Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:26:18 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accepting Bitcoins on eBay?  (Read 1024 times)
brush242 (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:37:51 PM

Has anyone got any experience with, or links concerning, accepting BTC on eBay?

I have a few things I would like to get rid of, and I wonder if anyone has any tips, or tricks, or pitfalls?

Thanks in advance!

Support sidehack miner development. Donations to: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
vadoff

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:14:32 PM

I don't think it's possible, eBay usually only accepts payments from a few sources.
They also heavily enforce that their fees get paid, so not sure how you can get paid in BTC instead.
Kenshin

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:29:06 PM

I have a few things I would like to get rid of, and I wonder if anyone has any tips, or tricks, or pitfalls?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to get rid of your bitcoins, use localbitcoins instead.

Once eBay do a search and discover you are selling bitcoin, they will close your PayPal account and freeze your eBay account.

It is not worth it. I got my PayPal and eBay accounts freezed, it took me over 1 month to get it back. That was because I was selling bitcoin mining equipments. If I was selling bitcoins, they told me, they will close it permanently. 
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:42:09 PM

I don't think it's possible, eBay usually only accepts payments from a few sources.
They also heavily enforce that their fees get paid, so not sure how you can get paid in BTC instead.
That was what I figured, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Support sidehack miner development. Donations to: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:45:01 PM

Once eBay do a search and discover you are selling bitcoin, they will close your PayPal account and freeze your eBay account.

It is not worth it. I got my PayPal and eBay accounts freezed, it took me over 1 month to get it back. That was because I was selling bitcoin mining equipments. If I was selling bitcoins, they told me, they will close it permanently.

Exactly, this is what I was trying to avoid. No real surprise there, that company has always been a bit discombobulated. Thank you.

timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:23:09 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2014, 02:34:11 AM by timk225

I've thought about taking BTC for ebay auctions, and the only way I see to do it is to list it with a dollar amount as usual, then in big bold print in the description write that it is for sale for BitCoin only.  I'd also list the item for a longer time, like 7 or 10 days, then stop the auction one full day before it ends to avoid paying ebay fees if someone doesn't read the directions and does bid cash on it.

I'd love to do this just to cheat ebay out of their bullshit high fees.  10% on any computer parts sales plus listing fees!

Also, write something like "PAY WITH BITCOIN" in the item title so everyone sees it.
overunity

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:25:12 PM

Thanks in advance!

There are lots of people selling Bitcoin on ebay ,they have a crpto currency section for it so I cannot see it being an issue .

They will not let you accept bitcoin as payment for goods ,all my adverts that offered bitcoin as a payment option were taken down .
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:28:01 PM

I doubt that will happen anytime soon. They used to ban people and close listings using other payment processors like AlertPay before. They accept some sources that they have agreements with regarding fees I think.
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:42:01 PM

I'd love to do this just to cheat ebay out of their bullshit high fees.  10% on any computer parts sales plus listing fees!

Meh. It is a private company, it can't force you to do anything, and it is entitled to pursue business however it wishes.

However, the fees are far too high, and it has skrewt me over many times. I use it if I must, but always try to use other options first.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 01:04:56 AM

If you put your items in the test auction category and follow the formatting guidelines, you can sell for BTC on eBay.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-no-item.html

Quote from: Test listings
A test listing can come in handy if you want to check your listing before posting it for everyone to see. However, to make sure people don't confuse them with actual listings, certain conditions need to be met (see below). Also, standard listing fees apply for test listings.

For test listings, be sure to follow all of these guidelines:

Use the Everything Else > Test Auctions category only.

The word "test" has to appear in both the listing title and the listing description.

Have only 10 test listings at a time.

For test Feedback left or received for a test listing, follow all of these guidelines:

Create an account that you can use to leave or receive Feedback for a test listing. Don't use the account you have for buying or selling. If we see an account that breaks this rule, that account may be subject to suspension.

Make sure the test Feedback is used for testing purposes only. (If something looks amiss, we may remove test Feedback to avoid problems.)

The word "test" has to appear in the listing title and the description.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Mark Stazzo

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 10:16:40 PM

no way, they will suspend account if you will try to.
Lucky Cris

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 10:43:27 PM

I'd also list the item for a longer time, like 7 or 10 days, then stop the auction one full day before it ends to avoid paying ebay fees if someone doesn't read the directions and does bid cash on it.

eBay charged me last month for just listing an item... and it didn't even sell.

navigatrix

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 11:07:19 PM

real simple: don't!

eBay has lost it's original vision and has become a financial behemoth in it's own right and promoter for larger companies. It's original concept as an on-line garage sale and selling platform for smaller businesses has been abandoned.

Even if you're toe-ing the line and using Paypal, as a small seller one or two psychotic buyers can take you down, with NO appeal process to get back in. This happened to me when they changed the rules in Aug 2010. I had been an eBay seller for 11 years, and went from a Silver Powerseller to permanently dumped by November, even though I always delivered as promised. Bottom line, if they don't like what you're doing, you're dirt.

It's time someone developed viable competition to eBay, including BTC payment.

my two satoshi's...
timk225

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:35:21 AM

You can list an item for sale and mention BitCoin in the title and then somewhere at the start of the description, then when you see someone bid on your item, send them a message saying it's BTC only for purchase, and it's X amount of BTC or nothing.

The buyer could do it or they could tattletale on you to ebay.  Could go either way.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:21:58 AM

Have you tried listing your goods on Gumtree, stating that you accept Bitcoin as a form of payment? Of course you may not get as much interest on there but it is worth a shot.

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 07:14:25 PM

Aww I thought this thread was about bitcoins being accepted by ebay.  That would have been some good news in my book.  I wouldn't suggest selling on ebay from the stories I've read about ebay and bitcoin it would not be worth your time.
timk225

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:29:52 AM

The new version of Silk Road accepts BTC.  But it's not the biggest market for whatever you're selling.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: