Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:04:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 124000 USD from bitcoins order from Overstock.com  (Read 4540 times)
lynn_402 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:44:20 PM

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/01/10/overstock-com-processed-bitcoin-orders-124-000-usd-after-just-21-hours/
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:54:23 PM

Very well done to all those who went there to spend.

Keep up the good work America.

As soon as they deliver to Europe I'll dive in the game myself!

If you have the time post something, specs, photos, anything, about what you bought please do so at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=407448.40

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 05:57:13 PM

If you have the time post something, specs, photos, anything, about what you bought please do so at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=407448.40

yup I be doing some shopping there too when they go international

TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:00:18 PM

This number doesn't really have that much significance. Obviously every bitcoin user is going to rush and make an order the first day to test out the system (or inflate the numbers). But what does it say about sales over a whole year? Or how many new users it'll attract?
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:06:50 PM

This number doesn't really have that much significance. Obviously every bitcoin user is going to rush and make an order the first day to test out the system (or inflate the numbers). But what does it say about sales over a whole year? Or how many new users it'll attract?

??
No one has made that claim.
It's initial sales data from right after they started accepting a niche new payment system with lots of fanboys. I think most people realize that $124,000 in 21 hours says little about long-term effect.
But Amagi Metals isn't complaining and they've been accepting for over a year IIRC. There isn't exactly a slew of companies CANCELLING their bitpay accounts so I think that says enough to satisfy your concerns ;-) No one's forcing them to do it so a reasonable assumption is that it remains profitable.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:11:52 PM

When your margins are as low as they need to be in order to compete in this market, adding something like an option for Bitcoin payments, which is paid for by the customer during checkout (processor fee), is a no-brainer.

I do not have an account at overstock. I never planned on having an account at overstock, nor did I plan on ever making a purchase on overstock. Yet, I am now a potential new customer thanks to the fact that they've added an option for Bitcoin payments.

You can argue that attracting bitcoiners is like tossing a pebble into the sea, but when there is no drawback in doing so, it only makes sense. You might consider how quickly the bitcoin user base is growing as well. These are long term plans.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:13:24 PM

Amagi Metals

Another company that I would have normally never considered, yet became a customer of simply because they began accepting Bitcoin payments.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
T.Stuart

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:13:37 PM

Oh ye of little faith!  Wink

It's simply a question of jumping in and supporting the initiative.

We're only at 10 Jan 2014 - not even one full business week out of the holidays. The business world is like a vast unexplored playground for Bitcoin - almost inconceivably large and diverse compared to where we are at this moment. The US government is giving its stamp of approval for Bitcoin to run out and play right now! With all the start ups kicking off and anyone who wants to jump in and start a Bitcoin business able to do so without the restrictions they would have to navigate if the software wasn't open-source, things are poised to go very viral...

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
pbody

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:19:02 PM

??
No one has made that claim.
It's initial sales data from right after they started accepting a niche new payment system with lots of fanboys. I think most people realize that $124,000 in 21 hours says little about long-term effect.
But Amagi Metals isn't complaining and they've been accepting for over a year IIRC. There isn't exactly a slew of companies CANCELLING their bitpay accounts so I think that says enough to satisfy your concerns ;-) No one's forcing them to do it so a reasonable assumption is that it remains profitable.

I made that claim and for some reason my post got deleted. ? ?

I basically said other retailers will jump on the bitcoin bandwagon seeing that overstock had a profit increase as a result of it. TERA was responding to my statement.

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:25:12 PM

It's 100k more than they had the day prior.

Even if it only generates 50k for the remaining months (Only figuring USA )

That's 700k

Good for them
Rdeschain

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:26:27 PM

Yeah but you have to admit it's a pretty nice way to kick things off.  Smiley

That said,  I do agree that solid annual numbers would be of more significance.
pbody

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:29:03 PM

Its an extra 124k in sales (on 1 day!) for little effort, little cost, and little risk. why not except btc?

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
Rdeschain

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:34:50 PM

Its an extra 124k in sales (on 1 day!) for little effort, little cost, and little risk. why not except btc?

You're preaching to the choir bud!  Smiley

I just hope Amazon is keeping a close eye on this. Probably safe to assume they are. But also probably safe to assume they're going to want a bigger sample size of data (as Tera is alluding to)before jumping in.
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:35:14 PM

I do not have an account at overstock. I never planned on having an account at overstock, nor did I plan on ever making a purchase on overstock. Yet, I am now a potential new customer thanks to the fact that they've added an option for Bitcoin payments.

Just FYI Holliday, I made a purchase there yesterday with no account. They have an option to check out as guest, so it's pretty easy for us bitcoiners.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:37:37 PM

Just FYI Holliday, I made a purchase there yesterday with no account. They have an option to check out as guest, so it's pretty easy for us bitcoiners.

Thanks for the info!

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:39:14 PM

I just can't get excited about this what with all the Chinese language sources confirming so much bad news.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:45:17 PM

Wow that's some serious money flow right there. I wonder what Overstocks average daily turnover is?

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:45:37 PM

Aren't you freaking out?

That is 124000 USD more worth of probable coldstored Bitcoins that are heading straight for cash out on exchange!

SELL SELL SELL!

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:48:36 PM

Aren't you freaking out?

That is 124000 USD more worth of probable coldstored Bitcoins that are heading straight for cash out on exchange!

SELL SELL SELL!

Indeed. Then bitcoiners who purchased items at overstock get a huge discount when they buy their bitcoins back at a lower rate. Wink

T.Stuart

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:57:02 PM

Well to get it up and running so quick apparently the CEO did have to lock 40 people in a room for 10 days - software engineers, graphic designers, a lawyer, an accountant, etc. - slipping them pizzas under the door (in his own words). But I happen to think it was well worth it!  Smiley

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: