I'm getting ready to build out my first rig. All the posts here have been really helpful but would like to get comments on the following setup:
- Motherboard: Either the Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD30 ($139 - to allow expansion in the future and perhaps other uses) or the much-cheaper GA-M68MT-S2P ($49 - for a single-card setup)
- CPU: AMD Sempron 145 ($42, 45W, nothing fancy)
- GPU: AMD 5970 (available from a friend, used)
- PSU: Antex HCG-750 750W (sale with rebate for $69)
- Storage: Either headless off a USB, or perhaps a small Intel SSD
I already have a case.
1. The better MB would obviously allow me to expand to other cards, but if I add other cards, they probably won't be 5970s due to availability and cost, so it'll be a mix-match setup. Other plus on the better MB would be that I could potentially expand the computer to other uses in the future.
2. Cooling: Recommendations? Keep in mind it's going to be living at an office, so emphasis needs to be on quiet.
3. PSU: Looks like the 5970s pull around 300W, so I'm wondering if the 750W PSU will be sufficient if I want to expand to 2 cards in the future.
I'd be particularly interested in other folks who are running boxes in an office. I'm a bit worried about the heat... Of course, if it becomes a problem, I can move it home, but then no free electricity!
Thanks for your thoughts!