Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:29:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: REQUEST: Requirements for new ALT Coins.  (Read 2602 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:08:49 AM

This is a note to BadBear and other mods:

Would you guys consider implementing a rule requiring all new alt coins to be submitted for evaluation based on legitimacy, innovation, and proficiency in implementation?   I don't know if that means fulfilling a checklist of basic requirements, or undergoing a quick evaluation first.  I think this would be manageable because legit coins will be few and far between, and more importantly, the nonsense will drop off immediately.  With the release of the new 'Make your own Alt coin' tool - this move is even more necessary right now.

-------

I am fairly new here.  But I think people need to remember the big picture. 

I became involved in this community because I was interested in seeing the innovation going on in the cyrptocurrency realm.  A lot of respected people in the Bitcoin world look to the ALT coin community as a testing ground for possible future value-added features which could be included in the Bitcoin protocol.  In fact, quite a few Bitcoin trash talkers are currently being silenced with this reminder, that the ALT community may very well provide solutions to Bitcoins biggest problems. What is actually developing here however, is Romper Room.  Gone are the days of Namecoin, Peercoin, Litecoin, and the like.  The alt coin community has a very important role in the future of world economies. 

True innovation, creative thinking, and qualified developers should be putting out new coins.  Nobody else.  Maybe in another subforum titled "Shit Coins".  Maybe all the good ideas have been taken.  I don't know.  But I think its hurting everyone here to allow this to continue.  PS:  To all my fellow pump and dump fans ... no offense.  I am all for making quick money.  Its a free market.  But even pump and dumps should have a legit gimick, or you waste your time mining.  Noodly Appendage Coin for example...

-BittBurger-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:15:54 AM

Great idea! Too many carbon copy coins out there. If your coin brings nothing new to the table other than modified block values, retargeting times or a different icon, it probably shouldn't exist.
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:56:33 AM

I believe that we need to persuade people to kill Litecoin and PeerCoin first
SuzukiAkito

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:02:38 AM

I'm new to all of this but I do agree that the recent new altcoins are.... lol

It's all just a way to make easy cash for those with the hardware for most of the coins lately. Not many coins are really attempting anything new...
leetmodz

Activity: 66

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:05:09 AM

Great idea!

singula

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:10:37 AM

I guess we shouldn't bee too strict (free market, etc ...), but it would be nice to have some minimal requirements for common PoW coins:

1. Having the source code, ideally on a git repo.
2. Having some stable initial node (specified in the code), so no gimmicks with .conf files are necessary to start the coin.
3. Having key parameters (block reward, retarget, type of PoW algo, possibly size of premine.... ) specified in the announcment.

And ideally have at least some of the following;
* a pool
* windows wallet
* some service(s) - faucet, block explorer, shop, gaming site, whatever ...

For at least somewhat new/innovative coins (that brings at least one new algorithm somewhere inside) perhaps require only first point (having source).

Big brother is not watching you anymore. Big brother is telling you how to live.
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:57:32 AM

yes. coins that actually innovate are buried
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:20:16 AM

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
Mortimer452

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:30:55 AM

I agree with this for the most part.  I am new here as well, started getting into cryptos just a few months ago, but ever since DOGE proved to the world that you can create a successful coin on nothing more than a childish meme, it's getting ridiculous.

Far more important than limiting the announcements here, I think, is getting Cryptsy, CoinedUp and CoinEx to have some requirements as to what shows up on the exchanges.  Community support/votes/begging to be listed is important, but I think the exchanges need to be in DIRECT CONTACT with the coin's developers before getting listed, for one to make sure they're even around anymore, and to make sure they're OK with it.
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:34:38 PM

Its a tough call because it does reek of censorship.

But then again, moderators delete "spam" on here every day. I think an argument could be made that a lot of these coins made by amateurs, with zero value, qualify as spam.

Thoughts?

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
El Dude

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:42:20 PM

lol kill litecoin not going to happen buddy , keep dreaming

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
weedoge

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:52:23 PM

I guess we shouldn't bee too strict (free market, etc ...), but it would be nice to have some minimal requirements for common PoW coins:

1. Having the source code, ideally on a git repo.
2. Having some stable initial node (specified in the code), so no gimmicks with .conf files are necessary to start the coin.
3. Having key parameters (block reward, retarget, type of PoW algo, possibly size of premine.... ) specified in the announcment.

And ideally have at least some of the following;
* a pool
* windows wallet
* some service(s) - faucet, block explorer, shop, gaming site, whatever ...

For at least somewhat new/innovative coins (that brings at least one new algorithm somewhere inside) perhaps require only first point (having source).

This is good and what we need, not what OP suggested imo.

Musent

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:01:01 PM

Agreed. Stop the bleeding.
xwortel

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:05:17 PM

yes,please make something like this possible
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:05:33 PM

Ops should have  a back ground info , coin should have %51 -attack protections. no instamining.
lasciv

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:10:10 PM

free market?
Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:12:28 PM

I don't think it would be fair to impose this on altcoins. It's a free market, after all.

However, I wouldn't be against a new subforum being made for coins that cut it above the rest. Weekly votes could determine which coins make it in or out. So the main announcements subforum could be a sort of free for all, but only the best coins would make it into the new subforum.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
panonym

Activity: 266

Help and Love one another ♥

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:32:30 PM

Need alternative to 1st proof of work.
Mining only interest people with good hardware.

Want proof of burn or real innovation.
callawey

Activity: 87

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:40:02 PM

No one can put a requirement for altcoins but if the community does its job correct, eventualy shitcoins will stop. If you see any premine even like 0.01% dont mine it, if no one mines any of this releases than eventualy the shitcoin releasers will stop making them because they will know there is no point to do it.

For myself, i realy get tired of seing shitcoins everyday with premines, if the developers needs money, i am pretty sure that if (s)he does a good job he will receive a plenty good donations but saying "premined for development" is totaly scamm and just shit, they are here to become rich without doing any thing as releasing a coin is pretty easy which a few programing knowladge. If you release a coin, donations are the way to go, if you premine, i hope the community does its job and this shitcoins dies.

aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:50:35 PM

Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=401943.msg4353573#msg4353573

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: