Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 03:58:48 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Margin trading & BTC - Good or bad?  (Read 669 times)
fluxlite

Activity: 34

ignoring the idiots since 2009

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 10:29:46 AM

Leveraged financial products have long been used by brokers in order to offer traders massive exposure to markets for a relatively small percentage of the total position.

I'm sure many of us have noticed the 'Margin trading (coming soon)' on Mt Gox, and I wonder what the community thinks to trading BTC on margin.

• Will Mt Gox be able to implement such a product with the price of BTC fluctuating as it is?
  • Will (or should) margin accounts be different to normal trading accounts and will margin traders have to have more vetting & maintain higher collateral?
  • Will margin trading destabilise the market even more? Is there enough depth? Will leverage ultimately decrease market depth?
  • Day trading BTC might become more attractive, but do the advantages of trading BTC outweigh the advantages of, say, trading forex with SBs and CFDs?

Having read through a lot of it, I recommend you take almost all of what you read on this forum in jest.
1f1uxxowT4ec5dNaS9gKyALDZW21mwJN2
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sekioh

Activity: 163

FirstBits: 1sekioh

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 11:28:47 AM

Well obviously giving someone 2,10,20 times their account value is asking for trouble, the very first few will be able to swing the price easily. BUT after a few hours there will be other buyers that will put up a larger wall of these offers/bids on margin, so it should stabilize quickly and then what you have is a larger volume wall, that should in effect provide liquidity a bit better without such large swings.

But eh, we will see. It just means people will make-or-break faster and harder instead of slowly dying off from price changes before they can sell out.
wndrbr3d

Activity: 295

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 02:22:50 PM

Margin trading wouldn't be good for the exchanges because of two reasons:

1 - Market is easily manipulated. Someone could buy several deep in the money calls, sell a large number of Bitcoins ride the down slide and then exorcize the option. Netting them a hearty profit when the market eventually recovers.

2 - Exchanges would need to implement the same safeguards as every other brokerage house when granting people margin credit and option level 1+ trading. Otherwise, how would the exchange collect if someone got themselves into a call situation?

The big benefit for Bitcoin is that there's a sense of anonymity with it. For the most part, the exchanges follow this belief by not doing direct ACH transactions or collecting any personal information beyond name/email.

Now, don't get me wrong. For Bitcoin to be taken seriously by the trading community at large, exchanges will eventually have to mature to that point. I just don't think the current small Bitcoin community is ready.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 1988

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 02:58:45 AM

I'm sure many of us have noticed the 'Margin trading (coming soon)' on Mt Gox, and I wonder what the community thinks to trading BTC on margin.

Margin trading was to be a feature already possible at HelloBitcoin.com though being based out of the U.S. (they claim, though I've seen no proof of this) they are required to impose a minimum balance restriction of $2K USD.  Their order book is pretty thin yet though so even with a margined account you couldn't do much activity.  But it is possible today, apparently.

- http://www.hellobitcoin.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.