Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:12:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will a Charity mess with my taxes  (Read 2135 times)
Wonga (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:49:18 PM

Hey all.  I know it has been a while since I posted.  I'm still looking to start a drive to raise funds for the local CCFA (Crohns & Colitis Foundation of America) here in San Diego.  I contacted the organization, and they do not take bitcoins yet.  (I'll continue working with them though)

Here's my previous post on this subject:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=272614.msg2940084#msg2940084

So...my question is this:  If I set up a charity and actually get a decent response (My wild dream is to raise 10 bitcoins), exchange the bitcoins for USD through coinbase, will it affect my taxes?  or does it become a wash? 

Here's a link to the charity I was going to attempt to raise funds for:
http://online.ccfa.org/site/TR/2012TakeStepsWalk/Chapter-GreaterSanDiegoandDesertArea?fr_id=4397&pg=entry

The 'team' would be some combination of my wife's Crohns blog and bitcoin.  I imagine i'll have her hold up a giant printed bitcoin or something.  I dunno.  Still working on a concept that wouldn't come off as corney.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:02:36 PM

What taxes...its bitcoin
Wonga (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:04:31 PM

I hope that's the case.  Let's just say when it comes to the IRS, I make very few assumptions :p
Interjekcion

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:36:03 AM

I hope that's the case.  Let's just say when it comes to the IRS, I make very few assumptions :p

There is 100% absolutely no way the IRS will leave bitcoin alone.
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 07:30:30 AM

I will only pay taxes on bitcoin, in bitcoin. And you can take THAT to the bank!   Cool
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 07:40:17 AM

If you solicit funds for charity and give them to charity the IRS won't eat you. If you solicit them and do not give them to charity they will. If you give too much earned income to charity they can eat you for that too.

I am a CCFA donor. I get way too much snail mail from them for being on their email list. It's a waste of money, they all get round filed unopened at the post office. If you talk to them please pass that along. I get fundraising, but that is redundant pissing away of contributions and really wasteful. It makes me want to stop giving them anything, to be honest.

What's your wife's blog? PM me if you prefer.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
Wonga (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 10:46:14 PM

My wife's blog is called CrohnieBolognaIBD.  Here's a link: http://crohniebolognaibd.blogspot.com/

Between blog posts, she does stuff on her Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/CrohnieBolognaIbd

My 4yo son is Autistic as well.  So she also posts a bunch of stuff about Autism and such.

Sucks to hear that the CCFA sends out spam.  I've found it is very hard to find a charity that doesn't waste a portion of their money.  That said, my wife helps out the doctors down here by counseling patients and providing a resource to those looking for patient-perspective information.  These doctors are all very involved with the Take-Steps thing.  Ultimately though, being involved gives her a strong sense of fulfillment.  And I try to help where I can.  Hell...if she can support me dumping a grand on a BFL miner, and never complaining about it for the year it took to arrive.... I can do a couple things to help out her passions.

Regarding my original question, I found this wall-of-text on Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1uccfz/i_am_a_tax_attorney_here_are_my_answers_to_the/

I haven't read through it yet as I'm too busy watching the playoffs.  But I imagine it'll be helpful.  But it sounds like if I do a 1:1 donation, like I am planning, then it'll have zero tax implications on my family.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:57:59 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2014, 04:13:22 PM by Raize

I am not a tax lawyer or accountant so I can't provide official advice, but if you collect X dollars and spend Y on helping a charity (not as a donation but as a service) the amount you have to list as income is X-Y. If you donate Z, you get reductions, but it's not 1:1 on the federal or state level. It should be as simple as that, but there are other particulars involved sometimes.

If you set it up a non-profit, you can probably avoid paying anything in taxes, especially since your fees are probably handling fees that you have to pay someone else like an exchange anyway. Keep in mind that non-profits have their own regulations and rules to follow, though.
GVanelly

Activity: 247
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:00:47 PM

The IRS will never leave bitcoin alone!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: