Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:37:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HD6870 maximum hash/s  (Read 17732 times)
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 05:53:48 AM

Hmm, I was under the impression that a 6870 could do much more than ~240 mhash/s. If I'm correct, a 5870 will do somewhere in the neighborhood of 300m.

The 5XXX series are very good at number crunching. And some people think that Nvidia has low numbers because it is not optimised for Nvidia, kinda like how Folding @ home works better with Nvidia, but the truth is that Nvidia sucks at number crunching

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
edric

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 08:09:33 AM

Hmm, I was under the impression that a 6870 could do much more than ~240 mhash/s. If I'm correct, a 5870 will do somewhere in the neighborhood of 300m.

The 5XXX series are very good at number crunching. And some people think that Nvidia has low numbers because it is not optimised for Nvidia, kinda like how Folding @ home works better with Nvidia, but the truth is that Nvidia sucks at number crunching

And some people think that Nvidia has low numbers because it is not optimised for Nvidia

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that, but you are indeed right in the point you make at Nvidia sucking at crunching numbers. I'm running a brand new MSI GTX 560, OC to 1003 core, and I'm getting ~100 mhash, lol.

Maybe if enough people from a certain place I will not mention get a clue as to how ATI cards are making great headway into the bitcoin project, possibly there would be less "hurr no drivers" arguments. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my housefires and flaming 1.7 wood screws. I made my bed and I'll sleep soundly enough in it.

nster

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 01:42:12 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that, but you are indeed right in the point you make at Nvidia sucking at crunching numbers. I'm running a brand new MSI GTX 560, OC to 1003 core, and I'm getting ~100 mhash, lol.

Maybe if enough people from a certain place I will not mention get a clue as to how ATI cards are making great headway into the bitcoin project, possibly there would be less "hurr no drivers" arguments. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my housefires and flaming 1.7 wood screws. I made my bed and I'll sleep soundly enough in it.

Told one of my friends about bitcoin, and the sheer difference between ATI and Nvidia and the main thing they market their products with.
ATI: Eyeinfinity, Number crunching, OC, Hardware OC modifications, Cheaper
Nvidia: Nvidia 3D, Stabler , "Quality", Better drivers, More OC with hacked drivers

Tried to convience him to buy ATI and start number crunching. He said, no.

Your comparision is flawed.

ATI has 3D too, ATI is not always cheaper, Nvidida is DEFINITIVELY not stabler nor does it has ANY nor more "quality" than ATI at all, "better drivers" is not truie anymore, ATI's drivers are very good now, ATi has unlocked shaders etc with hacked BIOS for 6950 which completely beats the ":More OC with hacked drivers" you give Nvidia, Nvidia actually Overclocks better than ATI

actually your comparison is VERY flawed Wink

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
nster

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 02:27:52 PM

actually your comparison is VERY flawed
Well f**k it then   Cheesy

It's OK, 99% of all people do similar assumptions :p it isn't your fault the "rumors" are completely false Cheesy

Beremat

Activity: 263

YGOLD is a Defi platform

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 08:31:57 PM

~370mhash here on an overclocked XFX 5870 Cheesy

jakakxl

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 08:57:44 PM

Told one of my friends about bitcoin, and the sheer difference between ATI and Nvidia and the main thing they market their products with.
Nvidia: Nvidia 3D, Stabler , "Quality", Better drivers, More OC with hacked drivers

ATI has 3D too, ATI is not always cheaper, Nvidida is DEFINITIVELY not stabler nor does it has ANY nor more "quality" than ATI at all, "better drivers" is not truie anymore, ATI's drivers are very good now, ATi has unlocked shaders etc with hacked BIOS for 6950 which completely beats the ":More OC with hacked drivers" you give Nvidia, Nvidia actually Overclocks better than ATI

- ATI is not always cheaper
What? In terms of price/performance, it is. Unless you twist it and say "LOL THE 6970 IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE 460" (lol). The 5970 doesn't count as it is not manufactured anymore.

- ATI's drivers are very good now
SC2 cursor problem.

-  ATi has unlocked shaders etc with hacked BIOS for 6950 which completely beats the ":More OC with hacked drivers" you give Nvidia
What? You're comparing apples to oranges here...

nster

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 10:11:54 PM

What? In terms of price/performance, it is. Unless you twist it and say "LOL THE 6970 IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE 460" (lol). The 5970 doesn't count as it is not manufactured anymore.

SC2 cursor problem.

-  ATi has unlocked shaders etc with hacked BIOS for 6950 which completely beats the ":More OC with hacked drivers" you give Nvidia

1. ATI is not always cheaper... notable are the GTX 460 and GTX 560. Pretty cheap and beat ATI price/performance a lot of times. We are talking about gaming here not crunching. Reme,ber before the 6XXX came out? How the GTX 460 as a better buy especially in SLI?

2. If you are talking about the frozen mouse thing, all you gotta do is set windows font size to default.Else idk what the problem is as I don't have any problems with starcraft II

3. Well then how about the BIOS editor for ATI that can also help for the OCing... one way or another, these don't make much of a difference and shouldn't change your mind on either going NV or ATI

jakakxl

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2011, 11:40:06 PM

SC2 cursor problem.

-  ATi has unlocked shaders etc with hacked BIOS for 6950 which completely beats the ":More OC with hacked drivers" you give Nvidia

1. ATI is not always cheaper... notable are the GTX 460 and GTX 560. Pretty cheap and beat ATI price/performance a lot of times. We are talking about gaming here not crunching. Reme,ber before the 6XXX came out? How the GTX 460 as a better buy especially in SLI?

2. If you are talking about the frozen mouse thing, all you gotta do is set windows font size to default.Else idk what the problem is as I don't have any problems with starcraft II

3. Well then how about the BIOS editor for ATI that can also help for the OCing... one way or another, these don't make much of a difference and shouldn't change your mind on either going NV or ATI

1. GTX 460: Yes, that's another exception. But remember, it was a mid-end card. GTX 560: see 6950. Overall, ATi still holds the "cheaper" world view.

2. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=972&bih=1595&q=corrupted+starcraft+ati&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

3. Huh I don't quite understand what you're saying here.
edric

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 09:07:28 AM

SC2 cursor problem.

I agree in part where you said his comparison was flawed. Nvidia cards are no more stabler than any other card I've seen. The top end cards from both manufacturers are indeed great performing products. In most experiences I've had with ATI cards I have had extremely frustrating driver issues, but for the last year I haven't ran an ATI card enough to actually keep up with how their driver releases are maturing. The point I slightly disagree on is the 3d. While it's true ATI cards are now supporting stereoscopic 3d, from dealings I've had with some friends, it's a terribly frustrating experience trying to get it working properly. Although, it's no lie that Nvidia's 3D vision technology is a bit wonky at this stage as well. I'd really like to see ATI get it together with the 3D tech, as the 3D vision capabilities of Nvidia's hardware and software was the main selling point of my latest purchases (wife wanted home theater 3d projector setup, scraped it all up for about $1k). Otherwise I just might have jumped ship back to an ATI card this year. I may yet actually try and pick up a 5970 for my alt mining rig, for fun.

You're right about ATI not always being cheaper. Nvidia had to get a corner on the "poor man" market as well and we get the 460-560. Damned excellent cards and the bang for buck really holds up against comparably priced and slightly more expensive ATI cards. I guess it really depends on preference, but I am slightly bummed out that my 560 can't be put to better use bitcoining, when I'm not watching Avatar 3D over and over again with my wife Smiley

nster

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 01:33:25 PM

at 1045 core clock 300 mem I get 282Mhash/s (used MSI Afterburner)

How's your temperatures on those clocks? Did you change voltage?

No voltage change and around 68~69 at 59% fan speed, my case not only has good ventilation but I leave the side open

dishwara (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 10:18:28 PM

I have to say reducing mem clk actually reduces temp.

I was running at 1038 core clk & 1050 mem clk, 100% fan & getting 265Mhash/s with temp 74-75C
Now running at 1038 core clk & 325 mem clk, 100% fan & getting 267-269 Mhash/s with temp 65-66C.

Reduction in 10C is unexpected by me, but a 2-3Mhash/s increase , i am not sure.
nster

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 10:23:00 PM

I have to say reducing mem clk actually reduces temp.

I was running at 1038 core clk & 1050 mem clk, 100% fan & getting 265Mhash/s with temp 74-75C
Now running at 1038 core clk & 325 mem clk, 100% fan & getting 267-269 Mhash/s with temp 65-66C.

Reduction in 10C is unexpected by me, but a 2-3Mhash/s increase , i am not sure.

For all those interested, http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4292.0

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 04:38:17 PM

Is your CPU idle? My CPU decreases in clock speed to save energy, but if I run a CPU miner on low priority with a single thread and poclbm, I get ~8Mhash/s more from poclbm. I'm currently running 930 GPU/830 mem and on my 6870 and get ~234Mhash/s with -v -f 60 -w 128.

That's is BS, don't do the low priority thing...

I get 232Mhash/s at 900 core clock...

at 1000 core clock 300 mem I got 263Mhash/s

I use -v -w 128 -f 0 or -v -w 128 -f 10 when using computer for simple stuff ie: web browsing and word. -f 30 for videos and mild games, and -f 60 to -f 120 for games

It is bullshit Trust this guy

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 04:53:43 PM

I've noticed someone threw a penny on the railroad tracks, sooo before this train gets derailed......

5970's get 600-1100Mh/sec, No im not j/kin you

Would it be safe to start messing with the clocks on my factory overclocked XFX 6870?
(using MSI afterburner 2.1)

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
dishwara (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 05:31:18 PM

If u can have temp under control then it is safe.
To me temp under control means around 70C-80C.
You can get more Mhash/s by tweaking clocks & MSI afterburner does it elegantly.
You said getting 600-1100Mhash/s, u sure?
you WILL get 1000+ Mhash/s from a 5970 card but only for some seconds or minutes before the system crashes.
I got 4400Khash/s from 9400GT a minute & system crash, normally i got 3500Khash/s from my 9400GT even after OC(i was not that adventures that time to go any extent)

In my HD6870, i get 285 Mhash/s at 1048 core clk, but system automatically freezes after 20-30 minutes of mining, when i dont work on system. It happened me 2-3 times, then i reduced clk to 1038 & getting 273 Mhash/s.

So, how much time you get 600+ is important & also whether actually it mines?
Coz, it can show 1100 Mhash/s, but in reality it will be mining zero. Coz it had happened to me once which i thought getting coins, while its zero.
connect to pool & check whether you get coins?
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 07:17:59 PM

There's no way to get 1100 MHash from a single 5970. It's just two 5870 GPUs, and my 5870 gets 360 MHash at 950 MHz. To get 1100 MHash you'd need to run both cores at more than 1400 MHz.
nster

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 07:47:45 PM

on stock a 5970 gets 5XX Mh/s, OCed it might get in the 7XX range, but 700Mh/s with a 5970 is already GREAT

Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 07:01:54 PM

There's no way to get 1100 MHash from a single 5970. It's just two 5870 GPUs, and my 5870 gets 360 MHash at 950 MHz. To get 1100 MHash you'd need to run both cores at more than 1400 MHz.
Yeah your correct and I am wrong, Sozzy all!

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: