Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 01:26:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 [365] 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - Scrypt meow!  (Read 470654 times)
Minerz

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:05:29 PM

This is just stupid.First fork didnt save the coin,second is just poking a dead cat with a stick Smiley

Is this some new trend? Forking all shitcoins until they became decent ones?

Im glad i got rid of my cats at the right time.Get rid of yours while you get something out of it.
skillface

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:06:48 PM

Is the latest http://kittyco.in/p2pool update any better?

That works I guess.
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:08:11 PM

This is just stupid.First fork didnt save the coin,second is just poking a dead cat with a stick Smiley

Im glad i got rid of my cats at the right time.Get rid of yours while you get something out of it.

This is one of the most active coin threads on the forum. There's a reason for that.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 07:11:38 PM

Before anyone thinks 'fork' they might want to read this:
https://forum.feathercoin.com/index.php/topic,2178.0.html

Can we resist this type of complex 51%-with-hax-fest?

Can someone please contact cryptsy and tell them to increase confirmations to a minimum of 12, and maybe up to 40 until there is a new consensus released code that results in an overnight/high difficulty period hash rate of at least 200 Mhash?

The FTC attacker would love to remain anonymous, and might have already been probing CAT to do exactly the same thing.

Now this is only my personal opinion, but I think we have two effective defenses:

1) lots more hash that sticks around
2) transparency (i.e., get people to publish 'well-known' generation addresses)

I also appreciate that some of you might want to remain anonymous, and I'd have to advise you to use **OTHER** cryptocurrencies if anonymous transactions are important for you. CAT is currently not big enough to pay the costs (in hash rate) needed to defend BOTH the integrity of the block chain, and your privacy. One of them will have to give.

stop doing drugs mate. Cryptographic Anonymous Transactions coin isn't going to fork because you're smoking a bad batch.

This coin does not even have a working -testnet. What gives you any sort of idea it's anonymous, in any way? Do you have an implementation of https://github.com/Zerocoin/libzerocoin that I can review the code for and tell you all the ways in which it will leak information like a sieve until there is sufficient hashrate and non-anonymous transactions to cover your tracks?
Minerz

Activity: 120

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:11:55 PM

This is one of the most active coin threads on the forum. There's a reason for that.

So is coinye and its dead soon as it gets into exchance.Well good luck to you.Cat was good for me.Made 0.1btc at day worth of mining.
Nullu

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:13:22 PM

So is coinye and its dead soon as it gets into exchance.Well good luck to you.Cat was good for me.Made 0.1btc at day worth of mining.

Coinye is a pump and dump coin. Like Dimecoin. Catcoin has 0 premine, and has been on the exchanges for a couple of weeks. I admit it's a rocky road, but other coins have been through worse and soared, so I'm sticking with Catcoin.

Maverickthenoob

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 07:22:43 PM

Great, you got rid of your coins. You have no further interest in this thread. Congratulations. Now shut the fuck up and let us try to fix this, you're not adding anything to this discussion.

Is there some sort of collective amnesia taking place? You do realise Catcoin nearly died at the last fork, right?

This is such a bad idea. Let the network decide. If you start talking to the exchanges, they're just going to delist it and be done with it.

Yeah it nearly died because some idiot sent an mass email with only one pool on it  and it (the pool) got 51% as a result. We also caught and corrected that before it was a disaster. THe last fork was FLAWLESS except for that. THe exchanges were all prepped before the fork. Saying we have collective amnesia about it is an outright lie.

Also, I'm still not sure if people are having reading comprehension issues or what, but let me stress this again.

HOZER'S FORK IS NOT VALID OR THE WILL OF THE COMMUNITY RIGHT NOW. HE IS OFFERING AN ALTERNATIVE. FROM HIS POSITION IF THE MAJORITY OF THE NETWORK JOIN HIS FORK, THEN THE COMMUNITY DECIDED. PLEASE STOP ACTING LIKE HOZER IS THE DEV OF THIS COIN AND REPRESENTS EVERYBODY. HE DOESN'T.

I'm not sure how else to get this point across. The board isn't ramming anything anywhere, we want a consensus on what to do next to correct the serious oscillations we're seeing in diff. we've had some good ideas and we're still in the simulate/data collection process. Waiting for more ideas and possible solutions.

Board of Directors - Catcoin
Personal: CAT: 9pndWw3qmPiWm2jQRw5pRAVEfJN4LzaD1f  BTC: 1Jo1394CraTgC8bKFzDdEMdks2DroB6VBe
CAT Dev Donation CAT: 9gZpz58KzYr1WKBN8DfPkZPAEt5wfZ4UKT BTC: 1MeRkKfRRfC86BQWEx5gsq68bDHe7dgs3o
skillface

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:24:11 PM

Well I er.. 'voted'. Or I'm 'voting'.

I think.

Hmm.
Nullu

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:27:33 PM

Nearly flawless..almost died..I can't really reconcile these two points of view. I would say it was far from flawless. Every fork is a massive risk for a coin, not just from the point if view of the event itself, but for confidence in the currency.

hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 07:36:27 PM

Well I er.. 'voted'. Or I'm 'voting'.

I think.

Hmm.

Thank you, this is much appreciated.

So what does everyone think about 'vote by hash on p2pool' as a way to demonstrate what the community consensus is?

It will do two things: Let us all see who's serious, and contributes hash to shares, even when it's not profitable, AND increase the overall hashing power of the fundamentally distributed p2pool. I can live with that, and pull the fork if we don't get coinhopped into oblivion again by the time block 20999 rolls around.

So, COINHOPPERS: IF YOU WANT CATCOIN TO FORK, and risk your precious coins, by all means, hash the difficulty into the stratosphere.

If you want a predictable rational mining profit STAY AWAY FROM CATCOIN until the community has a consensus on the a better difficulty adjustment.
Nullu

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:36:43 PM

Yep, well done on announcing another fork.

You know what FUD is, right? A coinkiller. That's what that announcement is. FUD.

You're more than welcome to fork the coin, but honestly, you'd be better off calling it Mogcoin and going your seperate ways.

Maverickthenoob

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 07:45:26 PM

Nearly flawless..almost died..I can't really reconcile these two points of view. I would say it was far from flawless. Every fork is a massive risk for a coin, not just from the point if view of the event itself, but for confidence in the currency.

I'm not sure what else you really expected. Hozer seems to think we can fork this every week. I completely disagree, but I do think another fork is necessary to try and correct the difficulty oscillations that are present. In terms of the last fork, it was way way less fucked up than it could have been. I agree all forks are a huge risk, but to be honest with you, if we didn't do it, this coin would be dead right now. Dead. So I say that the coin being alive right now is a testament to the fact that we have a strong community and that it wasn't a total failure.

DO you not agree that there is an issue we need to fix if this coin is to survive? We're bleeding hash rate because the diff is too unreliable.

Personal: CAT: 9pndWw3qmPiWm2jQRw5pRAVEfJN4LzaD1f  BTC: 1Jo1394CraTgC8bKFzDdEMdks2DroB6VBe
CAT Dev Donation CAT: 9gZpz58KzYr1WKBN8DfPkZPAEt5wfZ4UKT BTC: 1MeRkKfRRfC86BQWEx5gsq68bDHe7dgs3o
loader140

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:46:26 PM

Yep, well done on announcing another fork.

You know what FUD is, right? A coinkiller. That's what that announcement is. FUD.

You're more than welcome to fork the coin, but honestly, you'd be better off calling it Mogcoin and going your seperate ways.

+1 NAME IT SOMETHING ELSE, PLEASE, if you care for this coin you WILL.

Look what happened to NYANCOIN NYAN and NYANCOIN NYN, they were launched on the same day at the same time (one scam one not) but that F&@KED over the genuine NYANCOIN NYAN coin and it is virtually dead, so if you don't rename it this coin will die as it will be too confusing for people to follow what one is right and what not, exchanges will get PISSED OFF with fork here and there they will delist the coin, which again will be the end of it, SO you are either someone who wants to this coin good or harm, RENAME=GOOD              JUST FORK=HARM/KILL the coin

EDIT-Sorry forgot one thing, or to help this coin without renaming it is FORK it but after the community AGREES not whenever individuals like, PLEASE think of the CATS we only have 6 or 7 lives left
Nullu

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:53:45 PM

Just rename the coin on the fork and launch it as a new coin.

Honestly. At least then we have two viable coins. As it stands we'll either end up with one viable coin, or none.

kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:04:10 PM

if someone intends to fork the coin weekly, do it on another coin that is not being actively traded.

If catcoin is forked unilaterally in this fashion, even if it is unofficial, Hozer et al. are essentially rolling the dice with the real-world money everyone has invested in catcoin.  

I came back and mined catcoin after the first fork to boost the hashrate. But how can we convince people that catcoin is where they should be mining, and where they should hold their money when the community is fractious, and a small, vocal minority can fork the currency at any time?  with such a small hash rate, catcoin is vulnerable to 51% attack. 

This is far more damaging than anything an auto-switching pool could do the currency. I don't know if all of us signed up to be part of Hozer's experiment, let alone be paying for his own curiosity-driven research.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
Nullu

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:06:41 PM

if someone intends to fork the coin weekly, do it on another coin that is not being actively traded.

If catcoin is forked unilaterally in this fashion, even if it is unofficial, Hozer et al. are essentially rolling the dice with the real-world money everyone has invested in catcoin.  

How can we convince people that catcoin is where they should be mining, and where they should hold their money when the community is fractious, and a small, vocal minority can fork the currency at any time?

I don't know if all of us signed up to be part of Hozer's experiment, let alone be paying for his own curiosity-driven research.  However, here we are.  

He is entirely doing his own thing, which happens a lot in this thread. It's not helping Catcoin one iota. Consensus, not division is needed.

Maverickthenoob

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 08:10:02 PM

How can we convince people that catcoin is where they should be mining, and where they should hold their money when the community is fractious, and a small, vocal minority can fork the currency at any time?

I don't know if all of us signed up to be part of Hozer's experiment, let alone be paying for his own curiosity-driven research.  However, here we are. 

He is entirely doing his own thing, which happens a lot in this thread. It's not helping Catcoin one iota. Consensus, not division is needed.

I don't know if all of us signed up to be part of Hozer's experiment, let alone be paying for his own curiosity-driven research.  However, here we are.  

FUCKING THIS.

Guys, I'm not sure if you can tell my stress level or not by how I write, but I'm so close to just saying "fuck it", you have no idea. I'm trying to help bring this community together, it's not seeming to do one single bit of good because we've spent all afternoon arguing about hozer. When you guys are ready to start dealing with the real issues with this coin, let me know. This is stressing me out too much right now.

kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:12:35 PM

Guys, I'm not sure if you can tell my stress level or not by how I write, but I'm so close to just saying "fuck it", you have no idea. I'm trying to help bring this community together, it's not seeming to do one single bit of good because we've spent all afternoon arguing about hozer. When you guys are ready to start dealing with the real issues with this coin, let me know.

I was optimistic about the conversations we were having before.  there's no need to rush into anything right now.  i think we can be successful if we don't jump into anything.  we just see slightly different issues with the coin.

the currency is at far more risk from pump-and-dump speculators than mining pools.

I notice the people heavily in favour of the fork are investors more than miners.  if someone goes to the trouble of building and running a mining farm they'd have a different view on changing things like block rewards, block timing, and difficulty, and what that means for the coin.  

I think the miners of the coin should sit down and offer a second, sober thought to the fork-happy speculators.  in some ways people are forking the coin just to shake up the value and to create some trade activity.  this is unsustainable.  

on the mining side, we don't need a few large, mercenary mining farms:  we need a baseline of hundreds, or thousands of 100-200khash users who mine catcoin casually.  this is where the stability in the network hashrate will come from.  

Confidence in catcoin will not come from obstinately, unilaterally forking the coin.  and just because anybody can fork the coin, doesn't mean that we should.  

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
rentarocker

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:15:56 PM

Cry

Sorry guys...I'm out…until the political issues with CAT are resolved.  There are some great ideas being presented in this forum…but there is also too much drama with talk of a second fork (and a second coin?!!).  I've lost too much on CAT already.  I just can't hold any longer.

For now I'm moving on and buying Grain (GRN) with my CAT BTC.  I'll continue monitoring this forum though and will consider buying back into CAT when things get resolved.  Plenty of talent here…not enough collaboration.

As I've lost a fair amount of BTC on CAT, I feel I have the right to say that IMHO the biggest problem with CAT has been the overemphasis on technical issues rather than on promotion and marketing.  You guys had a winner here.  What happened to the stupid memes and other appeals to the general public?  Those things were the ticket to success.  

Who knows…with adequate PR, a first fork would have never been necessary.

Good luck and I hope to have reason to buy back in soon.

BTC:  17Z1au1T1f8B4XhFQXeuibKbRmWow6FyvP
LTC:  Lf7QWUDC57WnRf5gEcutdHwrXvYRoqaQYU
kisa2005

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:24:56 PM

Guys, I'm not sure if you can tell my stress level or not by how I write, but I'm so close to just saying "fuck it", you have no idea. I'm trying to help bring this community together, it's not seeming to do one single bit of good because we've spent all afternoon arguing about hozer. When you guys are ready to start dealing with the real issues with this coin, let me know.

I was optimistic about the conversations we were having before.  there's no need to rush into anything right now.  i think we can be successful if we don't jump into anything.  we just see slightly different issues with the coin.

the currency is at far more risk from pump-and-dump speculators than mining pools.

I notice the people heavily in favour of the fork are investors more than miners.  if someone goes to the trouble of building and running a mining farm they'd have a different view on changing things like block rewards, block timing, and difficulty, and what that means for the coin.  

I think the miners of the coin should sit down and offer a second, sober thought to the fork-happy speculators.  in some ways people are forking the coin just to shake up the value and to create some trade activity.  this is unsustainable.  

on the mining side, we don't need a few large, mercenary mining farms:  we need a baseline of hundreds, or thousands of 100-200khash users who mine catcoin casually.  this is where the stability in the network hashrate will come from.  

Confidence in catcoin will not come from obstinately, unilaterally forking the coin.  and just because anybody can fork the coin, doesn't mean that we should.  

+1

Pages: « 1 ... 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 [365] 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  

Jump to: