Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:46:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [cgminer help] Not detecting all my GPUs  (Read 15693 times)
SlapHappy (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 04:53:46 PM

I'm a newbie so I can only post here.  Could someone please cross post a reference to this help request in the cgminer thread?  Thanks.

cgminer thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0

I'm using cgminer on a Windows 7 x64 system and so far so good.  I started out with two NVIDA cards, a 260 and a 460, and cgminer would recognize and use both card with no problem.  I recently pulled out the 260 and installed two HD 5770s.  I now have 1x460 + 2x5770 installed in my system.

After adding the new card cgminer no longer detects the 460 card, just the two 5770s.  Is this a bug in cgminer or do I need to do something to get it to recognize the 460 card?

Thanks in advance.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SlapHappy (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 06:32:55 PM

I'm beginning to suspect the issue is the different OpenCL implementations between AMD and nVidia,  I suspect either my operating system or cgminer can only use one OpenCL implementation at a time so it's only able to use one brand of GPU at a time.  Anyone know if this is true or not?
TeaL

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 07:42:53 PM

Not to be a dick, but it's only really worth mining with the ATI cards. Additionally, you should be able to point a different instance of CG miner (or any other miner) at a specific GPU.
PLaci1982

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Live long and prosper. \\//,

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 07:52:32 PM

Not to be a dick, but it's only really worth mining with the ATI cards. Additionally, you should be able to point a different instance of CG miner (or any other miner) at a specific GPU.
Your wrong, usually you need 1 instance of CGMiner.

Hardware Expert / WinXP, Win7 Expert

1J5oPkyGVdb4mv44KGZQYsHS2ch6e1t4rc
TeaL

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 08:01:49 PM

Your wrong, usually you need 1 instance of CGMiner.

I know, I was providing an alternate method to use all of his GPUs, even if a single instance of CG miner cannot detect all of them. He should be able to see if the 460 is detected by running poclbm.py with no additional parameters. If it was still failing to see all of them and he was using Linux I'd try setting export DISPLAY=:0
SlapHappy (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 09:29:07 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I understand the AMD cards are going to perform much better than the nVidia card - that's what I added them  Wink.  But since the 460 is already in my system I'd like to put it to use anyway.

I tried using both the poclbm and phatk kernels but cgminer still only sees the two AMD cards.  Even if I just tell cgminer to list the cards and exit it only reports two cards:

C:\BitCoin\cgminer-1.6.2-win32>cgminer -ndevs
2 GPU devices detected

Any other suggestions for how I might get cgminer to use my 460 card are appreciated.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 07:43:15 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I understand the AMD cards are going to perform much better than the nVidia card - that's what I added them  Wink.  But since the 460 is already in my system I'd like to put it to use anyway.

I tried using both the poclbm and phatk kernels but cgminer still only sees the two AMD cards.  Even if I just tell cgminer to list the cards and exit it only reports two cards:

C:\BitCoin\cgminer-1.6.2-win32>cgminer -ndevs
2 GPU devices detected

Any other suggestions for how I might get cgminer to use my 460 card are appreciated.
What happens if you run cgminer with the 2x5770s working normally and then run in another window a 2nd "cgminer -ndevs" after the first is running?

Just a guess, but that's basically what TeaL was saying and I'm wondering if it can't get at the 2x5770s if it will then see the 460?
(no idea just a suggestion to try)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
PLaci1982

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Live long and prosper. \\//,

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 08:04:34 AM

Oh, how could I have forget this? If the nVidia driver detects a non-nVidia driver, it does disable some functions, like PhysX, maybe it's disabling OpenCL to! To resolve that problem, you should visit this site:

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-04ff.html

Hardware Expert / WinXP, Win7 Expert

1J5oPkyGVdb4mv44KGZQYsHS2ch6e1t4rc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: