Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 01:28:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Vs. Paypal - and PayPal is getting sued.  (Read 28609 times)
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:28:53 PM

1) have you a professionnal account at paypal (need when you "echange" more than xxxx USD per month).
2) have you a VAT number ?
3) have you a real account bank linked (and certified) to the paypal account ?

if you don't have this ... well ... the restrictions (froozen funds) on paypal is the legitimates rules for "personal account".
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 03:29:13 PM

Something seems...fishy about this whole story. I've never heard of Paypal having anything against bitcoins, especially the actual hardware used because it's just computer hardware.

There must be something else in that mess of a wall you're not telling people.

I agree something is fishy with this story. It's not just paypal that does this, all merchant accounts have high risk departments that hold customers money for a certain amount of time. Paypal is just one of the worst because so many of their customers are joe smo's who have no merchant processing backgrounds and deal in high risk/high chargeback businesses (like selling used equipment, and in a notoriously chargeback friendly btc field)

Best of luck to the OP suing paypal though, seriously. Good to see someone really fighting. Hope that works out well for you. IMHO, I don't think this will go anywhere, at all.

It makes sense to me that Paypal is at odds with Bitcoin, therefore have decided to use these tactics. It's believable, to me.

Why does that make sense? Paypal has nothing to gain from being against bitcoins. Paypal is not a form of currency. Bitcoins in no way threatens their profits and business model, and bitcoins is not competing against them in any way.

My guess is OP did something else to piss them off and they had no choice. I mean, if you are doing a million dollars worth of sales like you said, then all they stand to do is benefit from your service. So you most likely did something wrong you aren't telling us.

It makes sense because Paypal's business is based on processing transactions. Once more people start using Bitcoin for their transactions, Paypall will do less business. Less business means less profit. Do you see the connection?
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:35:53 PM

First of all, PAYPAL will never lose its CC processing, NEVER EVER EVER!

Second, I'm no lawyer but it seems to me that yes, they have shity customer service and shitty policies  but you still got your money in a timely manner.

I fucking hate paypal but I dont see any case here.

msc

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:41:50 PM

Antitrust?  They'll let you sell Dell computers, but not BFL computers.

Once more people start using Bitcoin for their transactions, Paypall will do less business. Less business means less profit.
Yes, but nothing Paypal does is going to have a negative impact on Bitcoin adoption.  They have two choices: entice customers to do business with them, or drive them away. 
2tights

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 03:44:24 PM

Antitrust?  They'll let you sell Dell computers, but not BFL computers.

Once more people start using Bitcoin for their transactions, Paypall will do less business. Less business means less profit.
Yes, but nothing Paypal does is going to have a negative impact on Bitcoin adoption.  They have two choices: entice customers to do business with them, or drive them away.  

I didn't think we were talking about how Paypal could sabotage Bitcoin. I thought we were talking about their unethical business dealings with the OP.  I don't think anyone believes Paypal has the influence to cause much of a stir.
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:45:41 PM

Something seems...fishy about this whole story. I've never heard of Paypal having anything against bitcoins, especially the actual hardware used because it's just computer hardware.

I agree something is fishy with this story. It's not just paypal that does this, all merchant accounts have high risk departments that hold customers money for a certain amount of time. Paypal is just one of the worst because so many of their customers are joe smo's who have no merchant processing backgrounds and deal in high risk/high chargeback businesses (like selling used equipment, and in a notoriously chargeback friendly btc field)

Best of luck to the OP suing paypal though, seriously. Good to see someone really fighting. Hope that works out well for you. IMHO, I don't think this will go anywhere, at all.

It makes sense to me that Paypal is at odds with Bitcoin, therefore have decided to use these tactics. It's believable, to me.

Why does that make sense? Paypal has nothing to gain from being against bitcoins. Paypal is not a form of currency. Bitcoins in no way threatens their profits and business model, and bitcoins is not competing against them in any way.

My guess is OP did something else to piss them off and they had no choice. I mean, if you are doing a million dollars worth of sales like you said, then all they stand to do is benefit from your service. So you most likely did something wrong you aren't telling us.

It makes sense because Paypal's business is based on processing transactions. Once more people start using Bitcoin for their transactions, Paypall will do less business. Less business means less profit. Do you see the connection?

No I don't. Paypals business is based on secure, safe transactions.  

Despite what everyone here will tell you, paypal isn't doing this because of profits. They're doing it to help combat fraud, which to me sounds 100% understandable. It says right in their policy you can't sell bitcoin miners or bitcoins, yet OP did anyways which is why they froze and put holds on his accounts.

Raghnar

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:48:34 PM

I'm not sure if I believe this story because you say your attorney was incredulous that you recorded a phone call. In most states, it is totally legal to record a call, as long as at least one party (you in this case) is aware it is being recorded.

If your attorney doesn't know that, he is a horribly attorney or else this story just isn't true.
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:53:51 PM

I'm not sure if I believe this story because you say your attorney was incredulous that you recorded a phone call. In most states, it is totally legal to record a call, as long as at least one party (you in this case) is aware it is being recorded.

If your attorney doesn't know that, he is a horribly attorney or else this story just isn't true.

I am not an attorney but have some law background.  This is not the case.  It depends where he lives. 

"Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington."
NorbyTheGeek

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:58:08 PM

Does anyone know the BB code for making a paragraph? I have tried 3 times now to fix the post but when i save it it still comes out the same and the HTML p code wont work as i expected. Sorry again for the run on. Me and SMF are not getting along this morning.

Press Enter twice to leave a blank line.

Like this.

I wish you luck with the PayPal suit.  I've always thought they had too big of a head and needed taken down a peg.

Cryptsy:  All new look - USD Trading coming soon!
Learn why Bitcoin is NOT a bubble... | Are you an "expert" bitcoin trader?
BTC: 1NorbyPiNPEFBXJ7GVKsMCkfAW4p8j5cTs | 42: 4KjFuqfESkdXWDHMK8rnaxc84NqMpxu9t8
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:59:06 PM

You can record what ever you want.  You just won't be able to use it in a court of law in some jurisdictions, thus the suggestion to record all calls and create transcripts of the calls in those states where two party consent is required.
g35fan

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:13:21 PM

I think the OP said he got the paypal rep to admit on a recorded phone call it was because of bitcoin. I just don't think a lawsuit will be won because of some low level rep saying something like this, and some of other parts of the story seem like there's some holes in it. What I really meant before was that Paypal holds large sums of money from people for a variety of reasons all the time - and they've been doing this long before bitcoin even existed. It's built into their TOS.

IMHO anything "bitcoin" related is high risk to paypal right now, the OP sold a lot of equipment and then when on the phone, talked about bitcoin. It raised even more red flags I'm sure. A lot of people got ripped off selling coins through paypal, and paypal is just protecting it's interests and it's customers by holding money for a certain amount of time to ensure lower risk/chargebacks.  Trust me I'm not pro-paypal, just experienced in the hassles of selling in a high risk industry. It's the standard which many of you know.
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:22:47 PM

paragraphs would be nice. If this is true, All the best seeking justice.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 04:34:32 PM

Brilliant, well done. The best of luck with the rest of this endeavour.

oh and a +1 on the paragraphs!

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:40:45 PM

I think the OP said he got the paypal rep to admit on a recorded phone call it was because of bitcoin. I just don't think a lawsuit will be won because of some low level rep saying something like this, and some of other parts of the story seem like there's some holes in it. What I really meant before was that Paypal holds large sums of money from people for a variety of reasons all the time - and they've been doing this long before bitcoin even existed. It's built into their TOS.

IMHO anything "bitcoin" related is high risk to paypal right now, the OP sold a lot of equipment and then when on the phone, talked about bitcoin. It raised even more red flags I'm sure. A lot of people got ripped off selling coins through paypal, and paypal is just protecting it's interests and it's customers by holding money for a certain amount of time to ensure lower risk/chargebacks.  Trust me I'm not pro-paypal, just experienced in the hassles of selling in a high risk industry. It's the standard which many of you know.

Ah ok I misunderstood you then. And you're right. I think OP raised too many red flags with Paypal and they had no choice, and I believe Paypal and eBay took a strong stance against bitcoins because too many people were getting scammed and defrauded over a very short period of time. So they took a stand and prohibited the sale of mining equipment and such to help protect the consumers.

And as far as holding large sums of money. As I understand it, the reason is to ensure that their service is not being used for criminal activity, such as scamming consumers or money-laundering and whatever. It may seem silly and annoying to sellers but my guess is there is a good reason as to why they have this policy. So you are right g35fan

Valle

Activity: 177
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:51:02 PM

Thanks for the story!

But how accepting credit cards by paypal have relation to freezing account because of no good reasons?
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:52:37 PM

Good luck OP

That is just fucked up how the manager said "you are selling bitcoin, and they are our direct competition so we don't condone this"... wow, fuck em.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:03:17 PM

Go for it, just expect them to close your account give you a pittance and a NDA and forbid you from ever doing business with them again.

/sued paypal many years ago and won.
poblico

Activity: 75

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:06:53 PM

Despite what everyone here will tell you, paypal isn't doing this because of profits. They're doing it to help combat fraud, which to me sounds 100% understandable. It says right in their policy you can't sell bitcoin miners or bitcoins, yet OP did anyways which is why they froze and put holds on his accounts.

Combat fraud?
I guess you missed the "HIT GOLD" section, and besides he is selling computers (miners) not bitcoins.
2tights

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 05:11:54 PM

Combat fraud?
I guess you missed the "HIT GOLD" section, and besides he is selling computers (miners) not bitcoins.

Is it true that their terms of service forbids selling Bitcoin mining hardware?

Even if it were true, ASIC for sha256 don't have to be used for Bitcoin..

Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:14:56 PM

Before i go into too much detail, You read the title right. after 2 weeks, petitioning the SEC, FTC, IC3, NW3C, DOJ, and a hand full of state senators and other congress people for support.

I finally got a judge to allow me to file a lawsuit against PayPal, and after complying with the judges request that we send a letter of intent to sue them this week and giving them 2 weeks to reply or resolve the issues. We will be allowed to file a 4 MILLION dollar lawsuit against paypal, and the better news, although we cannot go class action, you still may be able to get in on the action too.

Now a little bit of the back story:

My wife and i both have been long time paypal users, in fact we have done close to 1 million dollars in sales through paypal in the past year alone. I cannot even begin to calculate how much in total over the 7-8 years we have used paypal. We have sold on ebay, sold on craigslist, sold on pretty much everywhere, and sold pretty much anything electronic for years. Never had a problem at all, and thats where bitcoin come in.

I started mining bitcoin a LONG time ago, near the beginning, and have rolled many a coin. In October when Bitcoin was at an all time high, i start doing some numbers, and seeing all these companies selling hardware for bitcoin, figured, well what the hell. i got a ton of it, and if i never use it its really worth nothing at all, so i order hundreds of USB miners, hundreds of blades, hundreds of anything i could confirm legit and take to ebay to join the club of "your and idiot and your going to pay me $695 for a V2 blade" sellers. its almost criminal how many i sold. I sold USB miners, the ever famous 200 GH/s avalon clone miners from china, you name it, i sold it if it was hardware. Never a complaint that resulted in a charge back, in fact the few complaints i got from buyers were pretty legit and dead hardware related, not only did they get their money back, but got a new miner as well. its good for business, and good for bitcoin.

In early december, now selling mainly only bitcoin hardware, out of nowhere i get a limitation on my paypal account. they want documents uploaded, photo ID, proof of address, invoices, what have you. most of it all stuff i had submitted already in the past. at the time they had held hostage, $33,600 3 days of going the rounds with paypal and the limit is raised.

My wife and i promptly transfer the funds out of the bank. Having a bad gut feeling, i contacted my legal team since i have had them on retainer for years and never used them much, and they tell me to just start keeping a record of everything, every phone call, every e-mail, the name of everyone i spoke with, every voicemail paypal left, pretty much everything. so i did, good thing too, the day after, surprise, they put a limit on our account again. right after 8 auctions closed and we had $71,000 and change in the account. same crap, we need ID, blah blah, so i call them, documenting everything, telling them that we already did this just a few days prior.

They get rude, start stumbling around when i keep drilling them as to why again when we already did, the supervisor puts me on hold for about 20 minutes, then comes back on the line and says " There has been a recent increase in activity from your account blah blah we need to wait for delivery conformation" now mind you, our account activity has greatly decreased as we have focused strictly on ebay, and only on bitcoin items. None the less, i document everything, 2 days later delivery confirmation is sent from the USPS tracking numbers.

The funds are released from Ebay, but still limits on the paypal account. So i grab the pen and paper to start taking notes, and call paypal. after going from customer service rep, to supervisor, to specialist, to team lead, then finally to manager over the course of 1 hour 30 minutes with nobody giving me any real information. I HIT GOLD, the manager states, your selling bitcoin. i politely reply, "no sir, i am not, that is against paypals rules, i am selling specialized hardware which is like a computer but designed for one purpose, and that is hashing on a SHA-256 encrypted network", He replies back, well its all the same and bitcoin is direct competition with paypals business model therefore we do not condone, anything bitcoin related. and wouldnt ya know it, smartphones have cool little apps that record phone calls, which i always do so i can take notes later on after the call for the lawsuit i was planning to file.

The next morning i called my lawyer and told him about it. at first he says "you did what? recorded them without their permission?" i said no, they were the ones who told me the call could be recorded or monitored, and i just wanted to make sure it was recorded right. He says, hold on one second please, switches lines, and calls paypals customer service number then 3 ways the call. not even 20 seconds into the call when it is getting ready to switch to a representative, presto there is the call recording disclosure.

Instantly he begins to laugh, and says, well ok, record them all then and we can transcribe them. Needless to say it took a few days and a few dozen threatening phone calls, but we got the funds un frozen. I figured, well that was fun, but back to business. here comes the kicker, 7 hours later i have only 2 auctions close for a total of $8,300 in total.

i print the labels, stop at UPS in the morning and drop off the miners, and before i could even get home. whamo account limitations again. i think to myself. you have to be kidding me, a company cannot suck this bad and still be in business. So i look at what they want this time, and all it says is check e-mail for additional required documentation. so i check our e-mail, and there is nothing at all. so back to the phone. again from CS rep, to sup, to lead to manager over the course of about an hour this time. then put on hold for 43 minutes, and the guy only check in once saying its going to be a few more minutes.

Then a lady ( real bitch of a woman ) gets on the phone and says "my name is blah blah, from the paypal high risk assessment department, we need invoices from your suppliers before we can release the funds, i tell her, "listen lady, we sent an invoice to you already last week for 10 times more machines than we have sold so far dont play that game with me" she then puts me on hold, and says oh, well there was a charge back on your account which needs to be settled before we can lift the hold. mind you i am sitting in front of the computer looking at my screen, not only do we have thousands in the account, but we have NEVER in years of selling had a charge back, and surely not any showing on our account now. So i ask, ok, who, where, when? we have thousands in our account, so unless everyone did a charge back at once, there is no way we are negative, i am looking at my balance now !!!! She says ok we will look into it and give you a call tomorrow. although not satisfied, i was tired, so i hung up. funny thing, 5 minutes later i refresh the page and the account is not limited an more.

This brings us to last week, we made it an entire week and 4 whole smooth transactions through ebay/paypal, not a problem, i had actually thanked my lawyer that monday for his help, and said, hope i dont need you again any time soon. That afternoon we had a few more auctions close. and same scenario, i leave UPS drive the 5 blocks home and in that time, our account gets limited, only of course after i send the merchandise. This time no prevail. $54,600usd frozen as of 12/30, dozens of calls, dozens of BS reasons why they did it, and no resolution option, it says check email for required documentation. By wednesday afternoon my legal team says O.K. this is where we step in, a company cannot hold peoples money hostage because they dont like bitcoin.

And the battle begins, their paralegals transcribe every phone call, copy every e-mail print every screen shot, copy hundreds of complaints from srew-paypal.com and paypal sucks.com. The start blasting it everywhere, writing senators, congress people, filing complaints with the DOJ, the FTC, the IC3, the NW3C everybody pretty much, at the same time the file a petition with the court for a ruling on letting us Sue them in court. The next day the court throws it out.

Then friday comes, and my lawyer calls and says " you have 20 minutes, we need to be at the courthouse" i didnt know what to think, they really didnt either. we get there and this sweet little old lady takes us to a room behind the courtroom and the judge was there. he pulls out a folder from his desk drawer about 3 inches thick it is filled with sheets of paper, and little pick pieces of paper, he then turns his phone around and it is flashing the number 34 on it, as in 34 voice mails. He says "you sure know how to ruin a mans weekend, i dont know who you talked to, but i want to see all of you in my courtroom on monday morning and i will rule on your petition.

For a minute, i really thought i was going to be in some trouble. The lawyers said this is either going to be really bad, or really good, imagine how my weekend was spent this weekend. This morning we arrive 30 minutes early at the court house and the room had like 15 people in it. The judge comes in, sits down, and says " Send them a letter of intent to sue, request that they reply within 2 weeks, if they do not resolve the issue, or reply, i will see this case in my courtroom" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess whos going to sue paypal. Smiley letter of intent gets sent in the morning via US certified mail. Paypal starts to bully bitcoin AND BITCOIN BITES BACK

Now, how does this affect you? well in a lot of ways. 1: if we win, paypal could lose their right to accept credit cards, and face it, what is paypal without credit cards? 2: what is bitcoin without paypal? simple EVERYTHING  in terms of funds transfer and commerce. and finally....

3: have you been wronged by paypal yourself? do you have a well documented history of being held hostage by paypal? Well, we now have a pretty good process for you to get revenge, and i am going to start a website that tells you how to do it whether we win or lose in court. In the mean time remember these steps because documentation is everything.

1: take screen shots, make sure your clock is showing the date and time in the picture. anything they put on the resolution center page

2: always print EVERY email. get a folder, a real paper folder, print them and file them, sorted by date.

3: ALWAYS record every phone call, even if your state wont let you use it in court. it is not illegal to transcribe a call. so record it, then get a free software that does text to speech and let it transcribe the call for you. once done PRINT IT and save it. Record the time of the call and the date.

4: If you have to deal in fiat for the time being try and avoid paypal.

5: be sure and keep all your interactions filed neatly, sooner or later you are going to need to file a formal complaint with SEVERAL agencies, authorities, regulatory bodies, and eventually draft a letter of intent to sue.

And there you have it, Hopefully paypal gets everything they deserve in court. How dare they start commiting white collar crimes against people who are "associated with bitcoin"

Bitcoin vs. Paypal
[/b]

and bitcoin is going to win

Sorry I just had to split the huge wall into parts.

Your story sounded like what happened to me with PayPal. But I didn't sue. I wished I did now.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: