Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:25:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest to name the 0.0001 BTC unit (0.1 BTC prize!)  (Read 8574 times)
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:50:24 PM

What are the proposed names until now?

You'd have to look back at the ones I quoted. Obviously, some of the suggestions were less serious than others.

If you don't feel like going back, just list your suggestions; if any are duplicates they'll just be tossed out before the poll choices are chosen.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:51:30 PM

Roughly 8 hours, 8 minutes left.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
gortonc

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:43:35 PM

Given the historical precedent of naming currency denominations in honor of historically significant persons, and the fact that bitcoin has continued this precedent with the Satoshi, I humbly submit the...

Snowden.

Some would argue his contribution to freedom may one day be seen to rival Franklin's; and it would be nice to see the value of a Snowden equivalent to a Franklin.  Grin

Also for your consideration:  the Assange, Babbage, and Hayek.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:57:13 PM

I humbly submit the...

Snowden.

<snip>

Also for your consideration:  the Assange, Babbage, and Hayek.

gortonc

Activity: 35

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:10:07 PM

On further consideration, as much as I like the Snowden (and I'm not withdrawing it) it might be a bit  Wink too much "in your face" for the good of Bitcoin in general.   It may be that the Hayek would be more appropriate from a marketing perspective.
MadMoneyMachine

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 11:29:10 PM

1 BTC / 1,000 =  Millibit or Milly or Millies
1 BTC / 1,000,000 =  Microbit or Mikey or Mikeys

So, 0.0001 BTC = 0.1 millies or 100 mikeys
tanzislam

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:48:14 PM

Anything that is similar but differs by one vowel, e.g.:
1 botcoin
1 betcoin
1 batcoin
homm88

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

BTC/Doge

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:01:01 AM

Minicoin would sound pretty good imo, though the problem with many of these suggestions with -coin in the name is that people might think that it's another cryptocurrency. (because honestly, there's hundreds of different cryptocoins out there now)
Qim

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:01:12 AM

You'd have to look back at the ones I quoted. Obviously, some of the suggestions were less serious than others.

If you don't feel like going back, just list your suggestions; if any are duplicates they'll just be tossed out before the poll choices are chosen.

Obviously ? Really ? Who's opinion ?

How do you judge less or more serious ?

All the judgements should be made by voting, not by one individual.

OK, you set the 0.1 BTC prize and you can send it to anyone you like, but if this is not a fair game or some of us don't think it's a fair game, then it may end up less people would use the name you decided for 0.0001 btc.

So, to make less complains as possible, to make more people willing to use the name in the future, I strongly suggest that :
Don't be obvious. Put all the names in the poll, if it is obvious then let the voting say so.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 01:44:30 AM

Don't be so serious about this contest, this is just for fun.
Even if 1000 forum members unanimously vote for a serous name, it may still not be adopted by the masses.
This a hardly an official referendum  Cheesy
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:08:41 AM

Obviously ? Really ? Who's opinion ?

How do you judge less or more serious ?

All the judgements should be made by voting, not by one individual.

OK, you set the 0.1 BTC prize and you can send it to anyone you like, but if this is not a fair game or some of us don't think it's a fair game, then it may end up less people would use the name you decided for 0.0001 btc.

So, to make less complains as possible, to make more people willing to use the name in the future, I strongly suggest that :
Don't be obvious. Put all the names in the poll, if it is obvious then let the voting say so.

Who do you think you are?

His money. His post. His rules.

Amazing how people complain about the stupidest things.
johnnyblack80

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:31:40 AM

Dollar Bit
bitbrasil

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:46:22 AM

Not sure if there's still time

I want to submit one more name

"V"
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 02:56:22 AM

Not sure if there's still time

I want to submit one more name

"V"

I suggest a different letter.

9ypsytrader

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:25:02 AM

bitdime.
Qim

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:41:40 AM

Don't be so serious about this contest, this is just for fun.
Even if 1000 forum members unanimously vote for a serous name, it may still not be adopted by the masses.
This a hardly an official referendum  Cheesy

Yeah... you are right, maybe I'm too serious.

1 BTC = 100,000,000 Satoshi
It may never have anything between, needed or not needed.

But if we have to name something between, I would prefer just one name for 0.0001BTC or 10000 Satoshi instead of mBTC or/and kSatoshi.

Shit, actually you are right, it will not be adopted by the masses. even a real outstanding name comes out here...
erono

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:45:58 AM

coinWonder Grin Grin Grin

1KzMUFVfD15VyW6zgvmrLLUz7UmzMMUvzk

Qim

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:48:58 AM

Who do you think you are?

His money. His post. His rules.

Amazing how people complain about the stupidest things.

I think I'm nobody.
I was trying to help him, to make this game more serious. But I speak like complaining or you read it so, shit, my fucking poor English.
Well, I don't think the voting thing is stupid.
coinage

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:16:33 AM

Given the historical precedent of naming currency denominations in honor of historically significant persons ...

Ah, then it's time to chime in with the chaum:

1 chaum

for David Chaum, who by essentially creating the original concept of secure digital cash based on cryptography, and his successes and failures with DigiCash, gave at least some of us an expectation, example, and hunger for practical electronic cash, and surely must have been a factor leading to the creation of bitcoin, zerocoin, etc.
Glynn

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:29:00 AM

0.0001 bitcoins is a pip.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: