think its a ponzi scheme, 33% of the time people assume i lost a ton of money in bitcoins (Which is ironic being ive only made pure profit), and the other 33% of the time they're just like "LOLXDWTFBBQM8RLLY?"

So you're saying 1% are interested?! Win.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
someotherguy (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 08:00:39 PM

Who is Bruce Wagner?

Bruce is responsible for the recent, Bitcoin Conference, and he has what he calls a "daily" show on Bitcoin (lately once a week).
ampirebus

Activity: 672
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 08:07:19 PM

that 1% is my stale shares  Roll Eyes Shocked Tongue Cheesy
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 08:08:22 PM

that 1% is my stale shares  Roll Eyes Shocked Tongue Cheesy
Those are the people who just stare at you blankly without saying a word.  Cheesy
someotherguy (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 12:49:38 PM

Ok I have received some msg's asking why I am "attacking" Bruce Wagner of OnlyoneTV, and the organizer of the recent Bitcoin Conference in NY.  

I am not attacking him here.  I am trying to gauge the Bitcoin communities public opinion his impact of Bitcoin in the "public eye".

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 12:54:43 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2011, 01:36:18 PM by jackjack

I think there was just no impact on average joes

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 01:01:40 PM

Convincing a few restaurants to accept bitcoin alone has persuaded other businesses (by mainstream TV) to accept bitcoin which we can only hope is contagious. Disclose your own opinion and agenda please.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 01:07:09 PM

I think he's been doing a pretty good job so far.

Callius

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 01:50:18 PM

While bruce can be quite optimistic I think he's a good public figure as he's got drive and composure. Certainly he's done more than I or many others have to make bitcoin into the publics eye
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 02:09:54 PM

He's definitely an asset.

Convincing a few restaurants to accept bitcoin alone has persuaded other businesses (by mainstream TV) to accept bitcoin which we can only hope is contagious.

I think this achievement alone has made bitcoin so much more visible, and more importantly, is a solid demonstration that bitcoin is a legitimate tool for merchants and consumers.
So much of the earlier coverage has focused on black-market aspects such as tax avoidance and drugs - despite there being little evidence that there is much of this really going on. Along with some of the better known merchants such as MemoryDealers, bitbrew, cablesaurus and bitmunchies - OnlyOneTV provides a counterpoint to the  persistent taint that some commentators like to push. Indeed this sort of high profile focus on the positive uses and aspects of bitcoin potentially makes it that much harder for legislators and unfriendly corporations to take kneejerk actions against Bitcoin as a whole.

As far as being a personable bitcoin contact with whom mainstream media can talk, without coming across as a fringe nerd-type - he's currently without peer.

That said, I'm completely unimpressed with the announcement of multiple conference locations for 2012 - apparently with no community consultation, and as far as I can see - no explanation of why fragmenting the attention of potential bitcoin enthusiasts and exhibitors is the way to go.
Surely exhibitors would prefer to get the most bang for their bitcoin by having an annual expo to focus on.
Now of course he's under no obligation to consult or explain, as there's nothing 'official' about OnlyOneTV being *the* world expo organiser for bitcoin for all time.
I had hoped that he'd take a less autocratic approach and simply be the instigator of a more community-based effort in this regard.
Nothing about the way the 1st conference was organised, and the next conferences were announced suggests this though.

It might be easy to point to the fact that Bruce used to promote mybitcoin as a negative - but the situation would have been a problem for a large slice of the community even if he hadn't, and having the show as a platform to shed light on these issues is invaluable.

Some of his more exuberant proclamations certainly fit my definition of 'hype', and he often comes across as more 'marketer' than realist and commentator, but I'm hopeful that he will listen to some of the feedback from the community and pull back from some of the more speculative claims, without losing his enthusiastic style.

Still.. on balance Bruce and the Bitcoin Show have done a lot of good for the public image of bitcoin.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 02:10:21 PM

While bruce can be quite optimistic I think he's a good public figure as he's got drive and composure. Certainly he's done more than I or many others have to make bitcoin into the publics eye

Agreed.   Before criticizing Bruce, people should ask themselves:  "Would I do better?"

I certainly would not.

bracek

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:51:16 PM

Bruce does not owe us anything, and he gave so much already...

He is partially responsible for the "internet speed" of bitcoin.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:55:37 PM

Having a look at the charts, I think we could have used less of internet speed/mania phase and more of a stable and sustainable growth.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 05:28:01 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2011, 07:04:27 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

...and like bloodsuckers, we want more.

Speaking for all here, unless somebody has a serious problem with Bruce, we applaud ALL your fine efforts. But if the general conscience (the jury is still out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=39476.0) on one of your proposals points toward a potential detriment to Bitcoin, then this reality should be--and has been--brought to your attention.

Of course, I'm speaking of Pattaya. It seems like the majority here want it off the table. I guess were asking for one of two things: change the venue or address it, adding your professional wisdom to the issue. Perhaps we're not seeing the whole picture. If that's the case, draw it for us so we can happily join your camp and meet up under one wind resistant tent.

Bruno

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 06:12:44 PM

Speaking for all here, unless somebody has a serious problem with Bruce, we applaud ALL your fine efforts. But if the general conscience (the jury is still out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=39476.0) on one of your proposals points toward a potential detriment to Bitcoin, then this reality should be--and has been--brought to your attention.

Of course, I'm speaking of Pattaya. It seems like the majority here want it off the table. I guess were asking for one of two things: change the venue or address it, adding your professional wisdom to the issue. Perhaps we're not seeing the whole picture. If that's the case, draw it for us so we can happily join your camp and meet up under one wind resistant tent.

Bruno

Uh, what? If Pattaya is not a desirable place for people to meet then it just won't happen. If it is desirable then wtf do you have to do with what they want to do?

Are you worried that you'll accidentally go and not like it?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2011, 07:02:36 PM

Bruno

Uh, what? If Pattaya is not a desirable place for people to meet then it just won't happen. If it is desirable then wtf do you have to do with what they want to do?

Are you worried that you'll accidentally go and not like it?

Hello, FreeMoney. I will surely address your question. Once you kindly reask it nicely, for your tone comes off as gruffly terse.

If it is desirable then wtf do you have to do with what they want to do?

Bruno

someotherguy (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 10:49:16 PM

Bump,  I tried not to but I could not help myself.  I am wondering after this sitting in the General Section since it started, with no objections, I wonder if the Mods will move it to some obscure section of the forum.
bitcoinTrader

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 11:03:33 PM

So far:
2 - Very good
1 - bad
2 - very bad

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: