Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:41:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The forum is now unusable via Tor  (Read 1032 times)
Mt. Dox (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:25:16 AM

The forum is now unusable via Tor. Almost all exit nodes are banned. Everytime I start Tor I have to hit "new identity" and try again over and over. It took 14 times to login to this session. You also have to change the MaxCircuitDirtiness or you will be banned by the time you hit "Submit" on your post.

Now that theymos is fixing things, please unban Tor exit nodes. If needs be I would pay towards a bounty to have this implemented.

Help Mt. Dox bring Bitcoin scammers to justice - Donate to us: 1LAfPbb26RZ8vapELyXcMqHYEMd6g1mmrz
TradeFortress - owner of now defunct websites inputs.io and coinlenders.com - 4100BTC+ missing:
Full Dox   -   List of Bitcoin addresses with a balance
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:36:01 AM

The forum is now unusable via Tor. Almost all exit nodes are banned. Everytime I start Tor I have to hit "new identity" and try again over and over. It took 14 times to login to this session. You also have to change the MaxCircuitDirtiness or you will be banned by the time you hit "Submit" on your post.

Now that theymos is fixing things, please unban Tor exit nodes. If needs be I would pay towards a bounty to have this implemented.

I'd imagine its people that use Tor that end up getting IP Banned, not that Tor nodes were specifically targeted. I could be wrong though, but that is my best guess.
Mt. Dox (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:47:53 AM

I'd imagine its people that use Tor that end up getting IP Banned, not that Tor nodes were specifically targeted. I could be wrong though, but that is my best guess.

Yes thats exactly what it is, Theymos has confirmed this before. Somebody using Tor gets banned and every exit they were using gets banned too. But now it's got to the point where Tor is unusable and Tor exit nodes should be auto-unbanned. Perhaps a cronjob that runs every couple of days that scrapes the Tor exit API and removes the IP's from the banlist.

Or, even better, bitcointalk.org runs a Tor hidden service. It would that solve this problem, be very easy to do and the people using it would be protected from SSL MITM attacks, one of which happened to bitcointalk a few weeks ago. Downside is the extra admin time that would be required to run a Tor client.

I'd be willing to donate to a bounty for either of these. Would donate a lot more for a hidden service though!

Help Mt. Dox bring Bitcoin scammers to justice - Donate to us: 1LAfPbb26RZ8vapELyXcMqHYEMd6g1mmrz
TradeFortress - owner of now defunct websites inputs.io and coinlenders.com - 4100BTC+ missing:
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:53:46 AM

I go through the ban list and remove them every week or two.

There's a Tor option to change exit nodes less frequently. Then when you find one that works, it doesn't stop working in 10 minutes.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Mt. Dox (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:58:13 AM

Didn't know that. That sounds good. Perhaps some old account was banned recently because most of the exit nodes are banned right now.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:14:50 AM

There's a Tor option to change exit nodes less frequently. Then when you find one that works, it doesn't stop working in 10 minutes.
It was already proposed by someone: don't you think whitelisting registered users would do the trick?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:03:10 PM

I doubt a bitcoin forum would target tor nodes. IMHO The issue is that it's used by random spamming bots when they are IP banned. and for that even if they were unbanned now, if someone abuses them again to spam they will be blacklisted etc...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: