Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:05:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 19Million MOON Stolen Just now from my wallet--WARNING  (Read 4172 times)
SenorHombre

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:40:22 PM

https://www.virtualbox.org/ --> free

http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/player/ --> not free

as I understand.

can you explain me a bit what virtual machine is and what it is doing exactly?

thanks I really appreciate this
SenorHombre

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:44:18 PM

just reading about it. maybe you can summarize it a bit in easy understandable words.

I am trying to get all of this but would help if I get a small basic instruction

thanks
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:50:18 PM

https://www.virtualbox.org/ --> free

http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/player/ --> not free

as I understand.

can you explain me a bit what virtual machine is and what it is doing exactly?

thanks I really appreciate this

At the bottom of the webpage linked to it says VMware is free for personal use but not for commercial use (as shown below).

A virtual machine is like a computer program that pretends to be whole physical computer. You can install any operating system you like into it and run it on top of your real operating system. The VM puts whole operating system into one giant file and if it gets infected with a virus you an just delete the file without it infecting your real operating system.
YourMine.org

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 10:52:45 PM

Sorry you had your moon stolen, here is just an idea, not saying it will work but it might, google is such a clever beast these days you would be surprised at how it keeps a record of every single page on the web & whats on that page, now if this person who stole your coin has posted in a forum somewhere on a giveaway with that wallet address then that address will be stored, search it in google you might just get revenge.
  Just an idea.
SenorHombre

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 10:57:21 PM

Okay, I got it partially.

But still would have the problem that the wallets would be infected so I would need to get all my wallet keys out and leave the rest?

Secondly, my system will be way slower when I am using virtual machine?

Its probably I good idea, so I could get familiar to linux. Since I use win 7 but I think for some purposes it is good to know linux.

So if I run virtual box I can use to operating system at once. this also means my computer will be slower? also in mining etc?

But I always can stop virtual box and only use it when I need it.

Is there a good way to check my computer for virus or malware or whatever there is out?

Or is simply antivir, spybot and windows firewall enoug?

sorry for bothering you, but i think its good if I know this and get familiar to these points
XCASH
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:17:11 PM

Okay, I got it partially.

But still would have the problem that the wallets would be infected so I would need to get all my wallet keys out and leave the rest?

Secondly, my system will be way slower when I am using virtual machine?

Its probably I good idea, so I could get familiar to linux. Since I use win 7 but I think for some purposes it is good to know linux.

So if I run virtual box I can use to operating system at once. this also means my computer will be slower? also in mining etc?

But I always can stop virtual box and only use it when I need it.

Is there a good way to check my computer for virus or malware or whatever there is out?

Or is simply antivir, spybot and windows firewall enoug?

sorry for bothering you, but i think its good if I know this and get familiar to these points

You can link a virtual machine to a usb thumb drive and save your wallet dat on that if the machine gets infected. Afterwards you can scan the usb stick to remove any viruses and copy the wallet dat onto your real computer.

There is a virus that can infect usb sticks and travel between computers using them called the conficker virus. You can stop it using the software linked to below. However, the software disables auto run functionality on any usb stick you use it on. Therefore you have to open the usb stick drive folder yourself.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/panda_usb_and_autorun_vaccine.html

Windows firewall used to be crap. The best one to use depends on how well you know how to configure a particular frewall and how many firewall pop ups asking if it is OK to let a program access the internet you are willing to put up with. Some firewalls decide for themselves and others can be set to ask you every time something wants to get through to the internet.
SenorHombre

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:21:10 PM

thanks alot. I will figure this out tomorrow. Its always good to learn something new.
samysamy1

Activity: 490
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:23:17 PM

OK wait I don't get it guys. You recommend the use of a VM but at the same time it is said to ignore wallets that clearly show to have a virus cos it's part of the wallet? How can we find out the difference?

I do remember that the Mooncoin wallet was a mess and had Doge on it. The developer was desperately looking quickly for someone to fix the wallet.
SenorHombre

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:24:48 PM

this world is not getting any simpler :-) Got alot of headache today. I hope everything will be fine.

I deleted the mooncoin wallet. all should be fine. but maybe I can improve it in the future. The day needs more like 48h or something
XCASH
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:31:44 PM

OK wait I don't get it guys. You recommend the use of a VM but at the same time it is said to ignore wallets that clearly show to have a virus cos it's part of the wallet? How can we find out the difference?

I do remember that the Mooncoin wallet was a mess and had Doge on it. The developer was desperately looking quickly for someone to fix the wallet.

I cannot find a way around this bit. One of the experts on here said some antivirus programs flag all wallets as viruses because they have mining code in them. I cannot work out how to be sure there is no virus in them if the scanner always says there is a virus.

In addition, I have been considering using one of the bitcoin blockchain downloads offered in a zip file by some websites. Can this be infected and is there any way to check besides scanning with standard antivirus software.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: