Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:14:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would World War instantly destroy Bitcoin?  (Read 4975 times)
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 10:21:45 AM

Right now bigger problem is if there going to be another cold war. Everyone know what would be the output of open war and everyone prefer to avoid it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:11:58 PM

The entire internet will never go down. The main threat is segmentation of the internet and thus the block chain into competing chains.

The solution is to HAM or shortwave radio the data between segments, and the miners slow down the block period as necessary to accommodate the slower relaying time.

The coin needs a better (more efficient) design than Bitcoin on the way miners aggregate and relay data.

This can probably all be solved once we get serious development back into a coin. Bitcoin development has become rigor mortis.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:16:35 PM

The coin needs a better (more efficient) design than Bitcoin on the way miners aggregate and relay data.

Although, broadcast (as e.g. radio) is a marvelously efficient way to distribute the data.  Satellite seems like a no-brainer.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
AnonyMint

Merit: 521

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:51:25 PM

Although, broadcast (as e.g. radio) is a marvelously efficient way to distribute the data.  Satellite seems like a no-brainer.

Good idea.

I also thought of another I think better solution so that block periods don't need to slowdown to the least common denominator of relaying delays. We provide a protocol for coins to be spent from a chain to another chain, i.e. the coin retires in the source chain and is born in the destination.

So then multiple chains can spawn and operate in different segments of the internet as necessary in a decentralized free market.

There are some caveats and details which I thought about but won't enumerate at the moment.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 03:15:00 PM

Quote from: AnonyMint link=topic=413236.msg6139673#msg6139673
The coin needs a better (more efficient ) design

If bitcoin wants to survive world war, the infrastructure has to be in place now. World war today would certainly destroy bitcoin, a decentralized blockchain will never respond quick enough in chaotic world crisis. Because we can sit here and discuss ways that it could survive is far from it actually doing  so.

I agree that bitcoin dev seems stuck in mud, could be our undoing on many levels.

I am starting to think conspiracy when it comes to bitcoin languishing, something doesn't seem right.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
lxssthxnzxrx

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:42:09 AM

"War is to the 21st century what oil was to the 20th; the pillar that supports the global economy."

- Colonel Roy Campbell, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:43:29 AM

Yes it will destroy the BTC.
g4c

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 04:53:01 AM

A full world war, if it cascaded into a global nuclear exchange would be bad for the network.

EMP weapons detonated high in the atmosphere could certainly stifle Bitcoins growth phase.

But kill it with 100% certainty? I'm not sure, provided the blockchain survived somewhere, preferably in multiple places, then bitcoin survives with a possibility of restarting the blockchain after the idiots stop fighting.

I suppose before EMP problems blockchain forks might be forced by national firewalls, they would certainly kill the "oneness" of Bitcoin if they did fork and continue to run.

CORTEX7 Multi exchange Bitcoin trading client for Win, Mac, Nix, Android.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 06:01:12 AM

A full world war, if it cascaded into a global nuclear exchange would be bad for the network.

EMP weapons detonated high in the atmosphere could certainly stifle Bitcoins growth phase.

But kill it with 100% certainty? I'm not sure, provided the blockchain survived somewhere, preferably in multiple places, then bitcoin survives with a possibility of restarting the blockchain after the idiots stop fighting.

There could be no one to restart the blockchain after the fighting is over... Cool

redwhite037

Activity: 560
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:46:25 AM

bitcoin would still be alive because people would still want to buy pot on the darkweb
kalashnikovski

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 03:44:47 PM

Depends on the effect a world war would have on the internet, if it can still run properly I believe bitcoin prices would skyrocket. People will be exchanging firearms and what not with bitcoin, in times of desperation and crisis people make the most money.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 03:47:45 PM

Depends on the effect a world war would have on the internet, if it can still run properly I believe bitcoin prices would skyrocket. People will be exchanging firearms and what not with bitcoin, in times of desperation and crisis people make the most money.

Lol, now we don't have anything like a world war but bitcoin is falling head to the ground... Grin

DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:34:17 PM

Lol, now we don't have anything like a world war but bitcoin is falling head to the ground... Grin

Haha, Maybe the thread should be "Does Bitcoin need World War to survive?" Maybe the answer is yes, but only a small one please.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:41:08 PM

Another World War would destroy everything. Well, maybe not roaches, I heard they might be able to survive a nuclear winter.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 05:42:22 PM

Another World War would destroy everything. Well, maybe not roaches, I heard they might be able to survive a nuclear winter.

And take over the world (get ready)... Cheesy

bitsmichel

Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 10:45:10 PM

Your paper wallets will be fine  Tongue

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 12:12:00 AM

Your paper wallets will be fine  Tongue

Well, they shouldn't actually be made of paper or anything combustible. Do you know that roaches eat paper? Grin

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:19:55 AM

The real question is....will humans survive a 3rd world war? It only takes 1 group to launch a nuke to spark a chain of nuke launches and the end of the world as we know it.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 04:59:54 PM

Yeah cause im sure the US will activate the kill switch,  then I dont see how we can do any bitcoin transaction after that happens.  I think is time to make new kind of interenet one where is controlled by the people PWW.bitcoin.com  Peoples Wide Web.  !!!

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
jparsley

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 07:43:54 PM

Im sure bitcoin will survive

please unban me.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All