Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:34:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Overstock.com's News on Accepting Bitcoin, Underwhelming Price Boost.  (Read 5264 times)
maursader (OP)

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:30:50 AM

As the title says, seems like people were expecting some lunar performance, but got some down-to-earth performance.

Do you think that Overstock.com's acceptance was a significant thing for the price of bitcoin? If yes, let us know.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:43:06 AM

I think any price boost was tempered big time by the Ghash.io story
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 01:46:04 AM

As the title says, seems like people were expecting some lunar performance, but got some down-to-earth performance.

Do you think that Overstock.com's acceptance was a significant thing for the price of bitcoin? If yes, let us know.

Price dropping at coinbase should be expected if Overstock is converting to dollars immediately. it's effectively a big dump of coin. could be a good buying opportunity.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
mpattison

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:47:50 AM

Price dropping at coinbase should be expected if Overstock is converting to dollars immediately. it's effectively a big dump of coin. could be a good buying opportunity.

Pretty much this.
Because OS doesn't hold the Bitcoin, it's flipped immediately for $ (we must assume) and this causes a drop, not a climb!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:50:20 AM

It's a tiny amount of Bitcoin right now. It's possible the coins will be sold directly to Coinbase customers without hitting a market. It's a useful channel for them.

Overall it's massive news and a great prospect for the long term viability. Short term it might spook some day trading types for no particularly convincing reason.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 02:04:12 AM

It's a tiny amount of Bitcoin right now. It's possible the coins will be sold directly to Coinbase customers without hitting a market. It's a useful channel for them.

Overall it's massive news and a great prospect for the long term viability. Short term it might spook some day trading types for no particularly convincing reason.

obviously you don't understand how coinbase works. they are a exchange but also the counterparty to every trade. so coinbase buys the BTC and then sells it to it's customers for a markup. they don't buy unless they already have a seller lined up. it's almost risk free for them and sucks if you are selling BTC, but hell, at least they send you your USD in a week. still waiting on a wire xfer from gox I initiated November 11.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
rix5

Activity: 271

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:27:06 AM

I think any price boost was tempered big time by the Ghash.io story

i agree with this. If the ghash.io-thing would not have been going on at the same time we would be in the 1200$-range by now. The two stories equaled each other out. Overstocks just saved us from an epic crash is my opinion.
Michael Robinson

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:50:56 AM

I think it's because this wasn't "news".  Overstock announced it would be accepting bitcoin payments weeks ago, and at that point it DID boost the price.

The thing to look for is whether this is successful or not.  If the merchants that agree to accept bitcoin end up seeing very little reward and give up, it will ultimately cause major trouble to bitcoin.  If the exact opposite happens, we'll see even bigger merchants hop onto the bandwagon. 

At this point the success of bitcoin entirely depends on people using it.  Even if it's just a small percentage of your bitcoin, buy stuff with it.  Or, if you don't want to lower your bitcoin balance, like me, buy stuff with it then immediately replace what you spent. 

If you have bitcoin and you aren't spending any of it, you are not helping the cause whatsoever, and ultimately just hurting yourself. 
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 06:11:46 AM

I had been wondering how Overstock intended to handle the transactions. Made my first Overstock and Gyft purchases today, mainly just to see (newbie). I'm interested to see what happens at every turn for bitcoin. No matter how things turn out, this is history happening right now. I may have to "suck it up" a 'little' if my $50. Target gyft card purchase now, turns into a $500. loss next year.

[insert image of toilet paper roll made of $100. bills.jpeg]

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
Voogru

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 07:47:30 AM

One of the advantages of Overstock, and other merchants immediately converting to US dollars, is it prevents bitcoin prices from getting too bubbly, as it forces bitcoins onto the market to be sold. It also throws out the hoarding argument a little bit.
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:52:10 AM

It's good that BTC is becoming more widely used however the price may suffer in the immediate future due to the dumping of BTC back on to the market.
Tschai

Activity: 315

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:53:45 AM

Never hear of overstock.com.
Maybe a typical american-only store?
maursader (OP)

Activity: 509

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:58:21 AM

They do ship outside of USA, but yes, predominantly it's american. Only US-based customers may spend with bitcoin on that site.
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:26:11 AM

The tiny amount of btc that overstock would be moving in the first day is hardly going to damage the market price. I'd bet that the news just hasn't really spread yet, tech people are busy, swamped with CES, etc. It doesn't have to cause an immediate 20% spike in the value of BTC for it to be a huge positive movement for the market.
Raghnar

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:59:12 AM

I think it's because this wasn't "news".  Overstock announced it would be accepting bitcoin payments weeks ago, and at that point it DID boost the price.e

They didn't announce that they would be accepting bitcoin payments, they announced that they PLANNED to accept bitcoin payments in about five months.   That was far from a sure thing and a lot could have gone wrong before then (including changing their mind).   

So it is significant "news" that a major retailer is actually taking bitcoin.  However the chart was already screwed up plus the recent bad news out of China and the mining bad news, so was too much to overcome.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:13:14 AM

I think it's because this wasn't "news".  Overstock announced it would be accepting bitcoin payments weeks ago, and at that point it DID boost the price.e

They didn't announce that they would be accepting bitcoin payments, they announced that they PLANNED to accept bitcoin payments in about five months.   That was far from a sure thing and a lot could have gone wrong before then (including changing their mind).   

So it is significant "news" that a major retailer is actually taking bitcoin.  However the chart was already screwed up plus the recent bad news out of China and the mining bad news, so was too much to overcome.

http://www.overstock.com/bitcoin?TID=PRODPG:Bitcoin

They are accepting BTC NOW.

Raghnar

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:30:14 AM

http://www.overstock.com/bitcoin?TID=PRODPG:Bitcoin

They are accepting BTC NOW.

Yes that was my point.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 03:23:44 PM

Why is everyone suddenly ranting about Overstock again? Did nobody check the date on the news articles? I checked the site and don't see anything in their checkout yet, nice to see the actual CEO talking about it though.
SirWilliam

Activity: 248

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:38:25 PM

Why is everyone suddenly ranting about Overstock again? Did nobody check the date on the news articles? I checked the site and don't see anything in their checkout yet, nice to see the actual CEO talking about it though.

Y'all didn't look too close at the checkout page on overstock did ya?  Grin

Set the country to USA, put something in the basket, go to checkout, checkout as a guest if you aren't registered and then look at the payment options...
Philj

Activity: 388

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:10:52 PM

this is another place to use bitcoin as a currency instead of as an investment which is great. Things will start to get really interesting when stores like this can actually use the btc rather than convert to $ immediately. Once they can use BTC to pay their suppliers, or their employees, then BTC will truly be a real currency and the overall value will rise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: