Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:40:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Litecoin  (Read 589 times)
joseph.al (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Sorry for my noobness...

Can anyone explain what is Litecoin and how it works? It seems some lightweight client for Bitecoin Huh Because I saw people saying they mine Litecoin. I installed Bitecoin on my PC but it is taking too many hours to work. Maybe this Litecoin is faster?

Thanks!
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:55:17 AM

Litecoin is an altcoin with a few minor changes to Bitcoin.
You will need to wait for for the whole blockchain to download with both coins. This can take a few hours.
The difficulty to mine on both coins is now hard as the difficulty has risen.

jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:56:11 AM

Litecoin is a crypto currency that differs from Bitcoin, it is easy to mine as it is not ASIC friendly and you can mine it with a GPU although difficulty is increasing all the time.

Some people say that Litecoin is the silver to Bitcoin's gold.

Also note it is Bitcoin, no 'e' in there  Smiley
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3239

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:57:22 AM

Litecoin is payment system derived from the Bitcoin system with some small differences. It is not nearly as well-known as Bitcoin and is about 1/20 of its size.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
joseph.al (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:06:08 AM

Thank you, guys. Didn't know there was more than Bitcoin, too much for my head!

Then it seems this Litecoin isn't Lite at all Grin
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:08:40 AM

What is Bitecoin???
Litecoin has nothing to do with bitcoin. Nothing.

Litecoin.org

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:12:41 AM

Sorry for my noobness...

Can anyone explain what is Litecoin and how it works? It seems some lightweight client for Bitecoin Huh Because I saw people saying they mine Litecoin. I installed Bitecoin on my PC but it is taking too many hours to work. Maybe this Litecoin is faster?

Thanks!

There are over 100 cryptocurrencies and rising

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=67.0

all with different types of algorithms to solve transaction blocks and improved code as the developers say.

check them out

use an exchange to get a wallet and then there is no need to download the whole blockchain (e.g. cryptsy.com)

I am not affiliated with cryptsy

all currency comes in different forms e.g. dollar, cents, euro, pound, cheque, credit, crypto currency

Bitcoin was just the start

Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: