Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:14:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit for Legendaries and Mods  (Read 440 times)
comander (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 02:39:49 PM

I have noticed that a lot of merit is given to people with legendary accounts or people are just willing to give merit to higher rank accounts than others. But why do people give merit for Legendaries ? The main purpose for merit should  not be just to reward users for quality post but also to let them rank-up, but if you give it to legendary account it became just a waste. Why you can't just reply them and thank for some quality post ? A lot of people are even giving merit for moderators because of their good work. But why ? They don't need it. Isn't it better  just  to say them that you have appreciated their work/post or something like that. Of course Legendaries can give it to some other ranks but still half of merit will be wasted. Maybe forum should restrict the ability to give merit for legendary accounts. What do you think?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The Sceptical Chymist
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 6796

Cashback 15%

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 03:01:02 PM
Merited by suchmoon (5), Foxpup (1), mprep (1)

I have noticed that a lot of merit is given to people with legendary accounts or people are just willing to give merit to higher rank accounts than others. But why do people give merit for Legendaries ? The main purpose for merit should  not be just to reward users for quality post but also to let them rank-up, but if you give it to legendary account it became just a waste. Why you can't just reply them and thank for some quality post ? A lot of people are even giving merit for moderators because of their good work. But why ? They don't need it. Isn't it better  just  to say them that you have appreciated their work/post or something like that. Of course Legendaries can give it to some other ranks but still half of merit will be wasted. Maybe forum should restrict the ability to give merit for legendary accounts. What do you think?
And save merit for who, exactly?  Newbies?  Jr. Members?  I'd have to do more reading than I did in college just to find one of those members to give out a merit to who's truly deserving of it.  No thank you. 

I do, in fact, try to merit lower-ranked members, as I've mentioned before and as you can see from my merit history.  I agree that they "need" it more than higher-ranked members, but from my experience it's the Heros and Legendaries who make the best posts--hands down, no contest. 

I think giving merits to Theymos or Satoshi or a member who's inactive is a bit of a waste, but people can do whatever they want with their sMerits, as long as they're not selling them or doing something against the rules.  There's no need to complain about this, since it smacks of juvenile jealousy.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 03:28:32 PM
Merited by Foxpup (1), mprep (1)

The main purpose for merit should not be just to reward users for quality post but also to let them rank-up

No. If we start handing out merits based on who needs it for ranking up then it's not much better than activity score. If Legendary members happen to post quality content more often than newbies then Legendaries are going to get more merits. One exception would be if you have one sMerit and you see two equally good posts then by all means, send it to the one you think needs it most.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 05:34:47 PM

You guys just don't get it do you. Activity is the thing that you need to rank up. Merit is a blocking tool, and not a ranking tool. Merit is designed to allow the community to encourage a poster to continue with his contributions. It ensures that members who don't contribute to the community do not increase in rank. I award merits to brand new members as well as legendaries, and I only consider the post or thread as the primary driver.

If you have made 300 posts, and you haven't received any merit, then you should analyse your posting, and look at some of the posts that do receive merit. Demanding that sMerits should be taken away from some members, and given to others, is not likely to get you any merit in your next 300 posts if you don't make some changes to your posting habits.
comander (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 05:39:04 PM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (1)

Yes, the idea was to save merits for those who need (anyone except Legendary) and give it to them. It still wont be anything like the old activity system just because of the reason that there is limited points of merit,if not taking into account "merit sources". Why cant you just hold them till the right moment and give more to the person who deserves it ? I do not believe that any other rank except Legendary can't post anything "good enough" for people with merit to receive a point for it. And yes about the statement that merit shows the quality of post or saying thank you could be spammy, yes it is true but how did you showed that you liked the post of somebody before the merit system ? Why cant you continue to do the same way with Legendary accounts ? Since Legendaries can do with merit nothing but give it to others the waste of half of the merit points is pointless.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 06:10:43 PM
Merited by Foxpup (1)

Yes, the idea was to save merits for those who need (anyone except Legendary) and give it to them. It still wont be anything like the old activity system just because of the reason that there is limited points of merit,if not taking into account "merit sources". Why cant you just hold them till the right moment and give more to the person who deserves it ? I do not believe that any other rank except Legendary can't post anything "good enough" for people with merit to receive a point for it. And yes about the statement that merit shows the quality of post or saying thank you could be spammy, yes it is true but how did you showed that you liked the post of somebody before the merit system ? Why cant you continue to do the same way with Legendary accounts ? Since Legendaries can do with merit nothing but give it to others the waste of half of the merit points is pointless.

Rewarding merits for a good post is not pointless. It's exactly how the system should work. You need to forget ranks. You need to forget "likes", that's not what merit is for. You need to look at those "pointless" Legendary posts and ask yourself why they got merits and you didn't.

BTW this belongs in Meta with all the other "rank is hard merit not fair" threads. This is not a serious discussion topic.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 08:38:57 PM
Merited by suchmoon (5)

Maybe Theymos decides one day to create another level like "Mythical" or "Shatosi´s Secret Son" so even Legendary members may "need" merit for the future. In any case, I reward by quality, but I am more forgiving with the first one or two points to welcome new members.
crwth
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1250

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 03:06:47 AM

Maybe Theymos decides one day to create another level like "Mythical" or "Shatosi´s Secret Son" so even Legendary members may "need" merit for the future. In any case, I reward by quality, but I am more forgiving with the first one or two points to welcome new members.
It's undeniably good to hear Mythical or something like that. But I've seen moderators who have different titles below their name called custom title. I think it's okay with that, it's somehow like that in a way. Like the "Lambhorgini Member" of hilariousandco. That's awesome
OriginTrain

Activity: 406
Merit: 174

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 05:23:06 AM

You can view merit being awarded to legendary/staff as "burning". Burning is a practice that creates value in tokens. By burning merit, merit becomes more sought after, and people will be encouraged to create better quality posts to attain it.

At least, that's the politically correct point of view.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 06:04:05 AM
Merited by Foxpup (1)

You can view merit being awarded to legendary/staff as "burning". Burning is a practice that creates value in tokens. By burning merit, merit becomes more sought after, and people will be encouraged to create better quality posts to attain it.

At least, that's the politically correct point of view.

Merit doesn't go to waste on legendaries so can't really be comparable to burning Bitcoin. It doesn't really make it that more valuable whether it's given to a legendary or not, and therefore there's no comparison again.

Merits are suppose to be rewarded to those who post high quality informative posts. If the post is high quality then rank shouldn't play in the factor. Plus, for every 2 sMerit you get 1 back, and therefore a few legendaries can send it to other members. This also gives the chance to users to demonstrate to theymos they are suitable for a merit source. It certainly isn't wasted that's for sure.
dumiya

Activity: 189
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 09:38:13 AM

The question is why do you really need merits and rank up?

You are free to discuss about cryptocurrency in bitcointalk and there is no need to gain merits for it. There are few restrictions such as time limits for posting and private messaging as well as signature restrictions for low ranked/low activity members. These steps are taken by the administrator to restrict spammers who want to post tons of spams and send spams via private messaging as well as use the signature space as a free marketing method. If your contribution to forum is valuable you will get merits without any extra effort. Although you don't get any merit you can still stay and continue your crypto journey with bitcointalk. No worries.
comander (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 10:05:51 AM

The question is why do you really need merits and rank up?

You are free to discuss about cryptocurrency in bitcointalk and there is no need to gain merits for it. There are few restrictions such as time limits for posting and private messaging as well as signature restrictions for low ranked/low activity members. These steps are taken by the administrator to restrict spammers who want to post tons of spams and send spams via private messaging as well as use the signature space as a free marketing method. If your contribution to forum is valuable you will get merits without any extra effort. Although you don't get any merit you can still stay and continue your crypto journey with bitcointalk. No worries.

The answer is obvious and if you are wearing a signature you understand it very well also.
mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 2135

Slots Enthusiast & Expert

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 12:58:20 PM

I hate to admit that the legendaries, heroes, and some of the senior members got their merit because their post quality is above anyone else. The low-rank members' posts are just bad both content and writing technique. I don't have a problem with this thing, but something is bothering me. Some merit points were given freely in such a stupid reason, such as sucking up, when low-rank members seemingly agree with high-rank members idea and praise them. (Don't ask me for the prove, use your common sense and search engine). This is so bad for the community because the "devil's advocates" are needed to avoid "group-think."

As mentioned before, giving merit points to fellow high-rank members still beneficial to the community. Some of them maybe run out of points and unable to merit good quality posts. They don't need it anyway, so no benefit of hodling. Yes, half might be wasted, but it's better than fully wasted because of none deserve it.

Am I the only one who tired of merit-related topics?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 04:27:06 PM

I hate to admit that the legendaries, heroes, and some of the senior members got their merit because their post quality is above anyone else. The low-rank members' posts are just bad both content and writing technique. I don't have a problem with this thing, but something is bothering me. Some merit points were given freely in such a stupid reason, such as sucking up, when low-rank members seemingly agree with high-rank members idea and praise them. (Don't ask me for the prove, use your common sense and search engine). This is so bad for the community because the "devil's advocates" are needed to avoid "group-think."
Yeah, some members got their merit just for being around for a long time, and don't particularly contribute high quality posts to the forum. However, that's fine you can't expect everyone to contribute solid ideas or information. But, these people will be highlighted because they aren't earning any merit points. Merit points only really effect those who want to earn from the forum. A newbie can contribute equally as much as a legendary.

Am I the only one who tired of merit-related topics?
It's a major feature, and is still new. Years back you could get your rank merely by posting, and activity wasn't a thing. When theymos implemented the activity feature there were many threads. Especially, because a few people that were Hero Member got demoted. This is expected with any new feature that severely impacts the members of the forum. Unfortunately, such a feature limits the account farmers, and signature campaigns spammers so there will naturally be more people complaining, and pushing their ideas out.
NadiaHel

Activity: 336
Merit: 203

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 04:46:25 PM
Merited by odolvlobo (1), paxmao (1), theyoungmillionaire (1)

<...>

I think you don`t understand how the merit system works. Legendary members also need to receive merits if they want to have smerits to give to others. So, yes, it is really important tey receive merits, for they can share them with others.
The merit system is kind of "organic". Not all the legendary accounts have infinite smerits to give out, so they need to earn some as well if they want to merit someone else.
Not all the legendary members all merit sources, just remember that, the receiving-sending system works similar to them.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 06:16:18 PM

It's undeniably good to hear Mythical or something like that. But I've seen moderators who have different titles below their name called custom title. I think it's okay with that, it's somehow like that in a way. Like the "Lambhorgini Member" of hilariousandco. That's awesome

Yes, I have seen that one, it´s a good one definitely.
comander (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 06:52:18 PM

<...>

I think you don`t understand how the merit system works. Legendary members also need to receive merits if they want to have smerits to give to others. So, yes, it is really important tey receive merits, for they can share them with others.
The merit system is kind of "organic". Not all the legendary accounts have infinite smerits to give out, so they need to earn some as well if they want to merit someone else.
Not all the legendary members all merit sources, just remember that, the receiving-sending system works similar to them.

Maybe the forum could do a feature that all legendary accounts could generate by themselves small amount of merit up to 5 or 10 per month, maybe more, and with this they could also share merit without half of it being deleted.
Ronaldobaban17

Activity: 146
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 08:18:27 AM

I think merit nowadays is really hard to obtain, I've been posting informative post before but still doesn't get merit from anyone who has to give. I don't really understand how it works, maybe you need to post a quality novel about crypto so that they can see your post, and at least they will give merit to you. I think helping people to rank up is more glorious than collecting all merits with your quality post. How about those people that do not know how to construct English, is there any way they can get a merit?
OSEIBOATENG

Activity: 238
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2018, 10:29:00 AM

For the merits system, you don't have to beg for merits friend. All you have to do is to make quality post which will attract merit and the legendaries and also the merit sources will merit you. You cant just make a one line post on this forum and wait for a merit from someone. We have people over here who joined the forum not long ago but have gotten enough merits to rank them up and this is because of the quality post they make here. Quality post means your post should help someone out or must solve a problem for someone or even speak the true fact about someones comments.  
comander (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 10:32:39 AM

For the merits system, you don't have to beg for merits friend. All you have to do is to make quality post which will attract merit the legendaries to merit you. You cant just make a one line post on this forum and wait for a merit from someone. We have people over here who joined the forum not long ago but have gotten enough merits to rank them up and this is because of the quality post they make here. Quality post means your post should help someone out or must solve a problem for someone or even speak the true fact about someones comments. 

So you want to say you didn't make any good quality post since your registration ?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: