Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:35:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CatCoin Forking 3rd time - Block 20999  (Read 687 times)
kalus (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:57:08 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2014, 07:32:22 PM by kalus

Note:  I am not Dev.

disclaimer:  I own some catcoin.  CAT:BTC @ .00030260 (cryptsy)

CatCoin's third Fork is live right now:  pools with 0% fee are available for early fork miners!
[/size]

http://kittyco.in/p2pool/

New Catbox (testing) catcoin release

https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin
https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin/downloads/catcoin-0.8.8.tar.gz

Caturday, Jan 11: Silly_Sheeple release:

difficulty adjustment every block, based on last 36 block.
Increase COINBASE_MATURITY.
Play with the coinhoppers before eating them

------------

This is my catbox release of Catcoin, that has been relicensed under the AGPLv3, and includes p2pool (tested) as well as counterpartd(not tested) in the same build tree.

this version DOES A HARDFORK at block 20999 to adjust the difficulty every block, based on the last 36 block average. While this will not fix all the issues with coinhoppers, it's very much like a cat playing with an insect (in our case, a coinhopper) before eating it.

And since Cats are not herd animals, I'm going my own damn way and releasing, and it will either be a good test with the hash I bring, or some of you cats might decide to come along and join the p2pool(s) (kittyco.in/p2pool) in search of tasty coinhoppers.

Expect another release and hardfork next Caturday. Cats are agile animals, and this is Agile cryptocoin development. If you want a tested coin, go back to bitcoin, or finance my fiat expenses so I can test this properly on the -testnet.

Could you please clarify your release plans at a newb level?  Are you planning your own personal fork in the 'real world' or are you still testing this?

Additionally - anyone have any idea who keeps killing our difficulty transitions?  This is the first coin I've watched and without a real clue it certainly looks like we're routinely under attack.

I've tested it as much as I really can without a working -testnet.

It's live, see http://kittyco.in/p2pool , and it's up to you all to vote with your hashes on which side of the fork at block 20999 you want.

And yes, I suppose you could say 'under attack', but it's really just a product of rational profit-seeking behavior, which is an easily programmable fix. The first step is get everyone used to hardforks every Caturday until we get more user-friendly behavior.

note i am not dev.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kalus (OP)

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:32:00 PM

This is just stupid.First fork didnt save the coin,second is just poking a dead cat with a stick Smiley

Is this some new trend? Forking all shitcoins until they became decent ones?

Im glad i got rid of my cats at the right time.Get rid of yours while you get something out of it.
Great, you got rid of your coins. You have no further interest in this thread. Congratulations. Now shut the fuck up and let us try to fix this, you're not adding anything to this discussion.
Is there some sort of collective amnesia taking place? You do realise Catcoin nearly died at the last fork, right?
This is such a bad idea. Let the network decide. If you start talking to the exchanges, they're just going to delist it and be done with it.
Yeah it nearly died because some idiot sent an mass email with only one pool on it  and it (the pool) got 51% as a result. We also caught and corrected that before it was a disaster. THe last fork was FLAWLESS except for that. THe exchanges were all prepped before the fork. Saying we have collective amnesia about it is an outright lie.

Also, I'm still not sure if people are having reading comprehension issues or what, but let me stress this again.

HOZER'S FORK IS NOT VALID OR THE WILL OF THE COMMUNITY RIGHT NOW. HE IS OFFERING AN ALTERNATIVE. FROM HIS POSITION IF THE MAJORITY OF THE NETWORK JOIN HIS FORK, THEN THE COMMUNITY DECIDED. PLEASE STOP ACTING LIKE HOZER IS THE DEV OF THIS COIN AND REPRESENTS EVERYBODY. HE DOESN'T.

I'm not sure how else to get this point across. The board isn't ramming anything anywhere, we want a consensus on what to do next to correct the serious oscillations we're seeing in diff. we've had some good ideas and we're still in the simulate/data collection process. Waiting for more ideas and possible solutions.

Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:34:55 PM

This isn't an official fork.

Someone wants to fork the coin. He's welcome to, but it doesn't have the support of the community.

This is the worst kind of FUD.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
kalus (OP)

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:54:05 PM

regardless of whether you think it is FUD or not,

1. there is an active fork for catcoin in the wild right now, listed in the OP, and has been announced in the catcoin thread without regard to the catcoin community.

2. As discussed in the previous posts, one single user is promoting the fork.  The fork continues to be actively debated in the catcoin thread.

3. the low network hashrate of catcoin may make this coin vulnerable to 51% attack.  this has been actively discussed in the catcoin thread.  

These issues concern prospective catcoin investors, and will affect the decisions of miners where to point their rigs.  

disclaimer:  I own some catcoin.  CAT:BTC @ .00028513 (cryptsy)

hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 11:07:20 PM

regardless of whether you think it is FUD or not,

1. there is an active fork for catcoin in the wild right now, listed in the OP, and has been announced in the catcoin thread without regard to the catcoin community.

2. As discussed in the previous posts, one single user is promoting the fork.  The fork continues to be actively debated in the catcoin thread.

3. the low network hashrate of catcoin may make this coin vulnerable to 51% attack.  this has been actively discussed in the catcoin thread.  

These issues concern prospective catcoin investors, and will affect the decisions of miners where to point their rigs.  

disclaimer:  I own some catcoin.  CAT:BTC @ .00028513 (cryptsy)

How do you know this fork is 'in the wild'?

Can you identify which catcoind version strings, or IP addresses of nodes running this code?

If you are 'not a dev', then you should either:
a) become one, download the code, and help test it, and understand how checkpoints work, which mitigate the risk of a 51% attack
or
b) provide some hashrate, particularly to one of the p2pools, during high difficulty periods to prevent a 51% attack.
c) wait, and hold
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: