Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:55:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 4 Satoshi Nakamoto quotes of all time  (Read 14099 times)
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:12:40 PM

nice thread...the oldies are good.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:18:15 PM

Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.

Try telling people this. They won't believe you.
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:28:43 PM

Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.

Try telling people this. They won't believe you.

I know.

Some Nobel Prize winners said differently, and of course they have to know...
chaoticbrain

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:51:33 PM

Most great ideas involve more than one person, but usually one person is the main one.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:27:27 AM

Lots of foreigners learn English from...

... the Internet. Smiley

"bloody" or "bollocks" is too typical British so it doesn't point to an English native speaker from UK at all.

Please listen. He could have been a foreigner going to school / college in UK. People pick up the UK lingo pretty quick you know.
descarte

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 09:32:24 AM

Another reason why I believe its one person because his code is bad. that means he is an architect or strategist rather than a coder. I could code better than him. but his thought is revolutionary, probably the most revolutionary of the century.

I also believe he is not a native japanese. his english is too good unless he is like michio kaku who is a japanese brought up in a strong english speaking community like US or UK.

i actually believe its a single person. its hard for a group of people to have the same trend of thought. you see his quotes, you know it comes from one person.

It's one person writing, but they could have split up the tasks - writing, developing, etc...
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:24:53 PM

Another reason why I believe its one person because his code is bad. that means he is an architect or strategist rather than a coder. I could code better than him. but his thought is revolutionary, probably the most revolutionary of the century.

I also believe he is not a native japanese. his english is too good unless he is like michio kaku who is a japanese brought up in a strong english speaking community like US or UK.

i actually believe its a single person. its hard for a group of people to have the same trend of thought. you see his quotes, you know it comes from one person.

It's one person writing, but they could have split up the tasks - writing, developing, etc...

Let's say he was a Japanese person that went to boarding school in UK. His English would be perfect. Many many Japanese people learn go abroad to learn English. No reason to believe he wasn't born in Japan
Dr Bloggood

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

That's interesting! I know nothing about coding, so tell me: Why is the system still so secure apparently, although he is bad at coding (wouldn't that mean many people are able to crack to code) - how can he get away with bad coding? And what makes code bad? 

I have always wondered how it's possible so many people are able to create something supposedly so complex as a cryptocurrency (when you look at all the altcoins).

Plus, if he was Japanese, he would have picked a different name for sure!

Anybody who is British - do you see any non-British words somewhere in the longer quotes?

Satoshi is probably reading this and laughing right now... Hey, thanks for that great idea, man, and have fun watching how this plays out!
melmo

Activity: 213

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:51:10 PM

Let's say he was a Japanese person that went to boarding school in UK. His English would be perfect. Many many Japanese people learn go abroad to learn English. No reason to believe he wasn't born in Japan

Or maybe he's Japanese-Canadian.  That would explain the Japanese name and the perfect English with the British flavour.

Anyways, good quotes.  One day I'll around to reading his posts too.
nestor

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:05:28 PM

Within the full context of the original postings the statements are way more interesting.
E.g.: statement number 4:

"Right.  Otherwise we couldn't have a finite limit of 21 million coins, because there would always need to be some minimum reward for generating.  In a few decades when the reward gets too small, the transaction fee will become the main compensation for nodes.  I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume."

luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:13:17 PM

"I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party." - Nov 1 2008

http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg09959.html

"Instead of the supply changing to keep the value the same, the supply is predetermined and the value changes. As the number of users grows, the value per coin increases. It has the potential for a positive feedback loop; as users increase, the value goes up" - Feb 11, 2009

http://p2pfoundation.ning.com/forum/topics/bitcoin-open-source  (in comments)

xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:14:48 PM

That's interesting! I know nothing about coding, so tell me: Why is the system still so secure apparently, although he is bad at coding (wouldn't that mean many people are able to crack to code) - how can he get away with bad coding? And what makes code bad? 

I've only looked at the original release briefly, but to me:

It looks rushed; a proof of concept and a prototype. So it's more untidy, messy, code than necessarily *bad* code. Imagine the rough scribblings of a genius mathematician. It may not look pretty but it can still be technically sound.

I would imagine if a group had made it there would have been much more effort in maintaining a clean code base so others can work on it easier. Though, it's still possible that multiple people worked on the design but only one single person did the coding.

I personally would never write "good" code for some far out experimental project either. I'd hack together something quick and messy just to test if it works, then clean it up later.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
Dr Bloggood

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:12:04 PM

It looks rushed; a proof of concept and a prototype. So it's more untidy, messy, code than necessarily *bad* code. Imagine the rough scribblings of a genius mathematician. It may not look pretty but it can still be technically sound.

I would imagine if a group had made it there would have been much more effort in maintaining a clean code base so others can work on it easier. Though, it's still possible that multiple people worked on the design but only one single person did the coding.

I personally would never write "good" code for some far out experimental project either. I'd hack together something quick and messy just to test if it works, then clean it up later.

So then the question is why didn't he clean it up at some point at least?

What you are saying for me speaks more for one single person alone, because if he would have been working in a group, there would be not so much reason to rush.

Another issue is that the more people are involved, the more difficult it becomes to keep totally quiet, in the long run. Maybe some ex-girlfriend of Satoshi will tell the press some day.. Smiley

How much time do you think he would have needed to clean it up and what would have been the advantages of cleaning up (besides it just looking better to the few people who know about coding)?
Doublelucky

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:30:34 PM

It has the potential for a positive feedback loop; as users increase, the value goes up" - Feb 11, 2009

Can somebody elaborate on what is meant by a positive feedback loop as it relates to Bitcoin?
Or does it literally just mean "as users increase, the value goes up"?
descarte

Activity: 195

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:38:23 PM

another reason why its not a group is that no one in the group came forward to say anything after he disappeared. Secondly, he would have consistently use "We" instead of I. I think the use of "We" refers to his github contributors.
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:40:26 PM

It has the potential for a positive feedback loop; as users increase, the value goes up" - Feb 11, 2009

Can somebody elaborate on what is meant by a positive feedback loop as it relates to Bitcoin?
Or does it literally just mean "as users increase, the value goes up"?

The more people that there are involved in some way with Bitcoin, the more valuable the system becomes, which gives greater incentive to encourage growth.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:59:37 PM

Thanks for this.  I love this one:

Sorry to be a wet blanket. Writing a description for (bitcoin) for general audiences is bloody hard. There’s nothing to relate it to.

So true....
TreasureSeeker

Activity: 455
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 02:12:45 AM

I found this interesting...
I actually did this kind of backwards.  I had to
write all the code before I could convince myself that I could solve every
problem, then I wrote the paper.  I think I will be able to release the code
sooner than I could write a detailed spec.

Fun & Friendly p2pool Mining at TreasureQuarry.  Litecoin http://litecoin.treasurequarry.com:9327 Dash p2pool  http://dash.treasurequarry.com:7903
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:02:44 AM

So then the question is why didn't he clean it up at some point at least?

What you are saying for me speaks more for one single person alone, because if he would have been working in a group, there would be not so much reason to rush.

Another issue is that the more people are involved, the more difficult it becomes to keep totally quiet, in the long run. Maybe some ex-girlfriend of Satoshi will tell the press some day.. Smiley

How much time do you think he would have needed to clean it up and what would have been the advantages of cleaning up (besides it just looking better to the few people who know about coding)?

He let others clean it up afterwards Smiley

Or perhaps he's a maths and economics genius but not great at programming. It happens .....
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:39:43 AM

Thanks for sharing Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: