View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
samtheman

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:25:42 AM

I wanted to know of any BTC companies you can buy shares in too but couldnt find any...
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:58:21 AM

One of the main problems right now, in my mind, is liquidity. Buying and selling BTC for local currency. It's absurdly difficult when you think about it. It's the biggest barrier to entry for most and it means increased volitility.

We need a proper UK exchange, which means working with regulators. The first to market will do very well indeed.

What happened to coinfloor.co.uk? Maybe you could contact them. I suspect their lawyers advised them to hold off for whatever reason. Which tells me they need better lawyers and a closer relationship with regulators, HMRC, etc.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:01:10 AM

I would say help expand the UK market by putting up some ATM machines
Otherwise go buy some shares in a company on havelock
https://www.havelockinvestments.com/

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:36:04 AM

I would say help expand the UK market by putting up some ATM machines
Otherwise go buy some shares in a company on havelock
https://www.havelockinvestments.com/
I like the idea of ATMs (London is getting one early this year) and I'm wondering what difference the ZipZap announcement will make in the UK, but they are no substitute for simple GBP to BTC exchanges.

I'd keep an eye on Havelock but there's not much on there at the moment (i.e. most companies are established and aren't asking for money and the ones that are new/releasing shares aren't necessarily compelling ideas/offerings).
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:48:26 AM

Buying and selling BTC for local currency. It's absurdly difficult when you think about it.

+1000

That's why i can't find others peoples that it can use bitcoin has a simple alternative for credit card.
coinrevo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:48:43 AM

Strangely enough there are not that many interesting applications at the moment, so I very much agree that it is not really known what these can be. I believe all of the current proposals are not going to work, because of a fundamental misunderstanding about economics. All other suggestions are usually pretty boring (yet another XYZ).

Some applications that would move things forward IMO:

* make Namecoin work, but there is a lot of things that one needs to get right. There might be some intermediary steps one can make. Its not necessarily a business per se.

* message boards/social networks reimagined with bitcoin at the core. make sensible policies. better crowdfunding (for example measuring success of a project and release BTC via escrow). like the share concept, but not in the hand of a corporation.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 12:11:20 PM

Not sure what the investment structure is but http://www.friendswithcoins.com needs to go mainstream.

A sort of localbitcoins trading online with your Facebook friends.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:06:26 PM

I've been quite fortunate enough to hold onto a lot of bitcoin since the early days and have since seen my fortunes rise to levels I had never even dreamed I would get near. As my way of putting something back in I've been looking for services and technologies to invest in which could improve the uptake and use of bitcoin but of course still be a business.

Does anyone have any real views (ie, not theoretical ideas where we don't even yet know how to approach them) on services which a bitcoin business could offer with some investment? If it is of any help I am UK based too.

Well are you looking to invest or to donate?

If it's the former, you might consider a seat on MPEx. S.NSA for instance is currently working on a usb stick-style device to allow GPG signing and decrypting with actually complete security.

If you were leaning towards donation, there's the Bitcoin 100, or Phinn's feed the homeless thingie.

I'm not aware of anything worthwhile that develops bitcoin tech on a pure donation basis, it's pretty much one or the other.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: