Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:33:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I wish I could rent a time machine.  (Read 5107 times)
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:41:47 PM

I doubt he even had any coins to begin with. That whole story smelt fishy to me.

Were you reading the story near a fish market by any chance?

Yeah I suppose that anybody could come up with that cock and bull story for the media attention. Did you see the forum post (don't think that it was here) supposedly by the person who supposedly threw away this supposed hard drive, he was trying to raise funds to find the hard drive.

IIRC it was something along the lines of:

Give me 1 BTC and you will get 25 BTC back in return when I find the hard drive.

ScamCity or what haha.

Nope  lol. Was it by the guy who claimed to have lost them or someone impersonating him to try cash in on idiots? I'm guessing the latter.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 09:45:23 PM

Time is not linear, we only live in the present. 

Of course time is linear - it only moves in one direction.

I'd love to hear scientific reasoning (even one born out of insanity) of how you think time could move backwards.

Humans invented time by measuring how many times a certain atom vibrates in a certain amount of time.  Vibrates back and forth.  If you were to reverse time, the atom would still vibrate the same way - back and forth- and be indistinguishable from it's forward motion.  In other words, we measure time going forward (so many vibrations) regardless the way the flow of time travels.  So we can never move backwards in time.  Ever.

Dreams are imagination dank, they are not real.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:53:06 PM

Humans invented time by measuring how many times a certain atom vibrates in a certain amount of time.

Yo dawg, I herd you like time.

I'm guessing that the usages of time refer to two different notions? It's all starting to get a little Inception to me.

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:58:22 PM

Time is not linear, we only live in the present. 

Of course time is linear - it only moves in one direction.

I'd love to hear scientific reasoning (even one born out of insanity) of how you think time could move backwards.

Humans invented time by measuring how many times a certain atom vibrates in a certain amount of time.  Vibrates back and forth.  If you were to reverse time, the atom would still vibrate the same way - back and forth- and be indistinguishable from it's forward motion.  In other words, we measure time going forward (so many vibrations) regardless the way the flow of time travels.  So we can never move backwards in time.  Ever.

Time does not move.  Time does not exist.  We perceive it to exist because we measure changes in revolutions around our sun or another cyclic pattern.  Time is a measurement of change, we can perceive it's presence, but it is not a thing.  Like you said, humans invented time as a way of perception.

So time cannot move backwards, for it cannot move forwards either.  You can only exist in the present moment.  Though this does not mean you can not visit a dimension exactly the same as the past.

If you perceive it, it is real, otherwise, how did you perceive it?

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 10:06:04 PM

You can only exist in the present moment.

So we are arguing the same thing - time travel is not possible.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:13:54 PM

You can only exist in the present moment.

So we are arguing the same thing - time travel is not possible.

Lol, time travel isn't possible. Sure it's theoretically possible, but not actually possible.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:16:31 PM

No, you are misinterpreting my words.  You can only exist in the present moment though you can manifest anything in that moment.  Thoughts, dreams, or even reality can shift completely to a moment in the past.

We live in an infinite universe with infinite dimensions.  Everything that has ever happened and everything that will happen is all happening right now, everywhere.  It's up to you to tune your mind to experience these other dimensions.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
PurpleTentacle

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:18:34 PM

Well, time to (re)post my favorite time travel comic:

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 11:24:40 PM

Why rent, when you could pre-order.

“Working with a mature design team has been a key advantage. We've been able to leverage our team's decades of experience to quickly explore and evaluate multiple options, and deliver at record speed. Another critical advantage was the choice of UniquifyTime and Dr. Who for design and manufacturing. Both are at the top of their fields, have worked together on multiple projects, and are true innovators.”
_Crash_

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:37:13 PM

There was a documentary I was watching about this scientist who mathematically proved that his time machine would work. The only flaw with it is that if we turned it on now, we could only send stuff back to when it was turned on (as a maximum limit) , which is good enough I guess, because you could probably send future mining tech back in time. But then that'll alter that dimension and yeah...

Simple terms, get a delorean, and fill it up using Mr Fusion.

MiningSpace.net - MULTI-COIN / MULTI-POOL :: Miners Paid TX Fees! :: Europe :: Most Profitable Pool! :: Gigabit Connectivity :: 0% Fee!
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 12:47:34 AM

Humans invented time by measuring how many times a certain atom vibrates in a certain amount of time.

I'm guessing that the usages of time refer to two different notions? It's all starting to get a little Inception to me.

D'oh.  I posted the bold part in a hurry - obviously it is a circular reference.

"Humans invented time by taking a number of vibrations from a certain atom and calling that one second." would have been a better thing to say.   Wink

MGK-

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:24:13 AM

"WHAT DO WE WANT!!"

"A TIME MACHINE!!"

"WHEN DO WE WANT IT?"

"DOESN'T REALLY MATTER..."
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:25:43 AM

Travel back to 2011, buy £1500 in BTC and exchange it back in modern day.

Millionaire!

I'd go back to 2009 and mine for a week with my 4 Block Erupters. Cheesy
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 01:32:18 AM

Chances are the creator would have noticed the >50% usage on one node, realized it was a flawed concept, and discontinued development.   Undecided

The fact that it grew slowly, under the radar, is paramount to why it succeeded. 

Cryptopher
Legendary

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:39:56 AM

I doubt he even had any coins to begin with. That whole story smelt fishy to me.

Were you reading the story near a fish market by any chance?

Yeah I suppose that anybody could come up with that cock and bull story for the media attention. Did you see the forum post (don't think that it was here) supposedly by the person who supposedly threw away this supposed hard drive, he was trying to raise funds to find the hard drive.

IIRC it was something along the lines of:

Give me 1 BTC and you will get 25 BTC back in return when I find the hard drive.

ScamCity or what haha.

Nope  lol. Was it by the guy who claimed to have lost them or someone impersonating him to try cash in on idiots? I'm guessing the latter.

I believe it to be the latter, but either way the premise of the offer seems utterly ridiculous. He essentially planned on giving it all away upon finding it. I would be highly surprised if anybody took him up on the offer, but then again, there are more than enough idiots around to take the bait.

Cryptopher
Legendary

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:41:34 AM

D'oh.  I posted the bold part in a hurry - obviously it is a circular reference.

"Humans invented time by taking a number of vibrations from a certain atom and calling that one second." would have been a better thing to say.   Wink

Haha yeah, that makes much more sense Tongue I do enjoy a good circular reference; hoop, ring, roundabout being among my favourites Wink

Haidang1796

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:43:48 AM

well if I were able to rent it, I'll never return it and I can be anything I want Grin

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:49:01 AM

Causality loops are inherently unstable. It might be possible to reach a self-sustaining state, but odds are it will eventually come to rest into a state where time-travel never happened, because that is the stablest of them all.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:49:59 AM

Chances are the creator would have noticed the >50% usage on one node, realized it was a flawed concept, and discontinued development.   Undecided

The fact that it grew slowly, under the radar, is paramount to why it succeeded. 

You may be right. Satoshi was after all concerned about Wikileaks accepting Bitcoin.

Oh well, I could still have earned a ton of money in 2011. There were miners with 5 GH/s rigs back then. 1.3 GH/s wouldn't have been too out of place back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xow5oO_MtE4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nDTBN_cPs0
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:05:25 AM

Causality loops are inherently unstable. It might be possible to reach a self-sustaining state, but odds are it will eventually come to rest into a state where time-travel never happened, because that is the stablest of them all.

Now that i'm thinking a bit more about it, it's pretty much indistinguishable from traveling into the past of a parallel reality; except that your presence there pretty much guarantee's that your double will never do that time travel.

The only time travel that won't screw with paradoxes (other than going to the future), is to travel faster than light; that way you can look back from the destination and see you leaving at the origin, but your arrival is still in the future of the origin.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: