Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:45:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest to name the 0.0001 BTC unit (0.1 BTC prize!)  (Read 8570 times)
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:51:11 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 03:13:05 AM by westkybitcoins

As the title suggests, I think it would be better for the Bitcoin community that we skip the milliBitcoin step, and not use microBitcoins, but instead choose to use 0.0001 BTC as the next common denomination.

I believe this is a superior choice because:

1) It gives us more time before making another change than mBTC would

2) It removes the possibility of using common decimal prefixes (milli- and micro-) which, as bad as it may sound, would face resistance in the U.S.

3) It's compatible with a minimum transaction fee of 0.0001 BTC

4) New users would likely be happier with it than mBTC, as they'd get "more" for their money with a smaller denomination (ah, human psychology)

5) The values wouldn't be as large as with uBTC

6) It leaves us with a very manageable 4 decimal places

7) It reduces the transition to satoshis down to two equally-spaced steps, leaving only one familiar future change

To this end, I'm putting up a 1000-digibit (0.1 BTC) prize for whoever comes up with the "best" name for the 0.0001 BTC unit!

The Specifics (please read carefully:)

I.) I am seeking names in this thread, and comments on the submitted names. Submit as many as you like, but only your first 10 names will be eligible for the prize. Don't edit your posts containing your names until after I (or any mod who wants to) quote it, otherwise your names in that post are no longer eligible for the prize, even if one wins. First person to post a name in this thread gets credit for that name. Please stay on topic, etc. Modifications to these naming specifics will only be made if necessary in the obvious interest of fair play (controversy over two submissions, etc.) And, I'm claiming the name digibit primarily as an example, since I neither expect nor really want it to win.

Submissions made past January 11 January 4, 23:59:59 CST (UTC-6) will not earn the submitter the prize, and except due to some extraordinary circumstance will not be considered for the remainder of the contest.

EDIT: Yes, one person can have multiple names chosen for the polls.

II.) Shortly after the deadline, a new thread will be started; it will host a poll of the top twelve names. Comments and suggested modifications on the names will be sought in the thread, along with votes. The top twelve names will be selected for the poll from this thread, based on: apparent popularity in this thread, terseness (fewer syllables is generally better,) lack of obvious faults (a name that's offensive in German probably isn't going to make it,) reflection of related technical or liberty-oriented themes, ease of pronunciation, general marketability, and my own personal bias (I'll try to eliminate it, but let's be upfront: some bias will probably still slip through.) Until the next thread is posted, this contest may be cancelled due to lack of interest or other relevant circumstance. But once that next thread is posted, you can presume I'm 100% committed to giving someone the 0.1 BTC.

Voting and comments for the poll will be open until January 18 January 8, 23:59:59 CST.

III.) After the first poll, a poll of the final four will be posted. The final four will be names from the original list of twelve that are the most popular vote-wise, seemed to garner the most enthusiasm, and were not found to have any obvious faults. Note that any or all of the names may be modified slightly based on feedback from the community in the first poll. The final winner will be determined by voting, although if there is less than a (non-scientific) 3% difference between the top two names, and if there's strong, obvious rationale for the second over the first (for example, if by some miracle the second had already taken hold in mainstream publications,) then the second place vote-wise will be deemed the winning name.

Voting for the final poll will be open until January 25 January 11, 23:59:59 CST.

IV.) I have moved the 1000 digibits to the following address: 1NpTFdJg1kWUpvWaUBZBU3sfxKfXXZifDe

They will remain there until sent to the address specified by the winner. (The extra 1 digibit at the address is because I use Mycelium, and it's needed for the transaction fee.) The winner will be contacted and the prize sent ASAP after the end of the contest.

Final Comments

Obviously, there is (thankfully) no way to force acceptance of the 0.0001 BTC unit denomination, even with a marketable name. But my hope is that this contest will generate enough buzz and discussion around the idea (along with an adequate name!) that it will get bitcoin users to consider it, and to maybe persuade the community to head in that direction.

Good luck!

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IamNotSure

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:55:57 AM

one cthulhu
lacrymist

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:58:07 AM

bitcent
Scyntech

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

“Blockchain Just Entered The Real World”

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:04:48 AM

Pence

███████████████████████
     ███▄ ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█▀▀  █████
    ███  █▀  ▀█▀▀▀       ▐█ ███
   ███  ▄██▄▄█▀▄▄▄        █▌ ███
  ███ ▄█▀  █     ▀█▄▄     ▐█  ▐██
 ███▄█▀    █        ▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄ ██
████▀      █           ▀██▀   ▀█ ██
 ██▀█▄     █          ▄█▀▀█▄▄▄█▀██
  ██ ▀█▄   █      ▄▄█▀▀    ▐█  ██
   ██  ▀█▄█▀▀█▄▄█▀▀        █▌ ██
    ███  █▄  ▄█▀█▄▄▄      █▌███
     ███  ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀█▄▄▐████
      ███████████████████████

▄▄       ▄▄▄        ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄ 
  ▀█▄   ▄█▀ ▀█▄    ▄█▀ ▄█▀▀   ▀▀█▄
    ▀█▄█▀     ▀█▄▄█▀  ▐█         █▌
    ▄█▀█▄      ▄█▀    ▐█         █▌
  ▄█▀   ▀█▄  ▄█▀       █▄       ▄█
▄█▀       ▀██▀          ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀

Network
BLOCKCHAIN JUST ENTERED THE REAL WORLD
  Decentralized Crypto-Location Oracle Network
GET WHITELISTED FOR TOKEN SALE ( Limited )

WHITE PAPER  ││  ANN Thread  Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Reddit
stuartrgreene

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:08:15 AM

deBit
hmmmm

Activity: 20

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:16:46 AM

Nibbles and bits and bits and bits ...
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:18:12 AM

The dollar.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
bitbrasil

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:34:37 AM

1 SNBit

homage to satoshi naka whoever they are
Spjuth

Activity: 55

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:37:41 AM

It should be called a Decimill of course!

Edit:
Pronounced Dessi Mill, if you didn't figure that out.
jackioflap

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:46:37 AM

Cbit pronounced seebit
Chobit my gfs manga homage
Mbit pronounced embit
Bits
Smidges

Not the most creative but simple is hard to come by.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:51:25 AM

bitcent

Pence

deBit

Cbit pronounced seebit
Chobit my gfs manga homage
Mbit pronounced embit
Bits
Smidges

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
IamNotSure

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:51:50 AM

The dollar.

Already taken by the FED Wink
BlueNote

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:52:34 AM

I've been advocating that the 4th decimal place be referred to simply as bits. It's perfect for Bitcoin.

The symbol for bits will be BIT.

Simplicity itself.

1HQbvGAEKKSrwCHv9RZNHoQPGmtLQmiu85
Duane Vick

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:55:39 AM

The bitty.

1FMDNUutcKVTEAph3c8xCvZie7HaCC3xDt If you feel that I've contributed anything worthwhile, please donate.
Aido

Activity: 248

1. Collect underpants 2. ? 3. Profit

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:57:37 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 02:08:32 AM by Aido

0.0001 BTC = 100mics (pron. hundredmikes)

Interesting Bash command line, try it Wink:
bitcoin-cli sendtoaddress 1Aidan4r4rqoCBprfp2dVZeYosZ5ryVqH6 `bitcoin-cli getbalance`
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:58:35 AM

The bitty.

0.0001 BTC = 100 mics (pron. mikes)

EDIT: "mics" as a name for the 0.0001 BTC unit is taken

Aido

Activity: 248

1. Collect underpants 2. ? 3. Profit

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:03:51 AM

EDIT: "mics" as a name for the 0.0001 BTC unit is taken

Taken by what?

Interesting Bash command line, try it Wink:
bitcoin-cli sendtoaddress 1Aidan4r4rqoCBprfp2dVZeYosZ5ryVqH6 `bitcoin-cli getbalance`
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:25:54 AM

The bitdollar.

(We need to plan ahead).
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080