Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:05:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BlockChain.info telling me that I have exceeded number of SMS verifications  (Read 1614 times)
keithers (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:46:37 PM

Update:   I was just able to log in, the system sent me an SMS finally, and I was able to get in and switch the system to google authenticator.   So word of advise, if you are going to be using your account for a large number of transactions per day and you will be logging in and out frequently, SMS 2 factor, is NOT the way to go for a 2nd layer of security.

Glad it worked out for you already Smiley

Google authenticator is so sweet!

Yes, thank you for getting back to me so quickly.   You were one of the only people to hop on the thread right away, when i needed some assistance, I really appreciate it.   What wallet do you use?  The official bitcoin one?   

I use litecoin qt, but have not used the official bitcoin one at all yet...
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:50:53 PM

Update:   I was just able to log in, the system sent me an SMS finally, and I was able to get in and switch the system to google authenticator.   So word of advise, if you are going to be using your account for a large number of transactions per day and you will be logging in and out frequently, SMS 2 factor, is NOT the way to go for a 2nd layer of security.

Yes, thank you for getting back to me so quickly.   You were one of the only people to hop on the thread right away, when i needed some assistance, I really appreciate it.   What wallet do you use?  The official bitcoin one?   

For Bitcoin, i don't recommend you to use the official bitcoin qt wallet, as downloading the blockchain takes a long time. Instead, you should use MultiBit or Electrum.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:07:43 PM

I use electrum (electrum.org). Thoroughly recommended, if only because you don't have to download the blockchain (yawn).
byt411

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:23:10 PM

I use electrum (electrum.org). Thoroughly recommended, if only because you don't have to download the blockchain (yawn).

I can't agree more with you. Electrum takes 1 second to setup: you download and install it, and you already have addresses. There is no need to sync the entire blockchain or anything like that, although it isn't the most secure option. I would say that Armory is the most secure free wallet right now.

Of course, if you want to be super-safe, you can download the official BitCoin QT, wait for a week or so (Slight exaggeration) for the blockchain to sync, you transfer all your coins to that address, you write down private key, store it in a safe and delete the whole official BitCoin QT.
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:49:55 PM

guys using blockchain.info, does it automatically log you out after just a few minutes of inactivity?   I keep having to log in over and over.   Kind of annoying.   I guess cool for security if someone happened to hop on my computer, but it auto logs me out super quick
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:51:09 PM

Thanks! Will look into it.   I am trying to spread my holdings over a few spots just in case I have a problem with one of them.   I would hate to lose any of my BTC, but if it somehow were to happen, I would rather lose a portion, than my whole portfolio, you know?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:54:22 AM

guys using blockchain.info, does it automatically log you out after just a few minutes of inactivity?   I keep having to log in over and over.   Kind of annoying.   I guess cool for security if someone happened to hop on my computer, but it auto logs me out super quick

Sorry to step in again Smiley

One reason sites log you out like that is if your IP address switches. I used to live in an apartment where they had an insane IP switching system. Like every 2 minutes. And so many sites just kept logging me out. Had to move apartment Smiley

Use whatismyip.com to check if your IP is changing rapidly ....
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:57:09 AM

One reason sites log you out like that is if your IP address switches. I used to live in an apartment where they had an insane IP switching system. Like every 2 minutes. And so many sites just kept logging me out. Had to move apartment Smiley

Oh yeah, i didnt think of that. I am going to see if my office does that with the IP address. Thanks!
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 03:27:22 AM

Oh yeah, i didnt think of that. I am going to see if my office does that with the IP address. Thanks!

My tipjar is:
1A5cdPbioVMRdv7nB86uhWUkK2Udrts4vZ

if you are feeling extra generous later Smiley
byt411

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 04:01:55 AM

It might not be that you have a dynamic IP address. It's something automatic. Go to Account Settings -> General -> Inactivity Logout and you can choose.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: