Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:07:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EUROPEAN BITCOIN CONFERENCE 2011, PRAGUE NOV 25-27  (Read 94448 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 02:44:39 AM

Here are a few pics i had on my camera, mainly behind the scenes stuff, dont worry im not the official photographer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70833481@N05/?saved=1

Now that's a convention, from the looks of it after viewing your photos.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 07:41:19 AM

It was a great experience, thanks to the organisers and all the participants. It was also a nice experience to use Bitcoins in trade, I bought a beer with Bitcoins at the brmlab hackspace. I also sold all Casascius coins that I had with me (only kept the last one for myself), there was so much demand I ran out of them in a couple of minutes. Maybe I should have sold them at a higher price :-).

The payment didn't work out for me the first night at the cocktail party due to issues with wifi. Maybe next time there's a conference like this, someone can bring a portable 3g/wifi router, or maybe the devs can develop a mobile payment app that does not require the payer to have an internet connection (rather his mobile just creates the transaction and transmits it back to the payee, who then injects it into the network instead).

Overall it was very interesting and will help me in my research.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 08:24:25 AM

Just adding my voice to all those saying that the conference was a great experience.

The talks were good, and meeting so many other bitcoin enthusiasts was also great. I hope I can keep in touch with most of them.

Prague is also a nice city, even when we add the frozen weather to the equation. Impressive how it has good infrastructure and at the same time prices are so low. A hotel of the same quality of that Panorama one would likely cost three times more here in France. And what can I say about those cheap beers and the deliciously cheap pork meat! Cheesy You made a good choice of venue, for sure!

My sincere congratulations to everyone behind the organization of this great event!
bitclown

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 08:28:51 AM

There hasn't been much hype for Bitcoin lately. Are there any interesting developments to be announced at this conference?
Yes.
What were the announcements?
Eveofwar

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 08:30:42 AM

There hasn't been much hype for Bitcoin lately. Are there any interesting developments to be announced at this conference?
Yes.

They are to be announced.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 09:05:34 AM

Here are a few pics i had on my camera, mainly behind the scenes stuff, dont worry im not the official photographer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70833481@N05/?saved=1

What a contrast with the NY conference pictures!!!
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 10:10:58 AM
Last edit: November 28, 2011, 10:35:11 AM by genjix

Sorry but in the chaos, I forgot to make the announcement. It was that we found a bug in the AGPL due to a specific behaviour of bitcoin, and that the SFLC/FSF will be drafting a new version of the AGPL which will include a p2p clause. It's based on the fact that derivative works need to be proactive in providing the source code (you can't provide it on request). Also there was the talk of making a lesser AGPL too.

Something small + nice that's happening for bitcoin. But in the confusion I forgot to say it.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 10:33:42 AM
Last edit: November 28, 2011, 01:42:53 PM by jim618

We announced a pre-alpha of MultiBit Merchant. Open source software for merchants to set up a store and accept bitcoin payments. It has an HTML5 web socket back from the server to the client to push transaction / blockchain notifications.

The slides and a backup screencast are in this thread on the other eurobit thread here - and on the Alternative Clients MultiBit thread. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43616.msg632096#msg632096)

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 12:53:42 PM

There was also the announcement of that dedicated device development, by Clemens Cap.
yossarian

Activity: 492

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 01:08:11 PM

Max Keiser announced to add Bitcoin as a payment option for his project http://piratemyfilm.com. He also wants to push Bitcoin into broader adoption (1 million users) in 2012.

I'm always buying and selling BTC, PM me for details. Rating and GPG-key: http://is.gd/yossarian

Buy and sell BTC via SEPA: https://www.bitcoin.de/r/nrnxg6

Bitmessage: BM-2DAoXPtLdQEnR2iSneCTjpgRPtzXsSAi1m
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 02:31:31 PM

Thank you for organizing the conference, it was amazing experience for me. I met a lot of people from this forum and also a people who helped me to build or improve the pool.

I also appreciated speakers who express some criticism and talked about problems. Sometimes it's absolutely necessary to leave our Bitcoin cave and look around for different opinion of people and find some new inspiration.

During those three days I made around 10 of real-world bitcoin payments. I found it very easy and convenient. Bitcoin payments are much faster than credit cards and even than cash. I went to the local market after the conference and found that I forgot to withdraw cash, because I paid almost everything with bitcoins in last days. I hope they'll accept Bitcoins soon so I don't need to find ATM :-).

I'm also pretty happy for that experience with wifi in Hard Rock Cafe. Obviously not all wifi routers are capable to download blockchain for 50 people at the same time ;-). It was definitely mistake of Cafe staff, because we asked them for fixing wifi a day ago, but we can think about some alternative solutions for situations like this (support sending transactions over sms or over QR code, for example?).

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 02:40:56 PM

Thanks for the conference! It was a great experience and i hope to see a continuation next year!

What i especially liked:
  • Very good selection of speakers!
  • Nice hotel, good venue.
  • Prague very good reachable from many locations - especially from Vienna Smiley
  • Many opportunities to talk to other conference participants. At the hotel, at the Registration and afterwards!
  • The panel discussion lead by Max Keiser was great.

Some tips how you can further improve the professional experience:
  • Allow Questions to be posted to google moderator (http://www.google.com/moderator) during the talk, that the speaker can answer them afterwards. provide a display for him to see them.
  • More Time for the Talks. We started quite late in the morning (11:00) and had few pauses. There would have been enough material for an extra half day.
  • upload the talks to parleys afterwards. this is the best and most professional place to host presentations i know of. it may cost a bit to host there. but it is the only space i know of that provides slides + video in good sync.
  • Aamir Takir had a good talk, i liked it. He has some strengths, but moderation is not one of them. Sometimes it is better to let the speakers talk or take questions from the audience instead of stating opinions for extended amount of time. I would have liked a more neutral moderator with more practice.
  • Provide more alternative drinks (Club Mate!) and maybe even professional catering. i had problems paying full attention at the end of the day without caffeine and i don't drink coffee. plus there was not really time to buy it at the mall.
  • The wifi at hard rock cafe must be mentioned. If you had a mobile hotspot from a phone that would have solved some problems.

Of course some of those things cost money, but i would be happy to pay my share. if it cost 100€ instead of 75€ - this would still be a fair price.

Something that is not easy to fix: I was quite shocked that almost ONLY male, middle-aged white were attending. It makes me sad how society is excluding women from pursuing tech careers and interests.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 02:53:16 PM

genjix, worldly, others,

What is your take (and the legal implications for that matter) on me publishing my recordings (or parts of them) on youtube or otherwise? Can I do this? If so, what license should I choose (youtube or cc)?

EDIT: I know you're going to use my and your material and the good audio to produce good videos of the talks, which will take some time.

Maybe it makes sense to publish at least some outtakes of the raw material to satisfy the understandable desire of the community get an impression of what the conference was about and what it felt like. For me it had quite a revolutionary feel to it... everyone was so excited.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 02:59:31 PM

Something that is not easy to fix: I was quite shocked that almost ONLY male, middle-aged white were attending. It makes me sad how society is excluding women from pursuing tech careers and interests.

I'm tempted to answer this, but it would lead the thread off topic. This merits a seperate thread. If you make one, I'll happily let you know my opinions on this issue. ^^

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
worldly (OP)

Activity: 137

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 03:10:44 PM

genjix, worldly, others,

What is your take (and the legal implications for that matter) on me publishing my recordings (or parts of them) on youtube or otherwise? Can I do this? If so, what license should I choose (youtube or cc)?

EDIT: I know you're going to use my and your material and the good audio to produce good videos of the talks, which will take some time.

Maybe it makes sense to publish at least some outtakes of the raw material to satisfy the understandable desire of the community get an impression of what the conference was about and what it felt like. For me it had quite a revolutionary feel to it... everyone was so excited.

Hi molecular

Feel free to post some teasers/outtakes etc, would appreciate if you left any full talks to us.
I should be able to put some material up tomorrow too.

Thanks again for the extra video, im sure it will make a lot of difference.

I would choose the license that allows anyone to reuse the content.

Thanks for the conference! It was a great experience and i hope to see a continuation next year!

What i especially liked:
  • Very good selection of speakers!
  • Nice hotel, good venue.
  • Prague very good reachable from many locations - especially from Vienna Smiley
  • Many opportunities to talk to other conference participants. At the hotel, at the Registration and afterwards!
  • The panel discussion lead by Max Keiser was great.

Some tips how you can further improve the professional experience:
  • Allow Questions to be posted to google moderator (http://www.google.com/moderator) during the talk, that the speaker can answer them afterwards. provide a display for him to see them.
  • More Time for the Talks. We started quite late in the morning (11:00) and had few pauses. There would have been enough material for an extra half day.
  • upload the talks to parleys afterwards. this is the best and most professional place to host presentations i know of. it may cost a bit to host there. but it is the only space i know of that provides slides + video in good sync.
  • Aamir Takir had a good talk, i liked it. He has some strengths, but moderation is not one of them. Sometimes it is better to let the speakers talk or take questions from the audience instead of stating opinions for extended amount of time. I would have liked a more neutral moderator with more practice.
  • Provide more alternative drinks (Club Mate!) and maybe even professional catering. i had problems paying full attention at the end of the day without caffeine and i don't drink coffee. plus there was not really time to buy it at the mall.
  • The wifi at hard rock cafe must be mentioned. If you had a mobile hotspot from a phone that would have solved some problems.

Of course some of those things cost money, but i would be happy to pay my share. if it cost 100€ instead of 75€ - this would still be a fair price.

Thanks for the feedback, hopefully we can get a whole lot more by the time the next one comes around.  I wont reply to each point individually, ill take the suggestions on board.

Thanks for turning up.

European Bitcoin Conference Prague 2011
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 03:11:20 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2011, 11:53:15 AM by giszmo

The conference was super interesting! I enjoyed it a lot!

Here is my honest and direct summary. I hope for honest and direct answers Wink

Paying in BitCoin at Hardrock? Not really. Those 5 that I saw trying failed. Still I love BitPay as a service! Being in a location where I don't have internet for my smart phone is not the default use case. I'm only afraid we could not convince the Hardrock Cafe staff Wink

Sergey Kurtsev's talk about decentralizing exchange was ... not quite what I had in mind when reading the announcement. I thought it would be some way to like use some peer to peer ripple pay system to calculate exchange rates and trade partners ... but in the end that's what it sounded to me: "I did a trade platform and now I want to borrow liquidity from other exchanges. Hey, it's a win win for all of us!"

Stefan Thomas ... his emphasis on splitting secrets across two independent hosts with different security measures was inspiring. When I tried to talk to him about the basic idea he left a narrow minded impression to me as my interpretation of his response was something like "you can do it your way. my software does it this way." Kind of a downer but maybe it was a misunderstanding.

Amir Taaki's speak was ... ok but he did a soso job as a moderator until the last question round on Saturday where he really spoiled it. We got sooo far off topic and he enjoyed talking sooo much it really was a pain. At least for me. I only wanted to know where the party will be so I can head off and eat something. When he was finally done with it, he announced that there is no central party. He did not even mention the hacker space party.

In Jim Burton's talk I most liked Multibit Merchant. I like multibit in that it allows to conveniently handle multiple wallets but in my opinion he's too dogmatic withmuch focusing on these swatches. Wonder if multibit merchant also has some weird dogma inside. Else I will look into it if I ever plan to add some payment functionality to a product.

David Birch was a must have! Although he does not believe in Bitcoin like 90% of his audience I have no doubt that 90% enjoyed his refreshing style and insights.

Simon Dixon did speak well. Inspiring but somehow there were no buzz concepts I found worthy to note down. Edit: He was the guy who said that Open Source and free services cause unemployment? I don't remember the exact quote but as my mind set is rather along ideas like the venus project than this slavery-like full employment goal with people working for virtually nothing.

Jason Chia did not convince me at all. Ok, he's young so maybe speaking is not what he did much before but also content-wise it was wird. He's a lawyer. We all laughed at his disclaimer of not giving legal advise. He listed some of the most obvious points valid in Europe to conclude all is fine with bitcoin - until some court rules otherwise. Kind of knew that before didn't you? His proposed attack against the bitcoin of buying all the coins was so well known that people yawned and didn't even bother to protest. Long way to go I would say.

Detlev Schlichter's talk was definitely inspiring to me as he put the fiat money crisis into a broader historical, political and geographical context. Change happened before!

Peter Kleissner's talk was too much on the surface and had no real news to me but that might be different for others although I guess the security literacy in the audience was very high in general. I was fine with the Windows focus of his talk as that's the audience we are targetting so I did not like the "why not talk about Linux" bashing from ... not sure ... was it Amir again?

Cameron Garnham presented open transaction. A real life demo would have helped. Unfortunately the project is in a state where he could not even present a special case demo something. Ok, cool, a framework to sign that I assign one gram of gold to you. How do I get the gold into the system? How about doublespending? I did not get the concept, sorry.

Clemens Cap: I'm happy to see yet another university professor working with bitcoin both theoretically and on an actual device that holds private keys to be integrated in the payment process.

Rick Falkvinge was good as always. Lets see if his forecast holds true that crypto currency success will take till 2019. I somehow doubt it will take that long Wink His focus on the gate keepers was a good one. Keep that in mind! Fuck the gate keepers! (Disclaimer: I'm a pirate)

Max Keiser is a good speaker. Somehow he had little to contribute to the subject of bitcoin though. He's an important player in the bitcoin eco system trying to push bitcoin to 1 million users by end of next year but to me it was not insightful.

Overall thanx for the conference! It really felt special to be part of it Smiley

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 03:34:29 PM

giszmo: Great summary! :-)

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 03:35:15 PM

Yes.

Max Keiser announced his crowdfunding film productions project (http://piratemyfilm.com) will be accepting payment of shares in bitcoin and also pay dividends in bitcoin. He bashed paypal rightfully. Max is now officially a bitcoin supporter, he loves it for its "disruptive qualities".

Also: Stacey Herbert now actually has a bitcoin wallet Wink

Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 04:05:42 PM

I wonder, is Max also gonna report about this event during one of his keiser reports or on his website?

worldly (OP)

Activity: 137

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 05:43:02 PM

Here's a clip of the venue, Friday Night Cocktail party.  For a restaurant like this to accept bitcoin, even just for a few hours was great.  Next time we will get them to provide decent internet too Smiley.  This is after the party had finished, there were a few bitcoin people mingling around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbZs4WtzdLE

European Bitcoin Conference Prague 2011
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: