Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:06:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't get a 4x 6990 rig to work  (Read 3369 times)
tnkflx (OP)

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:47:00 PM

I have following parts:

- 4x Sapphire Radeon 6990
- Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 Motherboard
- 2x Antec 1200 Watt PSU's coupled together
- 4x 16x PCIe extender with power connected to the PSU directly.
- Windows 7 64-bit
- ATI 11.8 drivers

However, I can't get everything to work together. Up to 3 cards, everything works stable. When I add the 4th, the system almost always (99% of the time) doesn't boot and stops at BIOS error code 25h:
Early PCI initialization:
- Enumerate PCI bus number
- Assign memory & I/O resource
- Search for a valid VGA device & VGA BIOS, and put it into C000:0

From my testing it seems that there's something wrong with the first card even though it works perfect in a 2-way and 3-way setup. When the system powers up, the 3 other cards seem to start and spin up, while the first, even though it spins, doesn't make as much noise and doesn't generate as much 'wind'. I also have to move my monitor to the 2nd card or I don't get a picture...

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SMOKEU

Activity: 495
Merit: 10

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 11:02:11 PM

Have you tried using the "bad" card on its own with no other video cards?

██████████████  CARTESI 📱 LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCALABLE DAPPS  ██████████████
█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇█
tnkflx (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 07:12:45 AM

Have you tried using the "bad" card on its own with no other video cards?

That same card works fine in the same slot in a 2-way setup...

Striker

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 08:48:36 PM

Hi,

I have following parts:

- Windows 7 64-bit
- ATI 11.8 drivers

However, I can't get everything to work together. Up to 3 cards, everything works stable. When I add the 4th, the system almost always (99% of the time) doesn't boot and stops at BIOS error code 25h:

From my testing it seems that there's something wrong with the first card even though it works perfect in a 2-way and 3-way setup. When the system powers up, the 3 other cards seem to start and spin up, while the first, even though it spins, doesn't make as much noise and doesn't generate as much 'wind'. I also have to move my monitor to the 2nd card or I don't get a picture...

Seems to me a Clear PSU Problem.
Are you sure the two power supplies Are correctly connected?
Meaning same Ground (that should be ok otherwyse you would not have a motherboard or other components by now. And maybe a lot of smoke ... )
And pin 14, the green wire for ATX power up and boot.

Seems to me the pin 14 is not correctly connected on Both ATX connectors.
Hence One of the PSU's that feeds the cards does not boot, does not deliver power.

The fact that the fans do not work properly almost proves the point.

By the way, Googling I found the same error 25 and somebody solved the exact same issue.

Regards.
tnkflx (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 09:53:09 PM

I have following parts:

- Windows 7 64-bit
- ATI 11.8 drivers

Seems to me a Clear PSU Problem.
Are you sure the two power supplies Are correctly connected?
Meaning same Ground (that should be ok otherwyse you would not have a motherboard or other components by now. And maybe a lot of smoke ... )
And pin 14, the green wire for ATX power up and boot.

Seems to me the pin 14 is not correctly connected on Both ATX connectors.
Hence One of the PSU's that feeds the cards does not boot, does not deliver power.

The fact that the fans do not work properly almost proves the point.

I'm using the Dual PSU 24-Pin Adapter Cable from Cablesaurus to connect both PSU's. All 4 cards are divided among the 2 PSU's, why would this not work?

By the way, Googling I found the same error 25 and somebody solved the exact same issue.

Do you have the link, I'm not finding it Sad

Striker

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:05:06 AM

Hi,

I'm using the Dual PSU 24-Pin Adapter Cable from Cablesaurus to connect both PSU's. All 4 cards are divided among the 2 PSU's, why would this not work?

Did you actually checked for the pin's actual electrical connectivity with a multimeter ?
These thing can be pushed and disconnected no matter what brand they are ...

Do you have the link, I'm not finding it Sad

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/epox-motherboards/39886-post-error-code-25-a.html
Check post 11,12 ...

Regards.
tnkflx (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 05:10:39 PM

It's fixed now. There's not enough resources available to start the machine when there 4x dual GPU cards installed. When I disable the F-USB3.0, eSATA3, GSATA3 and R-USB3.0 controllers in the BIOS, the machine starts up with all 4 cards...

It's working fine now...

m3sSh3aD

Activity: 322

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 06:08:16 PM

It's fixed now. There's not enough resources available to start the machine when there 4x dual GPU cards installed. When I disable the F-USB3.0, eSATA3, GSATA3 and R-USB3.0 controllers in the BIOS, the machine starts up with all 4 cards...

It's working fine now...

I know your mobo is high end, But i've had a couple of broken gigabytes. I'd be using powered molex connectors on your extenders if i was you on at least 2 of them cards as they'll be drawing ALOT of power through the mobo. I had 1 board sending power down the EARTH and burn the 24 pin on my Akasa 1200W, which i now use just in the video cards and is fine.

Just a word of warning from my experiences. Interesting someones got 4 of these beasts running in windows (8 GPUS). I feel for your wallet though..... i hope your doing it for the BTC and not profit...... Smiley at least until it goes back upto $5 at least with the cost of them beasts. I'd be suprised if you get 2.8G/hash out of it. Be nice see CGMiner with 8GPU's running in it Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 07:45:58 PM

Just a word of warning from my experiences. Interesting someones got 4 of these beasts running in windows (8 GPUS).

Why would you be surprise to get 2.8GH/s out of it?  That's only 350MH per GU which is pretty easy for a 5970.  I got 2.9GH/s out of 4x5970 but found 3x5970 to be "easier" (no need for powered extenders, ability to use single PSU, etc).

To OP nice catch on BIOS resource issues.  I usually shutoff all that extra junk just to save wattage.  Never would have thought that would cause a resource limitation issue though.
tnkflx (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 08:25:37 PM

It's working fine now...

I know your mobo is high end, But i've had a couple of broken gigabytes. I'd be using powered molex connectors on your extenders if i was you on at least 2 of them cards as they'll be drawing ALOT of power through the mobo. I had 1 board sending power down the EARTH and burn the 24 pin on my Akasa 1200W, which i now use just in the video cards and is fine.

All 4 of them are powered via powered molex connectors on the extensions Smiley And the whole machine is powered by 2x 1200W Antecs.

Just a word of warning from my experiences. Interesting someones got 4 of these beasts running in windows (8 GPUS). I feel for your wallet though..... i hope your doing it for the BTC and not profit...... Smiley at least until it goes back upto $5 at least with the cost of them beasts. I'd be suprised if you get 2.8G/hash out of it. Be nice see CGMiner with 8GPU's running in it Smiley

BTC is one of the reasons, but this machine has other uses as well. And I get approx. 3G/hash out of it... I'll see whether I can get cgminer running, currently it's using GUI Miner.

tnkflx (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 08:26:47 PM

Just a word of warning from my experiences. Interesting someones got 4 of these beasts running in windows (8 GPUS).

Why would you be surprise to get 2.8GH/s out of it?  That's only 350MH per GU which is pretty easy for a 5970.  I got 2.9GH/s out of 4x5970 but found 3x5970 to be "easier" (no need for powered extenders, ability to use single PSU, etc).

To OP nice catch on BIOS resource issues.  I usually shutoff all that extra junk just to save wattage.  Never would have thought that would cause a resource limitation issue though.

Yep, it was a suprise to me as well Smiley Also, I have to Gigabyte support kudos for this as I opened a ticket with them to get it working... It took a while, but it's solved Smiley

m3sSh3aD

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 09:04:56 PM

Sounds good mate, Well done on getting it all going. I recon you'll squeeze a bit more than 3 with CGminer over GUI miner, there a topic about flags (1st page) in hardware, Should be near top as taxesanddeath and p4cman have a grudge about me giving advice and help because 'BTC's' are not worth mining. Maybe not in there world Wink

Taxes - 8 5850's Oc'd like mine will beat 4 5970's/6990's, at less than 1/3rd of the price. Why cant you accept that haha. Nevermind 5870's. They wont need OC'ing! No offense to the OP cause its nice see someone get 4 of them cards working. Hence why i help but finacially there a silly buy. Specially with the new lower price. It's because of people like you who whore your coins that they go down in price, and yet you moan the loadest... noticed that
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 09:13:21 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2011, 09:23:55 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Sounds good mate, Well done on getting it all going. I recon you'll squeeze a bit more than 3 with CGminer over GUI miner, there a topic about flags (1st page) in hardware, Should be near top as taxesanddeath and p4cman have a grudge about me giving advice and help because 'BTC's' are not worth mining. Maybe not in there world Wink

Nobody has a grudge.  You just foolishly tried to defend how mining at a loss makes sense because you can double your money and assorted other nonsense.

Taxes - 8 5850's Oc'd like mine will beat 4 5970's/6990's, at less than 1/3rd of the price. Why cant you accept that haha. Nevermind 5870's. They wont need OC'ing! No offense to the OP cause its nice see someone get 4 of them cards working. Hence why i help but finacially there a silly buy. Specially with the new lower price. It's because of people like you who whore your coins that they go down in price, and yet you moan the loadest... noticed that

As it has been pointed out to you 5970s have be found in the past for $400 new and easily obtained used for $300 - $350.  You did not find 5850s for $50 ea so your claim is false.  Nobody is building rigs out of $700 GPU (except in your mind so you can "beat" them).

3x5970 = <$1000
MB, RAM, CPU, USB drive, LinuxCoin, 2x 120mm fans = <$240
1200W PSU = $250
Total <$1500 for 2.3GH/s and higher electrical efficiency than 5850s (a pair pull 300W+ without overclocking making them horrible for power efficiency).

BTW still waiting on that 10 BTC you promised for finding you a 5970 (the card you thought didn't exist) for sale.
m3sSh3aD

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 10:35:25 PM

Stop blurbing, I DO ALOT WITH MY BTC's, that is what i said, AT LEAST DOUBLE THEM. Thats fact mate. You want a picture of how many i have as evidence or what. Will that be enough? haha. I changed that post quick time when i read it back as you noticed, i did get 5990 in my head, not 5970 i admit for a second. But it is the 6990 that replaces the 5970. And i live in rip off britain and i payed £120 each for the 5850's. I'm happy bro, More than lol.

Back on topic, Wouldnt mind seen a pic of the rig if possible... Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 10:46:11 PM

i payed £120 each for the 5850's. I'm happy bro, More than lol.

So your claim of 1/3 the price was just BS.  So hopefully the next time you decide to spam a thread off topic you won't make asinine references to stupid people using $700 5970s given that no smart miner pays $700.  £120 a card?  Thats what $180 ea or $360 per pair, plus worse efficiency and horrible UK energy prices on top of that. 

Maybe just maybe 5970s miners know what they are doing building ultra efficient rigs.  Then again some of us want to mine at a profit not mine at a loss and then justify it.
m3sSh3aD

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 11:26:25 PM

i payed £120 each for the 5850's. I'm happy bro, More than lol.

So your claim of 1/3 the price was just BS.  So hopefully the next time you decide to spam a thread off topic you won't make asinine references to stupid people using $700 5970s given that no smart miner pays $700.  £120 a card?  Thats what $180 ea or $360 per pair, plus worse efficiency and horrible UK energy prices on top of that. 

Maybe just maybe 5970s miners know what they are doing building ultra efficient rigs.  Then again some of us want to mine at a profit not mine at a loss and then justify it.

I use OCUK for reference, as there BIGGEST sellers in UK and i just noticed, they've stopped stocking the 6990, probably because of there £600+ price tag! I'm mine cause i enjoy it, because it takes the banks out of the loop and many other reason you people so obsessed with profit couldn't even fathom out. I give help and advice to people who want to push there hardware or whatever and you cant get it out of your head that i 'assumed' i was still making a profit. I would call it border line as i well over estimated things, so yes, i may not be making a profit mining at current price of BTC's but im in it for principle. I've invested in FPGA boards so have a bitch at me about them using to much power Tongue

Here you go, silly money...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/mn/search/?ref%5F=nb%5Fsb%5Fnoss&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=6990&x=0&y=0&rd=1
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 11:35:26 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2011, 01:10:25 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Here you go, silly money...
http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1453725275&partno=100282-2GVXSR&rid=fd_10

Just because you can't find cost effective 5970s doesn't mean they don't exist.  I have noticed how every thread involving a 5970 you make comments about the person throwing the money away, getting ripped off, should have used 5850s, and dual GPU are for clueless people.

The reality is there 5970 is one of the highest performance per watt cards AND can be obtained for low cost per MH (at least by some people) AND has extremely high density.  A win-win-win.
m3sSh3aD

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 01:06:42 AM

disagree [FULL STOP]
cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 02:13:49 PM

disagree [FULL STOP]

Please actually stick to this, it's getting a little absurd reading this argument in nearly every thread you post in.

I'm happy bro, More than lol.

In the words of the late George Carlin,

"We had to put m3sSh3aD away in the home today. He was, well... more than happy"

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
MadHacker

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 09:11:21 PM

Back on topic, Wouldnt mind seen a pic of the rig if possible... Smiley

+1
love to see pictures
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print