Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:53:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BEWARE] The user "Bono" is a scammer. Do NOT trust!  (Read 5234 times)
chairforce1 (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 07:22:24 AM

What happened::

I saw Bono's thread about trading 32 LTC for 1 BTC. He was advertising prices slightly higher than BTC-e so it grabbed my interested. He had 1 positive feedback but it was such a new account I was skeptical at first. I looked through his posts to judge what type of user he/she was and see if I can spot any sign of an underlying motive for making posts under this user name (like making people think this person has been contributing to the forums and is not going for the long con). For the most part the posts seemed reasonable and, what some may think, substantive to the thread topic. He/She had also performed one previous trade of 30 LTC for 1 BTC and had one positive feedback from a reputable user (Tomatocage); therefore my guard was slightly lowered. My motive for this trade was sparked by the chance of arbitrage but mainly driven by an opportunity to increase my trust, which I see as something that could prove useful in the future. I had a "YOLO" moment and went for the deal, I see now that it proved detrimental. I'll be sure as shit have my guard up from now on, but please do not make the same mistake.

Scammers Profile Link:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=202128

Reference Link:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=398727.msg4308951#msg4308951

Amount Scammed: 32 LTC - Advertised as having a cumulative value of 1 BTC at time of scam.

Payment Method: Litecoins

Proof of payment sent:
(The "Transaction Details" window is the focal point of this picture in case you can't find it with the vast Havelock window in the background.)

Proof of no payment received:
You can see below that I have not received the 1 BTC yet as there has been no deposit activity after the 3rd of January while Bono's thread was not even created until the 4th of January. You can also see in the screen shots of our private message exchange, I wanted him/her to send the 1 BTC to my Havelock account; luckily there is a log of all my account activity in Havelock that I can't modify.

PM/Chat Logs:

These are PM's I received. (Save for the very first messages which I can provide as well if wanted)

These are PM's I sent. (Save for the very first messages which I can provide as well if wanted)

Additional Notes: I advise you do not deal with this user.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. #yolo

-Epicuru$
chairforce1 (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 07:39:02 AM

I'll also leave this here in case he/she tries to edit it:

That's horseshit and you know it.

I sent you the BTC yesterday evening and have sent you the blockchain record 3 times now in reply to your profanity-filled PMs. Stop messaging me with threats and lies or you are simply going on my ignore list. I don't have the want or need to scam people for a low amount of some altcoin.

It kind of pisses me off that someone could be dense enough to disregard all the messages I sent because they're too busy throwing an unjustified tantrum. Makes me wonder if you're a troll or what?

I signed up for this forum (mostly) to trade and build up a reputation with the community. No way am I going to throw that away after such a short time here and for some chump change. It's a shame losers like you tend to ruin it for the honest ones.

This is quoted from the "WTB" thread Bono made. I was as patient and hopeful as I could be, but when I read this I knew it was all over.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. #yolo

-Epicuru$
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:13:17 AM

that sucks Sad
but atleast the positive is this will stop you from making a similar mistake with even more $$ in the future.

hopefully he decides to do the right thing.

Forums should pay someone to sit and scammer tag ppl. Ratings are stupid and give false sense of security. I'm sure a mod would do it for next to nothing and we all know the forum is loaded with $$ anyways...

Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:41:31 PM

Damn, I was afraid something like this would happen. I tried to make it as clear as possible that he sent first. Any other type of deal should be approached with skepticism and caution.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:59:07 PM

I sent him a PM asking him to provide the TxID of his alleged payment to you. We'll see if he delivers, out if he just abandons his account now.

GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
chairforce1 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 12:21:22 AM

Thanks Tomatocage

-Epicuru$
Bono

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:45:04 AM

Oi vey.

You're really going all out aren't you?

There are a few things are wrong with your post:

1) The first and most obvious omission is a screenshot of the message where you gave me your Bitcoin address. No matter what record of our transaction I post, you will be able to cry foul, claim the receiving address isn't yours, and say I'm just posting any random 1 BTC trade from the time period we were talking about.

I myself don't save personal messages for more than a day, so I'm kinda out of luck on that one.

2) I made it clear in my messages (as I do with every potential trade partner) that I use Coinbase, and their fucked up system can create multiple addresses for each transaction. All in all, the 1.0 BTC I sent you was siphoned through about 16 addresses to get to you, adding an element of intricacy that makes my claim hard to prove especially given point #1.

3) You mentioned that you looked through all my recent posts to judge my character. And what did you find? Nothing that would indicate I have or had any kind of bad intention. Why would I blow my reputation for a small pile of altcoins and risk ostracizing myself from a community I've newly grown to enjoy?

I will say that my cable did go out at the absolute most inopportune time. That was kind of embarrassing and I really did rush to pay you once it was up, but it did take a few hours.

You know what I think? I think maybe you got mad at me for forcing you to wait, and enacted this childish vendetta against me as an attempt to extort another Bitcoin out of me.

Well I ain't budging.

As for you, Mr. Tomato:

I really do respect the way you do business, and you even PM'd me (with manners no less!) asking me to state my case here. I'd like to think I offer a positive influence to this community as a legitimate trader - and I'm rather shocked nobody called out this chairforce guy for omitting some needed information from this post. Given the odd nature of the deal, would you mind removing your negative feedback? I mean, if the troll wants to post some of his own, that's fine, but to have vets bagging on me for unproven and fallacious allegations would really suck.

Hopefully the next guy I deal with won't throw a temper tantrum.

Lucky Cris

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:59:46 AM

An attitude like this certainly doesn't help your case. Why don't post the transaction to prove your innocence?

Oi vey.

You're really going all out aren't you?

There are a few things are wrong with your post:

1) The first and most obvious omission is a screenshot of the message where you gave me your Bitcoin address. No matter what record of our transaction I post, you will be able to cry foul, claim the receiving address isn't yours, and say I'm just posting any random 1 BTC trade from the time period we were talking about.

I myself don't save personal messages for more than a day, so I'm kinda out of luck on that one.

2) I made it clear in my messages (as I do with every potential trade partner) that I use Coinbase, and their fucked up system can create multiple addresses for each transaction. All in all, the 1.0 BTC I sent you was siphoned through about 16 addresses to get to you, adding an element of intricacy that makes my claim hard to prove especially given point #1.

3) You mentioned that you looked through all my recent posts to judge my character. And what did you find? Nothing that would indicate I have or had any kind of bad intention. Why would I blow my reputation for a small pile of altcoins and risk ostracizing myself from a community I've newly grown to enjoy?

I will say that my cable did go out at the absolute most inopportune time. That was kind of embarrassing and I really did rush to pay you once it was up, but it did take a few hours.

You know what I think? I think maybe you got mad at me for forcing you to wait, and enacted this childish vendetta against me as an attempt to extort another Bitcoin out of me.

Well I ain't budging.

As for you, Mr. Tomato:

I really do respect the way you do business, and you even PM'd me (with manners no less!) asking me to state my case here. I'd like to think I offer a positive influence to this community as a legitimate trader - and I'm rather shocked nobody called out this chairforce guy for omitting some needed information from this post. Given the odd nature of the deal, would you mind removing your negative feedback? I mean, if the troll wants to post some of his own, that's fine, but to have vets bagging on me for unproven and fallacious allegations would really suck.

Hopefully the next guy I deal with won't throw a temper tantrum.

Bono

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:11:21 AM

Why don't you post the transaction to prove your innocence?

If I try to defend myself it will be called BS by the troll who posted the thread, and frankly I don't have any interest in digging up blockchain info for 17 different Coinbase wallet addresses for no reason.

You see, chairforce1 has created a unique situation by omitting his Bitcoin address in the original post. Either of us could post the record of the transaction and the other could call it a lie.

It's just my word vs his at this juncture. I tried stating my point and I'd like to think I look like a straight shooter.

But that was all in my original post... so... maybe this one will be easier for you to read?

*shrug*

P.S.

I am more annoyed than anything. I am the victim of an internet troll trying to extort Bitcoins offa me. Apologies if I sound snappy.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:20:45 AM

If I try to defend myself it will be called BS by the troll who posted the thread, and frankly I don't have any interest in digging up blockchain info for 17 different Coinbase wallet addresses for no reason.

I used to use Coinbase; you don't have to dig up the blockchain info for the many different addresses the btc was sent from - just post the one where it was sent to. That's all you have to do. It's right there in your sent transactions; regardless of how many addresses you say it was sent from.

No need to apologize to me for being snappy. I'm simply pointing out the fact that it appears as if you're trying to be deceptive is all.

Bono

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:30:49 AM

Right, and do you know chairforce1's receiving address for that transaction? No, you don't.

Does anyone but me know? Just chairforce1. If I post a screencap, he'll call it a fake. If I post a blockchain link, the answer will be "Nope, not my address, liar." I already stated I don't save my messages so it's not like I'll have a record of him stating what it is. He doesn't have to worry about me blowing his story out of the water.

He has so artfully synthesized this lie that I'm basically burned no matter what I do - all his bitching seems so sincere, doesn't it? His anger, so real. His frustration, so lucid.

But he's a troll and nothing more. Lying by omission is still lying.

So, at the risk of having this turn into he-said she-said, I'm just going to ignore the fucker and ask that Mr. Tomato remove his negative review because nobody can say for sure what happened except me and the troll who started it. My actions and attitude speak for themselves. I bring a positive influence to the forum. If chairforce1 wants to post his own negative review and get his jollies off, that's fine.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or just read through my other overly-wordy posts ITT. You'll likely find an explanation.

Have a pleasant evening.

Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:42:18 AM

I bring a positive influence to the forum.

Well set a good example and post the transaction ID! I can almost bet your negative rating wouldn't be removed without it. To everyone's who reading this thread, you're the one who looks suspect, not chairforce1, even if he's the perpetrator. You're not even trying to prove your case! Why are you even responding to this thread? No one will believe you unless you at least post the transaction ID showing that 1BTC left your possession (even if it's from 17 different addresses) to another address. You have the address you sent it to in your activity list.... just post that.

If you continue to refuse, just accept the fact you'll be looked at as a scammer from now on.

Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:15:24 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 06:59:54 AM by Tomatocage

No need to dig up 17 different Coinbase wallet addresses. Just the one destination https://blockchain.info/address/1NegZCyDo1WkFb5cuhVaXzNbTtQ2HRyPzw

I don't claim to know nothin about nothin, but I don't see any 1.00 BTC transactions to that address on the date you claimed to have paid him. In fact I don't see any activity on that address on the date you said to have paid him. Can you explain this? It's not your word against his at this point -- it's your word against the block chain.

You see, chairforce1 has created a unique situation by omitting his Bitcoin address in the original post. Either of us could post the record of the transaction and the other could call it a lie.

You mean this one?

Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:19:13 AM

Bono, I guess this is the part where you log off and never log onto that account again.

Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:46:01 AM

Bono has provided some proof that he did send 1.00 BTC from his Coinbase account on the date/time he claims to have paid chairforce1. However, the address differs from the screenshot that chairforce1 posted in the OP.  I have sent a PM to Theymos to see if we can get more data on this. In the meantime I have removed my negative rating for Bono.

Bono

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:53:03 AM

Bono has provided some proof that he did send 1.00 BTC from his Coinbase account on the date/time he claims to have paid chairforce1. However, the address differs from the screenshot that chairforce1 posted in the OP.  I have sent a PM to Theymos to see if we can get more data on this. In the meantime I have removed my negative rating for Bono.

No fricking kidding.

Don't you find it AMAZING that he would post a screenshot of his transaction history plus THE ENTIRE HOMEPAGE of his portfolio website (and all that other oddly specific shit) without ever so much as stating his "real" receiving address until it was pointed out like a day later?

I'm calling photoshop on the "message" he added btw.

You guys are making it hard to be nice. Do you all just assume guilty until proven innocent? Or are you all so desensitized that you didn't think about what your words would look like when it came out that I was actually innocent.

Either way I hope you all feel like asses.

It's so easy to fake a scam report like this one. Jesus Tapdancing Christ. If I had posted this thread before chairforce1, I bet you'd have all jumped on the bandwagon against him.

Stop making it difficult for me to be nice to you.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 07:11:32 AM

Ta-dah! That's all you had to do! You made this situation escalate to this point because you didn't think it was necessary to provide proof. Now that you have, the tables are turned. Wasn't that much easier than having to explain yourself over and over?

No, I don't feel like an ass. But you've acted like one throughout this ordeal.

chairforce1 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 10:32:08 AM

I don't have time to read through everything but when I get home from work in 12 hours I will. Here is proof that my Havelock account has the address.

And I still don't have a deposit.

I'm glad to see you're back Bono. Not sure why you just never responded to my PM's. I'll be on in 12-13 hours. Good day.

-Epicuru$
Bono

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:36:03 PM

Ta-dah! That's all you had to do! You made this situation escalate to this point because you didn't think it was necessary to provide proof. Now that you have, the tables are turned. Wasn't that much easier than having to explain yourself over and over?

No, I don't feel like an ass. But you've acted like one throughout this ordeal.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/31/3149dcc48f74dd5d6a142e19f5cd9c1a7215699a0bc8994cb6fb69af5a9eac1f.jpg
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:18:28 PM

For what it's worth, I once sent Bono over $5,000 worth of BTC during a trade... I didn't get scammed  Huh

Not sure why he would start now as opposed to then

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: