Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 02:00:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-01-04] The Texas Tribune : Stockman Enters Legal Gray Area With Bitcoins  (Read 891 times)
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:48:33 PM

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/01/03/stockman-enters-legal-grey-area-bitcoin-donations/

This should be a concern for them. Tax and Bitcoins will always be a headache.

U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman, a Friendswood Republican with a history of flouting campaign finance laws, entered a new legal gray area this week when he announced his campaign can now accept donations in Bitcoin, a private virtual currency.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1304

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 04:01:44 PM

Forcing the freedom/free speech issue with the FEC and Feds in General is a good thing. :-)
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:54:10 PM

https://stockman2014.com/donation-pages/Donate
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:06:47 AM

Something wrong there. No mention of Bitcoins, no QR codes. Only CC payments accepted.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 08:35:42 AM

The QR he's holding is https://www.biteasy.com/blockchain/addresses/1EVJyd8TbHBMUiMn6ogQ1PXbqoEZVp31Hz

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:41:00 AM

Thanks for posting it. So far he has received BTC 0.55870704

That's more than $550. Not a bad amount, and that too within the last 120 hours or so!
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:42:54 PM

I don't know Stockman but he seems to me to be another dubious character jumping on the bitcoin bandwagon for publicity.

From the article" This man is running for the Senate in a state with 26 million people. By conventional measures, he is not doing it well. One recent poll had him down by 44 points. Also, of the 12 groups listed under “past and present endorsements” on Stockman’s Senate campaign site, as of Friday at least seven had not actually endorsed him for the Senate.

Another “endorsement” is attributed to Howard Phillips, a conservative activist who died seven months before Stockman got in the race.

After The Washington Post inquired about problems with the endorsements list, Ferguson said the information was being updated, and on Saturday the endorsements page had disappeared."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/rep-steve-stockman-of-texas-goes-it-alone-in-republican-primary-against-sen-john-cornyn/2014/01/04/1a7f9098-748e-11e3-8b3f-b1666705ca3b_story.html
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:59:43 PM

I don't know Stockman but he seems to me to be another dubious character jumping on the bitcoin bandwagon for publicity.

From the article" This man is running for the Senate in a state with 26 million people. By conventional measures, he is not doing it well. One recent poll had him down by 44 points. Also, of the 12 groups listed under “past and present endorsements” on Stockman’s Senate campaign site, as of Friday at least seven had not actually endorsed him for the Senate.

Another “endorsement” is attributed to Howard Phillips, a conservative activist who died seven months before Stockman got in the race.

After The Washington Post inquired about problems with the endorsements list, Ferguson said the information was being updated, and on Saturday the endorsements page had disappeared."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/rep-steve-stockman-of-texas-goes-it-alone-in-republican-primary-against-sen-john-cornyn/2014/01/04/1a7f9098-748e-11e3-8b3f-b1666705ca3b_story.html

He has no chance of winning the senate primary against a heavyweight like Cornyn... but he will remain as the United States Representative for Texas's 36th congressional district.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:10:48 PM

He has no chance of winning the senate primary against a heavyweight like Cornyn... but he will remain as the United States Representative for Texas's 36th congressional district.
Sen. Cruz is the popular one from TX, not Cornyn. All Stockman needs to do is raise his name ID and he'll be able to raise plenty of money from conservative and libertarian PACs all across the country (Club 4 Growth, FreedomWorks, Americans For Prosperity, Senate Conservatives' Fund, etc). The guy has a strong voting record @ FreedomWorks and he can take the Cruz path to victory over the establishment pick. Plus, it's early and these polls always look like this in a primary this soon. This guy is heavily liked in the Ron Paul/Rand Paul wing of the GOP.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:24:53 AM

Sen. Cruz is the popular one from TX, not Cornyn. All Stockman needs to do is raise his name ID and he'll be able to raise plenty of money from conservative and libertarian PACs all across the country (Club 4 Growth, FreedomWorks, Americans For Prosperity, Senate Conservatives' Fund, etc). The guy has a strong voting record @ FreedomWorks and he can take the Cruz path to victory over the establishment pick. Plus, it's early and these polls always look like this in a primary this soon. This guy is heavily liked in the Ron Paul/Rand Paul wing of the GOP.

Check this. 44 points behind. Do you think he is having any chance of winning this race?
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:08:42 AM

Check this. 44 points behind. Do you think he is having any chance of winning this race?
Of course he does and yes, I'm well aware of the numbers right now. I mostly hang w/ the politcos on ronpaulforums and we do social networking and fundraising for many of these pro-liberty politicians/upcomers. Among my local liberty activists here in Mich, we helped get Rep. Bentivolio elected who is way better than his predecessor even tho he hasn't measured up to Paul or Amash. Trying to build my web site up to be an engine of buzz and fundraising for pro-liberty politicians and new comers that are primarying dipshit republicans. Stockman has all the conservative/libertarian credentials to be a serious contender to Cornyn and the incumbent always has the benefit of the doubt in terms of polling numbers against any competitor. He's a big fish to be sure but Goliath can be slayed w/ the right David and Stockman is it. In addition to the aforementioned PACs, Stockman is generating support and money from gun groups like the Nat'l Association for Gun Rights (heavily backed by Rand and like minds) as well as Gun Owners of America among others. Plus, grassroots tea party folk and the broader liberty political movement across the US donate as things move forward. Stockman is a big advocate of a FED audit like the Paul's which translates into his new found enthusiasm for BTC, showing a radical & rebel state of mind.

Not sure whether you're plugged into the grassroots of the GOP but the party base is sick of RINOs and there's a trend happening to support legitimate libertarian republicans over the establishment and it's going on everywhere. Even the grassroots activists are becoming involved in their local GOP as delegates and district and state cmte people that are voted in which affects state party leadership. I'm a delegate in my district's party and everyone on our district cmte, including all officers, and all but one of our state cmte delegation is for Rand Paul and this conversion has happened in a only a year or two but it's happening all over translating into these type candidates having outsider traction like never before. Even tho I'm an ancap w/ no affinity for anything state related, I still enjoy networking and converting more grassroots republicans into libertarians as part of my crusade against the state writ large. If nothing else, we should be thankful that this man is giving our cause more press and donate some FRNs his way, I have and will continue to do so. As we have everything to gain from BTC and more liberty, these pro-liberty politicians have to deal w/ the machine up close and personal and I'm obliged to tip ($$$) my hat to that and for all they're doing on my behalf even if it only slows the growth of the state in the short term.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: