Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:23:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Block orphans/day?  (Read 2351 times)
Sergio_Demian_Lerner (OP)
expert

Activity: 552
Merit: 629

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 02:57:11 AM

Does anyone know a web page which shows a live statistic of the number of orphans created in a day ?

Is there any paper that presents this information?

Have anyone computed the average orphan rate during last year and previous years?

Best regards,
 Sergio.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
t3a

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:27:04 AM

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-orphaned-blocks

Advertise here for 10btc/day
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:45:01 AM

Why are there 32 orphan blocks on March 11-March 15?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:00:40 AM

is that an unusual number of orphan blocks?
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:25:33 AM

BIP 50

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:27:41 AM

The 0.7 - 0.8 fork, and then the required reorg thereafter orphaned a long chain.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 12:17:34 PM

Does anyone know a web page which shows a live statistic of the number of orphans created in a day ?

Have anyone computed the average orphan rate during last year and previous years?

Best regards,
 Sergio.

There is not, and such a thing is not possible.  The concept of orphanhood is purely local.  Some sites have lists of orphans as seen by their node.  Blockchain.info has already been mentioned, block explorer has another.  There are probably others too.

A while back I estimated the global race/fork rate to be in the neighborhood of 1 in 300.  My method was not very special, merely counting the orphans seen by a node and dividing by the number of blocks over the same span and multiplying by two (because I figure on average a given node will land on the winning side first about half the time).  I have vague memories of other people arriving at similar figures, but I doubt that I could find any references.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 12:26:45 PM

The spike on April 1st, 2012 is due to the P2SH roll-out.  As I understand it, there was an unusual transaction floating about which was being included in blocks by the old code which were then rejected by the new code.  This was not a long fork but a collection of small forks (a chain of length 4 was the longest reported).

The blockchain.info data doesn't seem to go back past about August 2011.

There's some data here which goes back about one more year but is less complete (because the node observed was less well-connected).

Going back a little further, there was the 50+ orphan chain in August 2010 (the infamous Value Overflow bug).
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 01:01:39 PM

A while back I estimated the global race/fork rate to be in the neighborhood of 1 in 300.  My method was not very special, merely counting the orphans seen by a node and dividing by the number of blocks over the same span and multiplying by two (because I figure on average a given node will land on the winning side first about half the time).

It would depend on the connectivity of the network. 

For an orphan, there will be 3 groups, those on one side, those on the other and those on the boundary.  Those on the boundary will receive both.

When the block is orphaned, the entire network will learn of the accepted block.

On the other hand, the block that is orphaned is more likely to be the 2nd block found of the two.  This means that the number of nodes who see it first will be smaller.

So, maybe <smaller - half> + <boundary> = <bigger-half>, so back to seeing half of the orphans.

A well connected node is likely to be on the boundary, so will see the orphan directly.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Altoidnerd

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

http://altoidnerd.com

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 04:39:35 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 06:35:41 PM by Altoidnerd

It's possible to get the number of orphans as seen by pools who found the orphaned blocks. You'll find the pools orphan rate depends on the pool software.

Question: in light of the relativity of the statistic "# of orphans" to the reporting node, what exactly in specifics is the statistic blockchain.info is reporting in the chart?

Do you even mine?
12gKRdrz7yy7erg5apUvSRGemypTUvBRuJ
t3a

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:39:18 PM

Best regards,
 Sergio.

There is not, and such a thing is not possible.  The concept of orphanhood is purely local.  Some sites have lists of orphans as seen by their node.  Blockchain.info has already been mentioned, block explorer has another.  There are probably others too.

A while back I estimated the global race/fork rate to be in the neighborhood of 1 in 300.  My method was not very special, merely counting the orphans seen by a node and dividing by the number of blocks over the same span and multiplying by two (because I figure on average a given node will land on the winning side first about half the time).  I have vague memories of other people arriving at similar figures, but I doubt that I could find any references.

Blockchain.info is connected to every major pool, so they will see much more than half of all orphans.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:59:45 PM

Blockchain.info is connected to every major pool, so they will see much more than half of all orphans.

I can say with considerable confidence that you are not in possession of data supporting that claim.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Altoidnerd

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 08:33:45 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 08:47:15 PM by Altoidnerd

I can say with considerable confidence that you are not in possession of data supporting that claim.

Not sure we have a working definition of orphan.  A solved block which is never broadcast shouldn't qualify as an orphan; for an edge case, I mine one mentally and never tell anyone.  There could be many of these, but they lack physical meaning.

Probably, the only meaningful metric has units of orphans*nodes orphans*edges1 and so is weighted by how popular an orphan is before it is orphaned...

Another problem with creating a definition for orphan is the remote possibility that a shorter chain catches up later...it may or may not be possible to say a block is certainly an orphan at some time - unless 100 confirms is used as a hard limit?  Not sure.

1 in the graph theory sense.  Since a solo disconnected node can mine infinity orphans tomorrow, it is perhaps necessary to exclude the (root?) (seed?), or count edges.

Terminology may exist here http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/156072/bitcoin.pdf

Do you even mine?
t3a

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 01:53:01 AM

Well right here it says who the block was relayed by. It either was sent to them originally by an unknown node, or it was sent to them by a known node which is owned by the pool.

https://blockchain.info/pools

Altoidnerd

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 08:48:05 PM

How do you define orphan?

Do you even mine?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 08:54:20 PM

A mined block that was not included in the main blockchain.

t3a

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:49:08 PM

The same way everyone else does. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Orphan_Block

maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:49:28 AM

Those are technically stale blocks, not orphans.

/nitpick

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
Altoidnerd

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 12:54:05 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2014, 04:06:54 AM by Altoidnerd

Right, well I made serious remarks about the shortcomings of that definition - it doesn't refer to a measurable quantity.  It refers to nothing in fact - there is no way to prove that there aren't infinity of those every day.

Here it is, again, because I can't watch y'all try to debate the measurement of a quantity that isn't even well defined.  kjj suggested something a little weaker, I agreed and took it further with:

Not sure we have a working definition of orphan.  A solved block which is never broadcast shouldn't qualify as an orphan; for an edge case, I mine one mentally and never tell anyone.  There could be many of these, but they lack physical meaning.

Probably, the only meaningful metric has units of orphans*nodes orphans*edges1 and so is weighted by how popular an orphan is before it is orphaned...

Another problem with creating a definition for orphan is the remote possibility that a shorter chain catches up later...it may or may not be possible to say a block is certainly an orphan at some time - unless 100 confirms is used as a hard limit?  Not sure.

1 in the graph theory sense.  Since a solo disconnected node can mine infinity orphans tomorrow, it is perhaps necessary to exclude the (root?) (seed?), or count edges.

Terminology may exist here http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/156072/bitcoin.pdf

TL;DR "orphans" means nothing - can't measure orphans/day but perhaps could measure (orphans) times (nodes who thought the block was legit)

Do you even mine?
t3a

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:11:49 AM

Right, well I made serious remarks about the shortcomings of that definition - it doesn't refer to a measurable quantity.  It refers to nothing in fact - there is no way to prove that there aren't infinity of those every day.
There is no way to prove that, but when a miner generates a block they will immediately broadcast it so they *don't* get orphaned.

Blockchain.info is connected to most of the major pool nodes (75% of the network hashrate is identifiable to them).

75% is more than half,

therefore blockchain.info probabilistically should see more than half of all orphaned blocks. You can't prove that there aren't infinity, but if unknown miners were producing a ton of orphans on top of the main chain then they would also be producing a ton of blocks on top of the mainchain.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: