Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:42:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: These guys are UNBELIEVABLE. The Brookings Institution weighs in.  (Read 6037 times)
tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:54:06 PM

Now the real fun will begin... The fuckers are feeling threated by Bitcoin. It's a huge day for Bitcoin, believe me.

Believe me.  They can't do anything about it.

They could, however, start buying it up to get rid of bit coins.  I imagine if the price keeps going down, they'll do that exact thing, in an attempt to side-lining the project and destroying the coins that they buy. 

Now, this could have the effect of raising bit coin prices so that fractions of a coin become just as valuable as well.  Who knows, we'll see! 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 07:05:06 PM

Now the real fun will begin... The fuckers are feeling threated by Bitcoin. It's a huge day for Bitcoin, believe me.

They could, however, start buying it up to get rid of bit coins.  I imagine if the price keeps going down, they'll do that exact thing, in an attempt to side-lining the project and destroying the coins that they buy. 

Now, this could have the effect of raising bit coin prices so that fractions of a coin become just as valuable as well.  Who knows, we'll see! 

I was going along similar lines here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=14163.0
ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2011, 07:18:56 PM

If they buy all the money they can hoard price will rise, but market will die slowly due to the fact that only BTC to goods transactions will be out of reach. But  the market is not ready to sustain a similar attack because there is only 1 level or at least 2 in the market (supplier will be payed in fiat currency for most of the merchant out there so all needs to convert BTC to fiat in short times)

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
MyBitcoinMint

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2011, 11:39:25 PM

yea they could.. go after dwoala , camp bx , flexcoin...  then push Japan to put pressure on Mt. Gox ...

Can they shut down bitcoin?  No.. but they can send it to 10 cents by the time they are done.

I would think gov't attempts to shut down the Exchanges/Bitbanks would probably result in higher Bitcoin prices rather than lower...not to mention new exchanges/Bitbanks can pop up anytime/anywhere..

My Bitcoin Mint
Sound Money...from your hard drive, to your hand!
www.MyBitcoinMint.com
Isepick

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 12:35:43 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2011, 01:16:40 AM by Isepick

Or in order to disrupt Bitcoin the Feds could start a competing blockchain

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2011, 01:22:42 AM

What's the best way to rob a bank?

Stop using money.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 06:24:30 AM

What's the best way to rob a bank?

Stop using money.

Yes, thats also the best way to discoordinate the economy and make everybody poor.

The best way to rob a bank is stop using THEIR money.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 07:05:03 AM

The best way to rob a bank?  Own one.
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 10:10:24 AM

best way to rob a bank...Huh

Wait for a Tsunami, and have a large boat nearby.

A guy in Japan recently returned 70 Million in funds locked in vaults that washed ashore after the flooding from the tsunami.

Why are the Japanese so gullible and dumb and nice?

FUCK THAT!

Banks insured! I KEEP IT ALL!

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
bitrebel

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 10:35:13 AM

BTW, did you know the guy who is current President of the Brookings Institute for the last 10 years approx. is a known Skull & Bonesman. Talbott, Strobe - NO FUCKING SURPRISE, RIGHT? The piece of shit bastard Masons and scam artist politicians and fraudulent bankster scumbags!

Talbott, Nelson Strobridge III (b. 1946) — also known as Strobe Talbott — of Ohio. Born in 1946. U.S. Ambassador to , 1993-94. Member, Skull and Bones. Still living as of 1994.

http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/talbott.html#393.42.74

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2011, 10:51:54 AM

The potential Achilles heel of Bitcoin—that each server in the network contains a complete record
of all transactions—will almost certainly be addressed in future systems that distribute transaction
information so that no single server or small collection of servers contains a complete transaction
record. It is also possible to envision systems in which the transaction records are not only
distributed, but evanescent, so that even the collective information stored on all the servers in the
system at any given time would not enable a complete reconstruction of transaction history.

It'd call this predictive programming, an attempt by it self to inject this idea ("terrorist cell" split-up of the blockchain)  into the bitcoin community. This attempt may even the whole purpose of the paper. If they are successful it would be easier to demonize bitcoin.

We are already under attack and this is the first strike in the psywar.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 11:40:58 AM

best way to rob a bank...Huh

Wait for a Tsunami, and have a large boat nearby.

A guy in Japan recently returned 70 Million in funds locked in vaults that washed ashore after the flooding from the tsunami.

Why are the Japanese so gullible and dumb and nice?

FUCK THAT!

Banks insured! I KEEP IT ALL!

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04032009/watch.html

"The best way to rob a bank?  Own one."
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 11:55:29 AM

The potential Achilles heel of Bitcoin—that each server in the network contains a complete record
of all transactions—will almost certainly be addressed in future systems that distribute transaction
information so that no single server or small collection of servers contains a complete transaction
record. It is also possible to envision systems in which the transaction records are not only
distributed, but evanescent, so that even the collective information stored on all the servers in the
system at any given time would not enable a complete reconstruction of transaction history.

It'd call this predictive programming, an attempt by it self to inject this idea ("terrorist cell" split-up of the blockchain)  into the bitcoin community. This attempt may even the whole purpose of the paper. If they are successful it would be easier to demonize bitcoin.

We are already under attack and this is the first strike in the psywar.
Really? The blockchain size is the Achilles heel? Who do these people think they are? Oh right, never-mind. They do not understand bitcoin, nor the internet. It's a good thing we have actual smart people *doing* the work that makes technology possible while the anti-intellectuals write silly papers that do nothing. As far as competing multiple blockchains go; I'm all for them. As a psywar assault, this paper is an epic fail. I'll give the Brookings Institute a hint. If you want to attack bitcoins, passing laws against free speech won't work. Just buy them all up like Roosevelt did with gold. QED.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2011, 03:56:54 PM

Can they shut down bitcoin?  No.. but they can send it to 10 cents by the time they are done.
And bitcoin would still work perfectly well.

Anyone investing in bitcoin should assess the risk of government interference and remain appropriately diversified.  For people that simply want true two party transactions, bitcoin works at any price.  If governments really want to stop bitcoin, they'll need to place restrictions on all forms of digital communications.  They'll need to make sure you check with a government agency before you exchange USB keys with anyone.  The transfer of ownership of a computer will need to be a registered and tracked activity.  And let's not forget radio...bitcoin will work fine over HAM radio covering very large distances...they'll have to put an end to any form of digital communication over radio.  And what about bluetooth, NFC, QR codes and optical scanners...they'll need regulations for those.  They'll need to make sure any wifi enabled device runs only government provided software.

This article, while disturbing in many respects, is grossly underestimating the magnitude of the expenditure that will be required to stop or control digital currencies from proliferating.  At some point, I'm confident that govt's and financial institutions will make the rational, self interested and self preservationist decision that it is better to make use of digital currencies than to fight them.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 04:10:54 PM

Can they shut down bitcoin?  No.. but they can send it to 10 cents by the time they are done.

Anyone investing in bitcoin should assess the risk of government interference and remain appropriately diversified.  For people that simply want true two party transactions, bitcoin works at any price.  If governments really want to stop bitcoin, they'll need to place restrictions on all forms of digital communications.  They'll need to make sure you check with a government agency before you exchange USB keys with anyone.  The transfer of ownership of a computer will need to be a registered and tracked activity.  And let's not forget radio...bitcoin will work fine over HAM radio covering very large distances...they'll have to put an end to any form of digital communication over radio.  And what about bluetooth, NFC, QR codes and optical scanners...they'll need regulations for those.  They'll need to make sure any wifi enabled device runs only government provided software.

This article, while disturbing in many respects, is grossly underestimating the magnitude of the expenditure that will be required to stop or control digital currencies from proliferating.  At some point, I'm confident that govt's and financial institutions will make the rational, self interested and self preservationist decision that it is better to make use of digital currencies than to fight them.

+1.  this is the first time i've ever read of alternative creative ways to use Bitcoin.  care to elaborate about how Bitcoin could work over digital radio and bluetooth?
the founder

Activity: 448

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2011, 04:11:04 PM

Can they shut down bitcoin?  No.. but they can send it to 10 cents by the time they are done.
At some point, I'm confident that govt's and financial institutions will make the rational, self interested and self preservationist decision that it is better to make use of digital currencies than to fight them.

Steve, we're talking about Washington DC (the guys that almost defaulted on our debt last month) and Bankers that established over the past 200 years their own system that everyone legally has to follow.

Trust me there is a difference between rational and what we got going on in Washington.

It's akin to having Exxon be the legal regulatory power for Electric Cars...

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2011, 04:50:20 PM

Anyone investing in bitcoin should assess the risk of government interference and remain appropriately diversified.  For people that simply want true two party transactions, bitcoin works at any price.  If governments really want to stop bitcoin, they'll need to place restrictions on all forms of digital communications.  They'll need to make sure you check with a government agency before you exchange USB keys with anyone.  The transfer of ownership of a computer will need to be a registered and tracked activity.  And let's not forget radio...bitcoin will work fine over HAM radio covering very large distances...they'll have to put an end to any form of digital communication over radio.  And what about bluetooth, NFC, QR codes and optical scanners...they'll need regulations for those.  They'll need to make sure any wifi enabled device runs only government provided software.

This article, while disturbing in many respects, is grossly underestimating the magnitude of the expenditure that will be required to stop or control digital currencies from proliferating.  At some point, I'm confident that govt's and financial institutions will make the rational, self interested and self preservationist decision that it is better to make use of digital currencies than to fight them.

+1.  this is the first time i've ever read of alternative creative ways to use Bitcoin.  care to elaborate about how Bitcoin could work over digital radio and bluetooth?

There are only two things bitcoin nodes have to communicate with each other...transactions and blocks.  Neither of these require a particularly large amount of bandwidth and they are both asynchronous.  For the same reasons that the internet can be made to work over these communications channels, bitcoin can as well.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2011, 04:57:37 PM

BTW, did you know the guy who is current President of the Brookings Institute for the last 10 years approx. is a known Skull & Bonesman. Talbott, Strobe - NO FUCKING SURPRISE, RIGHT? The piece of shit bastard Masons and scam artist politicians and fraudulent bankster scumbags!

Talbott, Nelson Strobridge III (b. 1946) — also known as Strobe Talbott — of Ohio. Born in 1946. U.S. Ambassador to , 1993-94. Member, Skull and Bones. Still living as of 1994.

Hate to break the bad news, but I've uncovered a many of them attached to Bitcoin via my stupid re-search of TW. Some of them being early adapters. Also, other early members are/were involved with WOW Gold and/or practice some form of occult.
Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 05:02:30 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2013, 12:52:15 AM by Vladimir

-
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2011, 05:04:59 PM

Hate to break the bad news, but I've uncovered a many of them attached to Bitcoin via my stupid re-search of TW. Some of them being early adapters. Also, other early members are/were involved with WOW Gold and/or practice some form of occult.
Do you have hard evidence of that?

We are crossing into tinfoilhat / omg its nwo the bohemian grove territory here.
Imho: Too much mystique over the cypherpunks
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: