Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:07:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul Grignon Just made Bitcoin killer  (Read 6308 times)
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 04:16:12 AM

To ask the question again - what stops defaults from happening in this wonderful world?   

If the answer is "trust" them I'm out. 

The same thing that keeps every market honest. Feedback. Only producers with verifiable credit history will be allowed to issue credit. If the power company wants to issue me credits in exchange for my boat parts I think they are good for it, if they are not I will leave negative feedback.
What's defined as verifiable credit history?  Allowed by whom?

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 04:39:44 AM

Cool, a guy who doesn't understand money or economics is making a Bitcoin-killer. Good luck with that. Wink
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:33:07 AM

Can you summarise?  I am not very patient with long YouTube videos and gave up.

The only point I got was something about self issued debt. Not sure why anyone would agree to sell me a car on this basis.

The average adult reads prose text at 250 to 300 words per minute (of course, we are all above average here). The recommended speed for books on tape is 150 to 160 words per minute.  So its a useful rule of thumb that if there is no transcript, the video isn't worth watching Cheesy
Xav

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:39:42 AM

I love it he is creating digital CURRENCY with a definable unit and an elastic supply.

Interesting. Now I wonder what's the value of 1 BTC according this RICI-system, considering today's 12 million BTCs?
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:51:48 AM

To ask the question again - what stops defaults from happening in this wonderful world?   

If the answer is "trust" them I'm out. 

The same thing that keeps every market honest. Feedback. Only producers with verifiable credit history will be allowed to issue credit. If the power company wants to issue me credits in exchange for my boat parts I think they are good for it, if they are not I will leave negative feedback.

In the real world I will insist that you pay in advance, give me a bank guarantee, irrevocable letter of credit or put funds into my lawyer's escrow account before I do business with you.  Feedback is overrated.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:57:20 AM

congratulations! you invented the credit card.   Undecided

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 01:59:36 PM

seems like the same fundamental misunderstanding as the venus project people have. business to business barter could never take the place of money because it is necessary to have a heterogeneous unit of account inorder to have prices. Prices are necissary inorder to calculate profit and loss and inorder to account for opportunity costs. Calculating profit loss and opportunity costs is necessary in order to rationally allocate scarce resources and to communicate, in a useful way, the decentralized knowledge of individual market actors. Self issued credit is great, but it must be priced, and inorder to do this you need a widely understood unit of account.

so imagine trying to know how many shoes an elevator is worth, and how many elevators a mongoose is worth, and how many mongeese a cheeseburger is worth, with out using "money" as an intermediary step.

Value is all relative, but use money to count value will generate some stickiness. I guess just like mining, eventually everything's price will be decided by the electricity and time used

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:02:03 PM

Grignon's understanding is not very accurate: Commercial banks can not create credit money without enough base money at hand

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:57:17 PM

Grignon's understanding is not very accurate: Commercial banks can not create credit money without enough base money at hand

All they have to do is satisfy reserve ratio requirements. Usually that's about 10 to 1.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:08:19 PM

seems like the same fundamental misunderstanding as the venus project people have. business to business barter could never take the place of money because it is necessary to have a heterogeneous unit of account inorder to have prices. Prices are necissary inorder to calculate profit and loss and inorder to account for opportunity costs. Calculating profit loss and opportunity costs is necessary in order to rationally allocate scarce resources and to communicate, in a useful way, the decentralized knowledge of individual market actors. Self issued credit is great, but it must be priced, and inorder to do this you need a widely understood unit of account.

so imagine trying to know how many shoes an elevator is worth, and how many elevators a mongoose is worth, and how many mongeese a cheeseburger is worth, with out using "money" as an intermediary step.

Value is all relative, but use money to count value will generate some stickiness. I guess just like mining, eventually everything's price will be decided by the electricity and time used

Sickness doesn't have to be generated, it is the natural state of the universe, some choices can mitigate it, but none can ever eliminate it.

Value to an individual is relative sure, of course. But by pricing those relative valuations with a common unit of account it becomes possible to gain an understanding of what sorts of trade offs in the deployment of scarce resources maximize utility for those individuals as per their own relative valuations.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:04:11 PM

All they have to do is satisfy reserve ratio requirements. Usually that's about 10 to 1.

And most of the time they barely satisfy this requirement. When a crisis hit, they can't create credit money to buy themselves out of trouble, since most of their money is checkbook money which can not be used to create checkbook money

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:00:44 PM

And most of the time they barely satisfy this requirement. When a crisis hit, they can't create credit money to buy themselves out of trouble, since most of their money is checkbook money which can not be used to create checkbook money

they cant use their own checkbook money but the checkbook money they hold on deposit for others is considered as reserve.

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:44:15 AM

Grignon gets it right, go read debunking economics by Steve Keen.. When you go to the bank and take out a loan the money is never there you are not borrowing other peoples savings. The money springs into existence out of thin air when you sign your name to the paper for the loan. If all debts public and private where to be paid off currency would no longer exist. Look at keens debt based modeling and learn about hyman minsky

To the haters we will see. I am not saying Pauls coin but it or something like it will make bitcoin irrelevant for transactions of anything other than black market goods or payment for lap dances. 
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:04:20 AM

Oh Satoshi please stop with the haters thing already. It's a stupid and very obvious way to try to discredit those who disagree with you, nevermind WHY they disagree. The dudes proposal doesn't make much sense to those in this thread so far, explain it better than he did or stfu.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:30:45 AM

Oh Satoshi please stop with the haters thing already. It's a stupid and very obvious way to try to discredit those who disagree with you, nevermind WHY they disagree. The dudes proposal doesn't make much sense to those in this thread so far, explain it better than he did or stfu.

It makes perfect sense.. It makes sense to me, I bet it makes sense to peter schiff, paul krugmon, alan greenspan, gary north, and the hundred others who have pointed out why bitcoin will never be a nations currency and isnt useful to replace government issued fiat or as the basis of an economy.

Pauls concept has the power to change the world bitcoin doesnt.

kaito

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:43:19 AM

Pauls concept has the power to change the world bitcoin doesnt.
Except that bitcoin has already changed the world.
Impaler

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:13:24 AM

Ok the flaws I see are myriad

The 'producers' who issue credit are doing two things issuing credit AND setting a completely arbitrary 'price' for their goods.  Nothing really links the value of their goods with how much credit 'units' they declare their goods to be worth.

If the producers ever needs to raise prices (due to a legitimate change in their cost structure) then how are old credit vouchers treated.  If their nominal 'value' in 'permanent coin units' is their real value then the people holding these vouchers have lost purchasing power. 

If on the other hand these credits are really going to be worth '1 loaf of bread' for ever and always then their nominal units are meaningless and they will function as commodity futures and their will not be Fungible.

Given the fact that some issuers will shutdown with outstanding credits this will make holding them risky and hence less liquid then real money.

Now I don't particularly see anything wrong with the idea of a whole bunch of cryptographic futures contracts and a system of buisness-2-buisness bartering but it will not become 'money' even to the degree that BTC has.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:58:16 AM

they cant use their own checkbook money but the checkbook money they hold on deposit for others is considered as reserve.

Grignon is right about the interest part (ever expanding debt in order to pay back the interest), but the FRB part is not very clear. The reserve is always base money, which can be circulated and lent. The amount of base money limited the total checkbook money they can create

By the way, if the interest rate are close to zero and there is certain level of inflation, then over time the debt can be reduced slowly due to lower and lower real debt, that is a way for today's system to cope with the shrinking period of economy, like Japan did during past 2 decades

An extremely low interest rate and excessive money supply will be the norm for the next few years, good for bitcoin

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 05:04:35 AM

Grignon is right about the interest part (ever expanding debt in order to pay back the interest), but the FRB part is not very clear. The reserve is always base money, which can be circulated and lent. The amount of base money limited the total checkbook money they can create

By the way, if the interest rate are close to zero and there is certain level of inflation, then over time the debt can be reduced slowly due to lower and lower real debt, that is a way for today's system to cope with the shrinking period of economy, like Japan did during past 2 decades

An extremely low interest rate and excessive money supply will be the norm for the next few years, good for bitcoin

The first paragraph is exactly right. But if you think through the logic, you can never have a decrease in total debt, in nominal terms, with a posative or 0 interest rate, without introducing the variable of open market operations. For the debt to decrease in nominal terms you would need a negative interest rate again, assuming we do not include the variable of open market operations. I assume what you mean is that the growth in productivity can in theory outpace the increase in debt with very low interest rates? Do I have that right?

Xav

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:38:30 PM

I love it he is creating digital CURRENCY with a definable unit and an elastic supply.

Interesting. Now I wonder what's the value of 1 BTC according this RICI-system, considering today's 12 million BTCs?

Still waiting for an answer ....
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: