Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 04:35:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 8x RX470 GPU Mining Rig - Looking For Paid Support  (Read 258 times)
RigMaster (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 10:04:00 AM

Hi Guys

I've searched every corner of the internet to find solutions to my problems and before switching to Windows reluctantly, I wanted to know if anyone out there who has good experience with linux, would be willing to assist me in making my rig stable please? - I will of course pay for your time.

My Setup
8x PowerColor RX470 4GB GPUs (SAMSUNG) bios modded with Polaris Bios Editor 2.2 (one-click) which applies 1900mhz to mem and modify timing straps.
I'm using SimpleMining OS (smOS)

The Problem
The rig will run but draws 1280w from the wall!! And then randomly a gpu will hang (mostly it's either gpu6 or gpu7). Then the miner will restart, until the next time a random gpu hangs. Sometimes during the miner restart... it will hang where it says:

ETH: 1 pool is specified
Main Ethereum pool is eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999

It will hang there for maybe 20-30 mins and then it will reboot or I will have to do so manually.

I can get the GPU's to hash at around 27mhs and the rig might then run for 4-5 hours but if I try to push it any harder it will crash a lot more frequently. Right now I pushed them to 2000mhz and getting 29Mhs and the rig is restarting every 4-5 mins with invalid shares.

What I Want?
I want a stable and efficient rig get 29/30Mhs as I've seen others achieve. I heard it's possible to get a good hashrate and undervolt the rig to run @ 1000w, I would like to achieve that.

Can anyone help?
RBICoin

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 11:22:03 AM

Good day, but what you do not like the Windows?
As far as I know the operating system does not affect the speed of the cards.
You need them to properly disperse and flash, the network has a lot of information about this.
But the main thing do not forget to keep the original BIOS firmware.
RigMaster (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 11:28:26 AM

You need them to properly disperse and flash, the network has a lot of information about this.

I understand from all comments online that Windows is not so stable like Linux.
I like smOS because I can login to smOS from anywhere and see all my rigs in a nice simple dashboard but the reboots all the time are annoying and not good for profits.

I have saved original BIOS Smiley
androstan1234

Activity: 251
Merit: 6

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 02:39:47 PM

I would use windows for initial setup at least.  Only modify straps, don't modify anything else in bios.  Run miner.  Use overdrive or afterburner to increase memory clock until you either get memory errors in hwinfo or the hash rate stops increasing, then lower the mclock a bit.  Lower cclock until hashrate decreases.  Last, lower core voltage as much as possible while maintaining stability, then increase it a little.  Sometimes modifying the core voltage automatically modifies the memory voltage too.  If not, then lower memory voltage as low as you can while maintaining stability (check for 0 memory errors), then increase it a little.

Once you've determined the proper settings, you can use them in linux by either programming them into the bios, or setting them in the claymore command line.  There may be other ways, I don't mine eth on linux.

If you don't lower the voltage, your rig will draw way too much power.  Properly undervolted, an 8x rx470 rig shouldn't require more than 900W if mining only eth.

You may not be able to push them to 30 mhs without custom straps, although 29 is usually doable.  But you need to accept whatever hashrate you get that is stable, even if it is 28-29.  Not all cards tune right up to 30 without custom straps.  And even ones that do, they may not be stable, and it will probably cost you more in the long-run to push your cards to their absolute limits.

In general, people who are relatively new and don't entirely know what they're doing expect way too much and push their cards too hard.  If you don't really know what you're doing, and instead are just following guides/instructions online, you should play it safe and be conservative.  Under those circumstances, 230 mhs at 900W, and stable for weeks or even months, should be doable.
deskless

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 03:01:17 PM

Hi Guys

I've searched every corner of the internet to find solutions to my problems and before switching to Windows reluctantly, I wanted to know if anyone out there who has good experience with linux, would be willing to assist me in making my rig stable please? - I will of course pay for your time.

My Setup
8x PowerColor RX470 4GB GPUs (SAMSUNG) bios modded with Polaris Bios Editor 2.2 (one-click) which applies 1900mhz to mem and modify timing straps.
I'm using SimpleMining OS (smOS)

The Problem
The rig will run but draws 1280w from the wall!! And then randomly a gpu will hang (mostly it's either gpu6 or gpu7). Then the miner will restart, until the next time a random gpu hangs. Sometimes during the miner restart... it will hang where it says:

ETH: 1 pool is specified
Main Ethereum pool is eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999

It will hang there for maybe 20-30 mins and then it will reboot or I will have to do so manually.

I can get the GPU's to hash at around 27mhs and the rig might then run for 4-5 hours but if I try to push it any harder it will crash a lot more frequently. Right now I pushed them to 2000mhz and getting 29Mhs and the rig is restarting every 4-5 mins with invalid shares.

What I Want?
I want a stable and efficient rig get 29/30Mhs as I've seen others achieve. I heard it's possible to get a good hashrate and undervolt the rig to run @ 1000w, I would like to achieve that.

Can anyone help?

I use PowerColor 580 on EthOs.
The thing with powercolor (both red devils and golden triangle) gpus is that they draw 30% more power than other rx 580/480 gpus. I tried to sell them last month but did some power tweak on EthOs and now I find they are the best cards. They still take 20% more power than other but they are more stable and almost silent. do the 1180/950 setup and try. I have one rig with 3 of them running where I sleep. They are on for last 10 days without any issue and silent.
RigMaster (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 04:11:07 PM

I would use windows for initial setup at least.  Only modify straps, don't modify anything else in bios.  Run miner.  Use overdrive or afterburner to increase memory clock until you either get memory errors in hwinfo or the hash rate stops increasing, then lower the mclock a bit.  Lower cclock until hashrate decreases.  Last, lower core voltage as much as possible while maintaining stability, then increase it a little.  Sometimes modifying the core voltage automatically modifies the memory voltage too.  If not, then lower memory voltage as low as you can while maintaining stability (check for 0 memory errors), then increase it a little.

Once you've determined the proper settings, you can use them in linux by either programming them into the bios, or setting them in the claymore command line.  There may be other ways, I don't mine eth on linux.

If you don't lower the voltage, your rig will draw way too much power.  Properly undervolted, an 8x rx470 rig shouldn't require more than 900W if mining only eth.

You may not be able to push them to 30 mhs without custom straps, although 29 is usually doable.  But you need to accept whatever hashrate you get that is stable, even if it is 28-29.  Not all cards tune right up to 30 without custom straps.  And even ones that do, they may not be stable, and it will probably cost you more in the long-run to push your cards to their absolute limits.

In general, people who are relatively new and don't entirely know what they're doing expect way too much and push their cards too hard.  If you don't really know what you're doing, and instead are just following guides/instructions online, you should play it safe and be conservative.  Under those circumstances, 230 mhs at 900W, and stable for weeks or even months, should be doable.

Thank you so much - even 230Mhs @ 900w stable for 7 days would do me! lol... I tried oc'ing exactly how you said it but I was trying in linux and i know from past experience it's easier in Afterburner so i might just do that..
I'm going to install Windows 10 on another SSD tonight, then run After Burner and find the best settings for my cards and get it modded in the bios.

You mentioned custom straps - is that not the same as just copying timings from 1 location to all the others... like mine right now at from 1500 all the way down. Or do you mean someone can actually customise a strap specifically for a card? I would pay for a custom strap if i knew where to find a reliable source and what kind of benefits would be involved to determine whether it's viable.

Again, thanks for the advice... I will give it a go tonight.
androstan1234

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 07:08:41 PM

When I say custom straps, I mean straps that someone has encoded for a particular card, not a simple copy/paste.  I think ohgodagirl does custom straps for $$$.
RigMaster (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 09:13:11 AM

When I say custom straps, I mean straps that someone has encoded for a particular card, not a simple copy/paste.  I think ohgodagirl does custom straps for $$$.

Thank you - I've just sent her a message.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 10:12:20 AM

Basically it's normal for them to crash from time to time. It depends how frequent however.

I would just lower your memory clock to like 1900Mhz and it will hash at 27.5 but it will be stable at least. Not all GPUs can hash at 29Mhs.

For your power consumption you should undervolt each GPU by 100mV and it should still be stable and consume much less power and be much more cooler.
aundroid
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1247

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 11:22:04 AM

I understand from all comments online that Windows is not so stable like Linux.
I like smOS because I can login to smOS from anywhere and see all my rigs in a nice simple dashboard but the reboots all the time are annoying and not good for profits.

I have saved original BIOS Smiley

On Windows you can use TeamViewer to login from anywhere.

Everything is really easy to configure.

My Windows Rig runs stable since months.

►►►     MY TOPICS     ◄◄◄
➤ Blockchain Basics - FAQ DE    ➤ [Guide] Protect your Crypto: Security tips for your home computer & network DE | EN    ➤ Crypto SCAM - HowTo protect yourself EN    ➤ [CHECKLISTE] zur Bewertung von ICOs  DE
➤ [Overview] Exchanges, IEOs and their ROIs DE | EN   ➤ [Howto] Use Ledger Nano as Security Key DE | EN    ➤ [OVERVIEW] Recommended Crypto Telegram Bots  DE | EN    ➤ [Overview] GUI Miner DE | EN
➤ Activity, Merit und Ranganforderungen im Forum DE    ➤ Alternativen zu Piggy's Notification Bot DE    ➤ [Howto] Give Bitcoin as a gift  DE | EN
bambam99

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 11:57:51 AM

If you are mining with claymore try

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool eu1.ethermine.org:4444 -ewal 0x9f43fb74088da66c59adf5870f3dd7d690024b5b.rig -epsw x -tstop 85 -tt 65 -fanmin 65 -fanmax 100 -cclock 1130 -mclock 1950 -cvddc 850 -mvddc 875 -mport 0

it's better to have 26 Mhs if the rig is stable and running 24/7 than to have 29 Mhs and the rig crashes every few hours

RigMaster (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 12:29:00 PM

Basically it's normal for them to crash from time to time. It depends how frequent however.

I would just lower your memory clock to like 1900Mhz and it will hash at 27.5 but it will be stable at least. Not all GPUs can hash at 29Mhs.

For your power consumption you should undervolt each GPU by 100mV and it should still be stable and consume much less power and be much more cooler.

Thanks - but undervolt not possible in Linux. Unless I add it via Bios I think.
androstan1234

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 07:05:32 PM

How's it going?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: