Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:05:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So Gaddafi has had his foreign assets frozen......  (Read 2384 times)
oakpacific (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 08:24:42 PM

When will him(assume he is still alive) or other dictators discover Bitcoin?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 08:34:39 PM

So by this I assume you support terrorism, tyranny and dictatorships?
oakpacific (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 08:41:58 PM

Did I say I support these activities anywhere? Bitcoin itself offers an impartial protection of its owners' privacies, if the dictators decide to invest on Bitcoins there is nothing we can do to prevent them from doing so as long as the design iteself remains flawless, then it would be interesting to speculate whether and how will they get in, and what its impact would be.

Anonymous

August 31, 2011, 08:51:40 PM

No, he did not. An opinion was never made.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 09:04:02 PM

So by this I assume you support Al Qaeda, terrorists, violence and religious wars?
onesalt

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 11:26:49 PM

It's called an "assumption". Gaddafi Vowed to continue a Guerilla war after he was deposed (which in this day and age essentially amounts to domestic terrorism) and he himself funded a cruel and tyrannical regime. If you believe he is entitled to his wealth after vowing to use it for such disgusting tactics I could only assume you must agree with what he has done.
oakpacific (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 11:48:51 PM

It's called an "assumption". Gaddafi Vowed to continue a Guerilla war after he was deposed (which in this day and age essentially amounts to domestic terrorism) and he himself funded a cruel and tyrannical regime. If you believe he is entitled to his wealth after vowing to use it for such disgusting tactics I could only assume you must agree with what he has done.

I am not saying he is entitled to own anything. But seeing that he is still lurking around with armored limousines, bodyguards, family members, etc, and is fully able to feed all these people, one can only assume that he is carrying substantial amount of material wealth, and is still well-connected to purchase living necessities. and I don't think he was silly enough to convert all his wealth into fiat currencies, especially considering he was trying to build a gold-backed economic system. So you probably had made a presumption of evil intention.

onesalt

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 11:51:57 PM

I am not saying he is entitled to own anything. But seeing that he is still lurking around with armored limousines, bodyguards, family members, etc, and is fully able to feed all these people, one can only assume that he is carrying substantial amount of material wealth, and is still well-connected to purchase living necessities. and I don't think he was silly enough to convert all his wealth into fiat currencies, especially considering he was trying to build a gold-backed economic system. So you probably had made a presumption of evil intention.

This is besides the point. The man has vowed to fund terrorism with his money, and yet you have objected to what money he has in international banks being seized from him. If you are disputing that this should not be the case you are essentially agreeing that he should be allowed to fund guerrilla warfare against innocents after his long and brutal regime.
oakpacific (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 12:01:33 AM

This is besides the point. The man has vowed to fund terrorism with his money, and yet you have objected to what money he has in international banks being seized from him. If you are disputing that this should not be the case you are essentially agreeing that he should be allowed to fund guerrilla warfare against innocents after his long and brutal regime.
Excuse me, but where did I make such objections, disputes as you have put into text? All I was saying is, due to Bitcoin's inherent protection against government probes, it maybe possible that the dictators will get interested in it., if just by talking about dictators' willingness to use Bitcoin will make me a terrorism supporter, then the same standard should be applied to your post in which you mentioned terrorism, tyranny, etc. And if you're calling my last post"besides the point", I would doubt if you even understand what a "point" is.

max in montreal

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 12:05:58 AM

Its posts like these that make this forum suck. When you must defend yourself from someone who thinks you meant to say something you did not...
The Script

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 12:33:17 AM

And the Libyan rebels have links to Al Qaeda, a known terrorist organization.  So by using your own logic: by not supporting Gaddafi you support a known terrorist organization taking control of Libya.  You're a dirty terrorist-lover.  See how that works?
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 01:44:10 AM

Disclaimer: I hate disclaimers.

...but in my opinion OP, it's only a matter of time before dictators discover Bitcoin. If Gaddaffi or other could have his billions in a backed-up, encrypted file (or several), that's going to make their lives a whole lot easier after a regime change.
max in montreal

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 02:59:51 AM

So how would he pull out the money when needed? I assume it would be in huge chunks of money...not the 5-100 btc withdrawls that we might be used to seeing... Huh
helloworld

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 03:14:08 AM

So how would he pull out the money when needed? I assume it would be in huge chunks of money...not the 5-100 btc withdrawls that we might be used to seeing... Huh

If a dictator stored billions in bitcoin, we would no longer be used to seeing 5 btc *anywhere* Smiley
FirstAscent

Activity: 812

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 03:17:47 AM

Honestly, Bitcoin is likely dead unless Africa actually adopts it, which could happen.
helloworld

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 04:25:56 AM

Honestly, Bitcoin is likely dead unless Africa actually adopts it, which could happen.

It's already happening, but those $80 smartphones will surely help.
oakpacific (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 11:06:33 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2011, 11:37:43 AM by oakpacific

Having his regime toppled, he should not still be expecting the same kind of  luxurious life-style as he once had, several million dollars worth of usable money to last him and his family memebers in a well-off way would be a God's gift, this amount of money could be drawn out of the market without causing much notice, given that Bitcoin had several hundred million dollars worth of market value at its price peak.

GideonGono

Activity: 1988
Merit: 501

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 12:57:37 PM

Having his regime toppled, he should not still be expecting the same kind of  luxurious life-style as he once had, several million dollars worth of usable money to last him and his family memebers in a well-off way would be a God's gift, this amount of money could be drawn out of the market without causing much notice, given that Bitcoin had several hundred million dollars worth of market value at its price peak.

But he'll still need some place to spend them and I don't know of any BTC stores that sell dictator level luxury goods, guns n' ammo, torture racks and other authoritarian accessories. Cashing out seems out of the question since it's to the same banking system that has already blacklisted him.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
oakpacific (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 01:17:15 PM

But he'll still need some place to spend them and I don't know of any BTC stores that sell dictator level luxury goods, guns n' ammo, torture racks and other authoritarian accessories. Cashing out seems out of the question since it's to the same banking system that has already blacklisted him.

If he is able to travel out of Libya to a country with reasonably well commodity distribution network, it would be possible for him to stay in hiding while buying all the necessary goods for many years like what Whitey Bulger has done.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 04:02:19 PM

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: