Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:36:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining-only rig to live in an office  (Read 1477 times)
sunbird (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 07:49:20 PM

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to build out my first rig. All the posts here have been really helpful but would like to get comments on the following setup:

• Motherboard: Either the Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD30 ($139 - to allow expansion in the future and perhaps other uses) or the much-cheaper GA-M68MT-S2P ($49 - for a single-card setup)
  • CPU: AMD Sempron 145 ($42, 45W, nothing fancy)
  • GPU: AMD 5970 (available from a friend, used)
  • PSU: Antex HCG-750 750W (sale with rebate for $69)
  • Storage: Either headless off a USB, or perhaps a small Intel SSD

I already have a case.

Couple questions:

1. The better MB would obviously allow me to expand to other cards, but if I add other cards, they probably won't be 5970s due to availability and cost, so it'll be a mix-match setup. Other plus on the better MB would be that I could potentially expand the computer to other uses in the future.
2. Cooling: Recommendations? Keep in mind it's going to be living at an office, so emphasis needs to be on quiet.
3. PSU: Looks like the 5970s pull around 300W, so I'm wondering if the 750W PSU will be sufficient if I want to expand to 2 cards in the future.

I'd be particularly interested in other folks who are running boxes in an office. I'm a bit worried about the heat... Of course, if it becomes a problem, I can move it home, but then no free electricity!

Thanks for your thoughts!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 08:07:21 PM

1. The better MB would obviously allow me to expand to other cards, but if I add other cards, they probably won't be 5970s due to availability and cost, so it'll be a mix-match setup. Other plus on the better MB would be that I could potentially expand the computer to other uses in the future.
2. Cooling: Recommendations? Keep in mind it's going to be living at an office, so emphasis needs to be on quiet.
3. PSU: Looks like the 5970s pull around 300W, so I'm wondering if the 750W PSU will be sufficient if I want to expand to 2 cards in the future.
1. Up to you.
2. 5970 is the antithesis of quiet.  It is brutally loud.  It also generates immense heat.  2 going at full bore will easily increase the temp in your office by 10-20 degrees.  Only option is watercooling or accelero 5970 (if you can find one).
3. One, yes.  Two 5970s, not reliably.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
sunbird (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 08:20:48 PM

1. Up to you.
2. 5970 is the antithesis of quiet.  It is brutally loud.  It also generates immense heat.  2 going at full bore will easily increase the temp in your office by 10-20 degrees.  Only option is watercooling or accelero 5970 (if you can find one).
3. One, yes.  Two 5970s, not reliably.

Thanks. Yeah, I was worried about the noise and the heat. Sad

What if I were to switch to a different GPU? Are there any options out there that would work with the above setup and possibly not make my office a sauna?

I could go up to the COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W for the PSU, but it's $199. Any decent 1000W options between the one listed above and this one? $135 is quite the price jump...

I may just have to bite the bullet and have it at the house.
Pipesnake
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 08:27:35 PM

The 5970 is actually one of the most efficient cards out there (mh/watt).  Any other combo is likely to generate more heat (all things being equal).  Unless you can vent the heat outside you're basically SOL.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
sunbird (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 10:25:21 PM

The 5970 is actually one of the most efficient cards out there (mh/watt).  Any other combo is likely to generate more heat (all things being equal).  Unless you can vent the heat outside you're basically SOL.

So I will look into other spots to put it where heat/noise won't be a problem.

Any other comments on this config?
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 11:11:55 PM

Multiple cards of that caliber produces a ton if heat for a case if you're doing that go with liquid.cooling you can achive dead silent

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Reckman

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 02:44:48 PM

Liquid cooling is not silent, you still have a radiator and fans
Pipesnake
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:33:06 AM

And if the radiator is in your office it's still going to heat up.

Nousplatform Youtube     
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:39:12 AM

And if the radiator is in your office it's still going to heat up.

If said office is too small to handle the increased temperatures from 2 5970 he needs a bigger office. as far as liquid cooling not being toally silent you're right i agree but it's a lot quieter than the fans you'd have to stuff in a case to keep 2 5970 cool.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
sunbird (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 06:33:24 PM

In case anyone else goes this route, I wanted to give my final specs now that I've got everything up and running.

• Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3
  • CPU: AMD Sempron 145
  • PSU: Antec HCG 750W
  • CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 - This was probably overkill, but definitely quiet and keeps the CPU nice and cool.
  • GPU #1: 5970
  • GPU #2: 4830 - This one gets about 78 Mhash at stock clocks, I got it for free from a friend and threw it in on a whim. I might get a better card after I get some BTCs out of this rig.
  • Three case fans, 80mm.
  • EVERCOOL SB-F1 PCI Slot Case Cooler - Sitting directly below the 4830, which has helped that card stay cool.

I'm running it headless, ubuntu 11.04 and getting about 720Mhash out of the two cards. I'm sure I can tweak it up. Once I underclocked the mem to 300, temps are steady at 80 with the fans set at 80.

This is too loud to run during the day at full loads,  but I'm planning on setting it to generate at lower loads during the workday. With the fans at 50%, it's not too loud, and I should be able to get a decent hash rate.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: