Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:35:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Poster I made to introduce folk to Bitcoin  (Read 1022 times)
johnj (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:28:00 PM

I'm kinda new, so I wanted to take what I've learned and break it down into very simple points, so other newbies could maybe glance at it and get a feel for how bitcoin works.

Also, if I'm wrong about anything, lemme know.  Note though this isn't an indepth guide, just enough to get your feet wet.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Pearikay

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:59:09 PM

Looks good.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:07:54 PM

Hey, nicely done. The only problem I see is that (IMO) most people don't need to know anything about mining to be introduced to Bitcoin.

When I tell people about Bitcoin, I focus on the guarantees that it provides and the advantages/potential it has relative to other currencies and payment systems. I only talk about mining if asked about technical details. Just my approach, FWIW. Thanks for promoting BTC.

johnj (OP)

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:24:49 PM

Hey, nicely done. The only problem I see is that (IMO) most people don't need to know anything about mining to be introduced to Bitcoin.

When I tell people about Bitcoin, I focus on the guarantees that it provides and the advantages/potential it has relative to other currencies and payment systems. I only talk about mining if asked about technical details. Just my approach, FWIW. Thanks for promoting BTC.

Ahh yeah that makes sense.  I hadn't thought about that since my whole immersion so far has be primarily mining.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
prince_albert

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 02:51:53 AM

Looks good. Watch out though, those thin grey lines in the image on the bottom left means that image is copyrighted, and that you just have a 'sample' of it. I'd ask the author's permission or find another graphic for that place.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 05:38:00 PM

The only problem I see is that (IMO) most people don't need to know anything about mining to be introduced to Bitcoin.

This is really important. Today I bumped at this on reddit and I was surprised by the amount of people that refuses to use bitcoin because they can't install a miner/don't have a GPU/miner crashes/etc. If you want bitcoins, buy them. Mining has nothing to do with it.

If you need gold, you are not going to start digging around everywhere...
bully

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 05:43:55 PM

The only problem I see is that (IMO) most people don't need to know anything about mining to be introduced to Bitcoin.

This is really important. Today I bumped at this on reddit and I was surprised by the amount of people that refuses to use bitcoin because they can't install a miner/don't have a GPU/miner crashes/etc. If you want bitcoins, buy them. Mining has nothing to do with it.

If you need gold, you are not going to start digging around everywhere...

i think making money out of nothing is more attractive for most people than working to get some :-)
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 05:44:13 PM

Good, but just one thing: the difficulty is changed every 2016 blocks which is 2 weeks only if blocks were found at the 6blk/h rate

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 06:06:17 PM

i think making money out of nothing is more attractive for most people than working to get some :-)

I am not talking about investments opportunities. I am talking about getting bitcoins to buy stuff. If I want to pay with bitcoins, I am not going to sit around for 1 month looking at my computer and waiting for it give me a coin. I will simply buy a few coins and do my online shopping with them. New people should not be pointed towards mining unless they specifically want to know more about it.

Also, nowadays mining is not a great investment. Initial costs + electricity costs make it hard to get the invested money back quickly.
ramson

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 08:30:59 AM

interesting, i am missing a link for further information (-> this forum)
SuperTramp
Legendary

Activity: 1073
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 09:09:05 AM

Nicely Done!

MincoinForum, Home Of The World's Fastest & Rarest Cryptocurrency. https://www.mincoinforum.com
Only 10million Mincoin To Be Created. Find out more at https://www.mincoin.us
BurntSnow

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 09:25:39 AM

It's a great introduction to newbies who want to know all about it, but I think you should talk about the advantages rather than mining.

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
   ████     ███     ███   ██
 ███  ███     █████████████████
███     ███     ███           ██
 ███      ███     ██          ██
   ███      ██████████      ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

smart-ticket protocol for events
live product with market traction!
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

Activity: 198

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth.

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 10:46:40 AM

Less miners more buyers! Yes!

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth.

- Oscar Wilde
Fletch

Activity: 168

I'll have a steak sandwich and a... steak sandwich

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 11:17:04 AM

Nice!

I wouldn't expect a lot of donations though considering people have to manually type your address in from the image Smiley

HashPeak - GPU mining hashrate peak detector
BTC: 1FLETCHvcUKosefrcZCLUQTtvx4WvgnYMC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: