Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 11:16:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: People who cashed out and got rich?  (Read 4320 times)
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:14:03 AM

I consider myself a mid-adopter.  Very early on, and probably in my buying phase, I planned to cash out at 10x if we got that far to get back my initial speculative outlay.  Then lose about 1/2 of my BTC at 100x.  I'm in the process of doing the latter, but getting at my deep storage wallets is deliberately time consuming and laborious.  Plus, I've got all the fiat I want and need for the immediate future and I'm getting a bit greedy and hoping for further increases over the course of the year.

As for my remaining stash, I've not thought about it in detail like the earlier targets.  It'll be a matter of watching the evolutionary twists and turns that Bitcoin makes, watching what happens in alt-cc-land, seeing what other hobbies and interests I might develop which would benefit by cash-flow, etc.

Buy yes, I intend to die with a relatively small number of BTC under my control.  I did my duty of mopping up excess liquidity back when that was a problem and I plan to continue my obligation of releasing the BTC back into the economy as and if they become increasingly dear.  I've never been so handsomely rewarded for doing so little Smiley

I don't think I can ever reach 100x (some people already have if they bought for 10$ or mined). I heard about bitcoin when the price was ~100$ so my chances are very low, whatever, I'm happy anyway.  Cool

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:34:23 AM

I consider myself a mid-adopter.  Very early on, and probably in my buying phase, I planned to cash out at 10x if we got that far to get back my initial speculative outlay.  Then lose about 1/2 of my BTC at 100x.  I'm in the process of doing the latter, but getting at my deep storage wallets is deliberately time consuming and laborious.  Plus, I've got all the fiat I want and need for the immediate future and I'm getting a bit greedy and hoping for further increases over the course of the year.

As for my remaining stash, I've not thought about it in detail like the earlier targets.  It'll be a matter of watching the evolutionary twists and turns that Bitcoin makes, watching what happens in alt-cc-land, seeing what other hobbies and interests I might develop which would benefit by cash-flow, etc.

Buy yes, I intend to die with a relatively small number of BTC under my control.  I did my duty of mopping up excess liquidity back when that was a problem and I plan to continue my obligation of releasing the BTC back into the economy as and if they become increasingly dear.  I've never been so handsomely rewarded for doing so little Smiley

I don't think I can ever reach 100x (some people already have if they bought for 10$ or mined). I heard about bitcoin when the price was ~100$ so my chances are very low, whatever, I'm happy anyway.  Cool

What did you buy in at? If Bitcoin became fully mainstream adopted you might have a chance.
patricktim

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:36:29 AM

some of my friends did cashout when it reach $1000.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

some of my friends did cashout when it reach $1000.

Are they going to buy back in or are they out now? I guess selling at $1000 maybe was a wise choice, but not if they quadruple in value sometime this year and tenfold in the near future.
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:51:48 AM

I don't think I can ever reach 100x (some people already have if they bought for 10$ or mined). I heard about bitcoin when the price was ~100$ so my chances are very low, whatever, I'm happy anyway.  Cool

So you don't think BTC can ever reach $10,000?

Under construction.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1304

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:00:21 AM

People scoffed at dollar parity. At going from $1 to $10. Then 10 to 100. Then 100 to 1000.

With wide adoption for currency, store of value, colored coins etc, who knows the upper bound.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:09:05 AM

I don't think I can ever reach 100x (some people already have if they bought for 10$ or mined). I heard about bitcoin when the price was ~100$ so my chances are very low, whatever, I'm happy anyway.  Cool

If Bitcoin even goes semi-mainstream that number will be much much larger.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:35:42 AM

Yes, but will it? There are older people who find it difficult to use, there are countries where just a small % of the population have internet access and let's not forget about stubborn countries that will surely ban it.
I'm sure we will reach the recent peak again and go beyond it, but somehow 10k seems so distant and improbable.

You were asking when I bought in. At around $100, but I bought USB miners at that time and should've just bought BTC and waited. Unfortunately when the price reached 600$ I sold most of my stash because the rally resembled the one in April. As it kept rising I bought back at $600 and $700 and kept them through the whole December rise and fall.

Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:44:12 AM

Yes, but will it? There are older people who find it difficult to use, there are countries where just a small % of the population have internet access and let's not forget about stubborn countries that will surely ban it.
I'm sure we will reach the recent peak again and go beyond it, but somehow 10k seems so distant and improbable.

You were asking when I bought in. At around $100, but I bought USB miners at that time and should've just bought BTC and waited. Unfortunately when the price reached 600$ I sold most of my stash because the rally resembled the one in April. As it kept rising I bought back at $600 and $700 and kept them through the whole December rise and fall.

I was about to reply to your "low chances", then saw your new post - I think you are really underestimating what price BTC needs in order to just remotely go mainstream.

Many (but by far not all) people have heared about BTC now, but that doesn't mean they are invested. I think from hearing about it to making an investment it takes some time for that new thought to develope, so the investing could follow this year.

Anyways, just talking in terms of market cap, a very, very rough and estimated calculation: At $1000, it got 0,1% of the fiat market cap. At $10 000, it has 1%. At $100 000 it got 10% of the fiat market cap.

Your chances of going x100 are very high, and you even got (small) chances of going x1000, IMO.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:07:46 PM

Not to be crass, but the older people will die off before this becomes fully mainstream. We could see full adoption within our lifetime. I'm sure older people took time to get used to new technology such a debit cards and mobile phones anyway, so I wouldn't discredit them.

You don't need constant internet access. Just a phone. Bitcoin is better than banks as a lot of the times people in developing nations don't have access or cant get an account,
Dr Bloggood

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:20:50 PM

Not to be crass, but the older people will die off before this becomes fully mainstream. We could see full adoption within our lifetime. I'm sure older people took time to get used to new technology such a debit cards and mobile phones anyway, so I wouldn't discredit them.

You don't need constant internet access. Just a phone. Bitcoin is better than banks as a lot of the times people in developing nations don't have access or cant get an account,

I strongly disagree on your timeline there.

This shit moves way too fast for "older people to die off"!
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:57:06 PM

So do you think Bitcoin will become fully mainstream with 10-20 years? I mean, everyone using it?
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:57:34 PM

One thing is certain: in order for a technology to become mainstream, it needs to be foolproof! We need to start from the assumption that the general public is lazy and adopts a new tech only if it's quick to learn and easy to use.

Under construction.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:04:23 PM

One thing is certain: in order for a technology to become mainstream, it needs to be foolproof! We need to start from the assumption that the general public is lazy and adopts a new tech only if it's quick to learn and easy to use.

We don't need to assume that because it's a fact. Bitcoin will become easier to use very soon. Probably just as easy as using a credit card or topping up your phone.
Dr Bloggood

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:07:00 PM

So do you think Bitcoin will become fully mainstream with 10-20 years? I mean, everyone using it?

I think it will either die or reach most of it's maximum market cap (say, 90%) within the next couple of years.

I suppose it won't replace national currencies.

Even when you look at the day-to-day market action, BTC goes within days through cycles for which stocks or other assets need a year (expansion-contraction, etc..).
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:08:27 PM

Computers "back in the day" were terribly hard to use, yet they went mainstream no problem.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:13:36 PM

Computers "back in the day" were terribly hard to use, yet they went mainstream no problem.

This happens with all new technology. Just remember how awkward getting used to a new gadget or phone is at first.
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:29:53 PM

They started to become mainstream when GUIs were introduced. It just confirms what I said: a products needs to be foolproof to gain public attention.

Under construction.
Stapleddiet

Activity: 89
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:40:37 PM

Woo Hoo here's cheers, I could be very rich now if I played right but I am more comfortable than ever for a few years and some folk got some cheap coins.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: