Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:04:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $42,000 dollars to buy Bitcoin and Litecoin - Time to buy?  (Read 12472 times)
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:35:21 PM

The end of January will be a nervous time. It's possible the price will be lower around that time as manipulators will play on it.

People often advocate dollar cost averaging - buying a certain amount each week spread over a few weeks. This is a little stupid if the price is absolutely exploding, but it feels like a sensible thing to do at the moment.

i was gonna say the same thing, i expect end jan to be a nervous time

Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:14:59 PM

That is a lot of money, you might want to invest only like 20% on Bitcoin and Litecoin and put the rest in stock market...
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:26:59 PM

That is a lot of money, you might want to invest only like 20% on Bitcoin and Litecoin and put the rest in stock market...

There's no room in this thread for reasonable advice!

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
htspringer

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:43:08 PM

Hello everyone, in January 18 I will finalize the selling of an apartment here in Brazil which I will receive R$ 100,000, about $42,000 dollars, which I will invest half in litecoins and half in bitcoins

In recent days the bitcoin and litecoin increased, can we expect a new "crash" ?

What is the better time to buy bitcoins and litecoins??

Opinions are welcome, I do no what I do, buy now or wait  Huh
Thanks to all
Bitcoin and litecoin will be a good investment whenever you buy.  If you are waiting for the "right time" to get in... you are guessing.  Right now the price of bitcoin is ~$900.  It might fall to $800... then again it might never fall below $900 again.  I personally believe that bitcoin will reach around $6,000 by the end of this year.
htspringer

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:44:26 PM

IMO, the stock market is FAR MORE RISKY than cryptocurrency.  Right now, especially, is a TERRIBLE time to invest in stocks. 
htspringer

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:45:48 PM

Bitcoin gonna drop this month (january)? Do I need to wait to buy when It drop?  Probably gonna drop to Huh 500, 600 U$ Huh
What is the basis of your prediction?
htspringer

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:48:19 PM

i would wait and try to buy below 600 gox not sure about LTC. but i am in on both with leveraged short (not big)

i believe you can get in at much better price  (i can be wrong of course, in that case i would lose on my trade) Cheesy
I know a guy who sold all his bitcoins at $250 when the price was skyrocketing... and he called others fools for not selling.  Now he is very depressed.  No one can predict what bitcoin will do.  You need to look at things in the long term.  Right now is an excellent buy.
Simakki

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 03:55:54 PM

IMO, the stock market is FAR MORE RISKY than cryptocurrency.  Right now, especially, is a TERRIBLE time to invest in stocks. 

Cmoon... Guys be real..

Seriously, these advices sounds like something that kids in high school would told. Of course it would be very wise to use some kind of portfolio and put some money on Stocks, funds etc.

Check out Betsikingi
for betting tips and for https://betsikingi.info/vedonlyontibonukset-vedonlyontisivustot and Unibet TV for sports live streaming!
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:02:19 PM

Cmoon... Guys be real..

Seriously, these advices sounds like something that kids in high school would told. Of course it would be very wise to use some kind of portfolio and put some money on Stocks, funds etc.

No. Wise would be to research all available options and then bet on the best one. Maybe two. Diversification is a result of uncertainty.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
rafamadeira

Activity: 79

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:03:53 PM

Hello everyone, in January 18 I will finalize the selling of an apartment here in Brazil which I will receive R$ 100,000, about $42,000 dollars, which I will invest half in litecoins and half in bitcoins

In recent days the bitcoin and litecoin increased, can we expect a new "crash" ?

What is the better time to buy bitcoins and litecoins??

Opinions are welcome, I do no what I do, buy now or wait  Huh
Thanks to all

Amigo, acho que o melhor a se fazer é ir comprando aos poucos. Se você tem 100 mil para comprar em moedas, vá comprando 20% em um mês, 20% no outro, até investir o tanto que você quer. Assim, você evita que uma correção la na frente faça com que você esteja 'mal comprado', mas da mesma forma, caso o valor das moedas dispare, você terá que pagar mais para comprar a mesma quantidade no próximo mês.

É uma forma de fazer preço médio.. acho que neste caso, vale a pena devido a volatilidade e algumas incertezas em relação a moeda (como o risco de alguma pool ter mais de 51% e eventualmente realizar um ataque).

Insert Coins Here: 1GWz2R7NKVgtYg8yYQ7bbzDZWyRLXoitBN

Thank you Sir!
Sonny91BE

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:25:34 PM

Cmoon... Guys be real..

I agree. Diversify and never put all in 1kind of investment .. Stocks, bitcoin andere others that you think that are great speculations. But in my personal opinion :don't invest at all if you need advice fROM people on a forum ... Knowledge is the first step,then action ..
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:31:43 PM

I'm not going to say if now is a good or bad time to invest in the stock market now, but this statement is fairly ridiculous.  I totally believe in Bitcoin and have ~10% of my assets in them.  But Bitcoins could be zero-$10 in 3 years, they could be $5,000+.  The stock market will not be zero.  It's a lot safer investment, no two ways about it.  If it is zero, we don't have to worry about our Bitcoins because we'll have a lot of other presses concerns in the world.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:39:59 PM

It's very straightforward to label the stock market terribly risky if you paid $10 for your Bitcoins. If you're buying some now then that's a very different matter.
FractalUniverse

Activity: 1034
Merit: 558

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:43:54 PM

i would wait and try to buy below 600 gox not sure about LTC. but i am in on both with leveraged short (not big)

i believe you can get in at much better price  (i can be wrong of course, in that case i would lose on my trade) Cheesy
I know a guy who sold all his bitcoins at $250 when the price was skyrocketing... and he called others fools for not selling.  Now he is very depressed.  No one can predict what bitcoin will do.  You need to look at things in the long term.  Right now is an excellent buy.

well at least im not calling fool everyone who is not selling :p

as i wrote above, i am aware i can be wrong. but even if there are two market participants with completely different opinion, they still can both come out with profits
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:03:51 PM

I would buy now for 50% of the money, and keep the rest availlable on exchanges in case of a crash.  I always have buy and sell orders ready to make a bit more, using the 10 - 20 % weekly swing.  Dont put all in the same exchane.. spread the money on at least 3 differents exchange.. just in case.

Never forget, this investment can do 30 fold or loose 98% value overnight.

And never have regrets about your investment move.. otherwise, dont invest.

Happy trading
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:41:36 PM

Why the stock market ? i dunno why ppl keep quoting "invest in stock market" like it's a sure guaranteed secure return on investment. NO IT ISN'T!! I've seen more people lose money in the stock market than i saw ppl lose money on Bitcoin or even Gold.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:48:36 PM

I would buy now for 50% of the money, and keep the rest availlable on exchanges in case of a crash.  I always have buy and sell orders ready to make a bit more, using the 10 - 20 % weekly swing.  Dont put all in the same exchane.. spread the money on at least 3 differents exchange.. just in case.

Happy trading

I've seen too many exchanges run off with peoples bitcoin to put anywhere near 50% in them. 10% is more appropriate. You can make plenty of money trading with $4200.

I'm grumpy!!
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:02:15 PM

Happy trading

I've seen too many exchanges run off with peoples bitcoin to put anywhere near 50% in them. 10% is more appropriate. You can make plenty of money trading with $4200.

This is probably the best advice on this entire thread.  If and when you do invest, take the time to invest either through multiple exchanges or hold your coins in multiple wallets offline.  If online, I would hold some at BTC, Stamp, and -maybe- Gox.  In the US Coinbase also.  Then download MultiBit to have a wallet offline.  Be diversified not just in the coins, but also how they are held.
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:17:45 AM

...about $42,000 dollars, which I will invest half in litecoins and half in bitcoins...

It depends what you mean by 'invest'.  By the way you are writing it looks to me like you will be looking at your crypto holding in terms of a USD investment from which you would like a USD return further down the line.

If this is the case I personally would prefer you didn't invest more than you wouldn't mind much losing all (or almost all) of - e.g. 5% of your overall investment portfolio.  My reason for requesting this is not primarily for your benefit but for Bitcoin's stability's sake.  Because people who are buying hoping to sell for more (especially those overinvested) are those liable to get angry at Bitcoin for going down when they wanted it to go up and panic sell thereby exacerbating price drops.

I would rather you spent time (either beforehand or after 'investing' a small amount) getting to understand better the potential of Bitcoin (you could do a lot worse than to listen to this a good few times - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTPQKyAq-DM) and then only if you want to buy into the project and think of your holding as your stake in the future of crypto, something that one day you may have as your savings account when you are paid in Bitcoins and spend most of your daily expenditure in Bitcoins, to put in as much as you want to - but not to be looked at as a USD investment.

If it does so happen that the value re-commences its exponential rise and you see huge gains you may want to look at Risto's plan for taking some out but this is a very different approach to what you appear to be talking about and what most of the replies are referring to.

The fact of your having asked this question, and the way you ask it tells me you ought steer well away from day trading, and even further away from the advice of forum speculators!  The simple answer is nobody knows!  Whether you're going for a long-term low proportion of overall portfolio investment or a 'till singularity or death of Bitcoin' purchase the difference between buying at the lower end of current fluctuations and the higher as a proportion of its potential growth (or potential drop to near zero) is very little.  If you fancy hanging out for a little while with your money on an exchange to try and time your buy-in to get more why not?  But if you think in either context it makes very little difference you're more likely to think of it as a 'try and squeeze a little more out of my entry point' game and not lose any sleep over it whether you do it successfully or end up missing a price you won't see again in the foreseeable.

If you imagine after buying that the price drops by a third or something that this would have you upset or regretting your purchase then I would suggest you are investing too much.  If you're looking long term then it matters much less.

which I will invest half in litecoins and half in bitcoins
I am 100% Bitcoins because I believe the risk involved in alts are immensely higher due to what I see as the almost insurmountable network-effect lead Bitcoins has.  And if you're looking at long term I suspect the alt coin scenario will change rapidly with most of those around today long history.  I would not put more than 10 - 20% into alts and if I were to I might put 60% of that in Litecoin as a hedge (because something could break with Bitcoin) and 40% in another.

All the best with it all Smiley
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 12:38:39 PM

50:50 is a good idea. If you have bitcoin, you must have litecoin too. Its the silver of the cryptoworld!

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: