Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:09:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Attack the argument, not the man.  (Read 1266 times)
NghtRppr (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 04:25:34 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2011, 03:52:31 AM by bitcoin2cash

I've given out my fair share of insults, only to people that insulted me first, but that changes now. From this point on, anyone attacking me personally will be put on ignore until an apology is received along with a promise to stop that kind of behavior. Anyone that doesn't want to do that, isn't worth talking to anyways. We all have different opinions. That's fine. We can discuss it politely or we can insult each other. I won't be engaging people that choose the latter anymore. I see no big loss in not talking to you if you can't act politely. I'm sure you'll come up with all kinds of reasons why I just want to ignore your "genius" but you'll never know since you refuse to behave yourself.

Current Ignore List:

AyeYo
FirstAscent
jgraham
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xunker

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:41:39 PM

You don't like it when people attack you personally, huh?  This shit just got real...  Check it:

You kick puppies.
You eat babies.
You make babies and puppies fight for money.
You make Michael Vick fight babies and puppies for money.
YOU caused Hurricane Irene!
The upcoming horror of QE3 is YOUR fault.
The DC Earthquake?  Yeah, you, jerk.
It's your fault every time Arsenal loses to Man United.
..and vice versa.
It it wasn't for you, the Tacoma Narrows bridge would still be standing.
Justin Beiber.  We blame you for him.
..ditto Lady Gaga.
Naoto Kan resigned because of YOU.
Janet Reno used to be a supermodel until YOU got a hold of her.
The Statue of Liberty is green because of you.

And most importantly...

Every time I get an ice-cream headache, it's YOUR FAULT.

(I have no idea who you are, but I saw this post and had to reply.)
Fakeman

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:28:57 PM

You don't like it when people attack you personally, huh?  This shit just got real...  Check it:

You kick puppies.
You eat babies.
You make babies and puppies fight for money.
You make Michael Vick fight babies and puppies for money.
YOU caused Hurricane Irene!
The upcoming horror of QE3 is YOUR fault.
The DC Earthquake?  Yeah, you, jerk.
It's your fault every time Arsenal loses to Man United.
..and vice versa.
It it wasn't for you, the Tacoma Narrows bridge would still be standing.
Justin Beiber.  We blame you for him.
..ditto Lady Gaga.
Naoto Kan resigned because of YOU.
Janet Reno used to be a supermodel until YOU got a hold of her.
The Statue of Liberty is green because of you.

And most importantly...

Every time I get an ice-cream headache, it's YOUR FAULT.

(I have no idea who you are, but I saw this post and had to reply.)

Not to mention he was the sole reason that the board had to add an ignore feature.  Tongue

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
jgraham

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:21:25 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2011, 07:57:34 PM by jgraham

Now For The Democratic Response...

From this point on, anyone attacking me personally will be put on ignore until an apology is received along with a promise to stop that kind of behavior.
Except that "attacking me personally" seems to mean virtually any kind of criticism about bicoin2cash's character or even his/her approach.  As opposed to some kind of completely inappropriate invective.

Anyone that doesn't want to do that, isn't worth talking to anyways.
Yes my mom told me that too.  She lied.  Good things come in bad wrappers.  Some people who swear and insult you will have some absolutely excellent things to say.
Welcome to planet earth where naivete is not rewarded.

We all have different opinions. That's fine. We can discuss it politely or we can insult each other.

It's worth while highlighting some of the things said by bitcoin2cash in the thread that precipitated this little whinefest of his.

"little bitch" - misogynistic and insulting
"little douche" - also misogynistic and insulting - wasn't there a thread about "How do we get more women involved."?
"piece of shit troll"
"idiot"
"What will help penetrate that thick skull of yours"

You can see the whole thing here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=39131.80

...and while some people have certainly responded in kind (and even instigated).  Some are in the dog-house for using words like "small minded" and "violent" (oh and "jerky" but I already apologized for that one).

This kind of reminds me.  In the informal fallacies there's something called "Ad hominem" which means in Latin "To the man".  The idea being that an attack on a person is not an attack on an argument.  So even if we found out that bitcoin2cash really did eat babies or something more realistic like he's a terrible hypocrite when it comes to telling people to mind their language  Grin it doesn't mean that his arguments are false.

But the principle has nothing to do with bitcoin2cash's nonsense.  Heck many famous debates and philosophers traded insults.  Socrates was (rightly or wrong) noted for having insulted more people than any crime could have ever brought him.   Even the Bible has insults in it - like what Paul advises people who think people need to be ritually circumcised should do.

“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting." - Epictetus.

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 01:35:55 AM

I'm just going to second clicking on the link jgraham provided.  It's good for some definite lulz as moron2cash's (oops, there I go again) hypocricy is exposed.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 03:35:50 AM

I'm just going to second clicking on the link jgraham provided.  It's good for some definite lulz as moron2cash's (oops, there I go again) hypocricy is exposed.

No offense, but I'm starting to get the feeling you are desperate for attention.
NghtRppr (OP)

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 03:57:26 AM

No offense, but I'm starting to get the feeling you are desperate for attention.

It doesn't matter what I did in the past. This is my policy moving forward. If anyone catches me insulting someone from this point on they'll have a valid claim to hypocrisy. I tried going toe-to-toe with the insults but it's gotten old. I'm trying something new. If anyone doesn't like it or understand it, too bad. Things change.
im3w1l

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 10:28:10 PM

It doesn't matter what I did in the past.

You can think so, but you can't force others too...
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 11:09:06 PM

The level of skillful debate in this forum is embarrassing.

I am about to have a weekly debate show and just bring along anyone from the forum and destroy them.

NghtRppr (OP)

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 11:15:19 PM

It doesn't matter what I did in the past.

You can think so, but you can't force others too...

That's a single sentence taken out of context. The point is, you can't call me a hypocrite unless you can show that my previous policy was never to insult people that insulted me first. You catch me from this moment on, you'll have made a point.
The Script

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 12:35:22 AM

I am about to have a weekly debate show and just bring along anyone from the forum and destroy them.

This could be fun and interesting, actually.  There are online sites where you can host debates.  I'm not very good at live debates but it would be a good way to get better provided the context was correct.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 01:20:16 AM

This could be fun and interesting, actually.  There are online sites where you can host debates.  I'm not very good at live debates but it would be a good way to get better provided the context was correct.
Yes it would be fun to do this. People have challenged me to debates, but they always want written debates (much easier) and never full video ones. I will only debate via live stream and live stream only
The Script

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 01:28:45 AM

Yes it would be fun to do this. People have challenged me to debates, but they always want written debates (much easier) and never full video ones. I will only debate via live stream and live stream only

I suppose it ruins some of the anonymity that people like about the internet forums.  But that's what Guy Fawkes masks are for, yes?  Wink 
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:15:52 AM

Get some moderators and I'm down
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:32:58 AM

I've given out my fair share of insults, only to people that insulted me first, but that changes now. From this point on, anyone attacking me personally will be put on ignore until an apology is received along with a promise to stop that kind of behavior. Anyone that doesn't want to do that, isn't worth talking to anyways. We all have different opinions. That's fine. We can discuss it politely or we can insult each other. I won't be engaging people that choose the latter anymore. I see no big loss in not talking to you if you can't act politely. I'm sure you'll come up with all kinds of reasons why I just want to ignore your "genius" but you'll never know since you refuse to behave yourself.

Current Ignore List:

AyeYo
FirstAscent
jgraham

Quote from: bitcoin2cash
fuck me
You said it, not me.

The Script

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:14:54 AM

Get some moderators and I'm down

I've thought about this but I'm not sure how to get three people on a video chat.  The site I mentioned only does two (I think).  Are you wanting to debate FlipPro?  Who would you choose as a moderator?  Most people on this forum seem to have very strong and polarized views. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: