Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:27:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1.2 BTC Tournament | Play for free! | 6 Winners | MooCoin RC1  (Read 2922 times)
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 06:23:48 PM

I can't believe you are going to give out .4 to someone who is basically scamming the site.  There's someone who has played 95 games, and lost all 95.  So it's basically who has the most time to kill.  He's just joining games and losing on purpose, I've seen him do it to me. (betting low with a 2).

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
moocoin (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 06:58:44 PM

I can't believe you are going to give out .4 to someone who is basically scamming the site.  There's someone who has played 95 games, and lost all 95.  So it's basically who has the most time to kill.  He's just joining games and losing on purpose, I've seen him do it to me. (betting low with a 2).

Some of this behavior is "abnormal" and unique to the beta.  You won't see people intentionally losing games after launch.  That's why we created an incentive so that we could see it now.  Smiley

Maybe we should explain more about the process we've learned over the years to develop software and create startups.

We have a backlog of Leap of Faith assumptions.  We rank order those assumptions based on risk to the success of the project.  We then test those as quickly and cheaply as possible.  There's much more to it than that, but if you want a good overview of the process we use, it's very similar to the "Lean Startup" by Eric Ries.

In that context, our first question was, "Could someone drain the faucet?" because that posed a risk to the concept of the site.  We ran a beta on MainNet with a faucet a month ago and found that people were able to exploit the faucet.  One person was so successful that they drained $10 USD out of the faucet before they hit the hard limit per user we set in the system.  We kept the beta open and tweaked the faucet until we were confident that we had systems in place to limit exploitation.  That led to better ways to monitor the velocity of the faucet, and better backup plans we can implement in case someone finds an exploit.

That's just one experiment, and we have hundreds in the backlog.

The tournament is not in place because we want to give people money  Smiley  It's there to answer very specific questions we have.  Take the win:loss, winning streak, and losing streak categories for example.  We want to put a system in place that flags abnormal behavior outside of a "normal" threshold.  We don't know where to set the threshold without real people on the website.  We want some of them to act "normally" and others to act "abnormally" so we can build out a distribution.  Hence, the leaderboads that incent "good" behavior and "bad" behavior. 

The data we're collecting about player behavior will be used to make the site better, flag cheaters in the future, and work out any bugs before our launch.  We've already built out some models of regular user behavior, uncovered a bug related to network communication problems that makes games get "stuck", and made changes to the site based on this tournament.

Everything we've learned is what we wanted to learn, and we're getting all of it for roughly $1,200 USD.   That's what one of our Software Engineers makes in a few hours at his day job.

We're actually really happy to share this transparent way we think about the problem with folks - we just normally don't find people that interested in hearing about it.  If anyone has questions about how we code, how we think about the structure of the platform, or what our goals are with MooCoin, let us know!  We're doing something that we think is really special by creating a place where developers can create cool games and people can play them.  We could have created YADG (Yet Another Dice Game), but we aspire to make something better than that.  We're still in the early stages, so stay with us.  I promise it will be a lot of fun!

Thanks,
MooCoin

quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 07:11:00 PM

Wow that makes sense.  So you don't mind paying people who are "scamming" right now so long as they help you figure out how to avoid behavior like that in the future.  Ok, well on that front I'm not even going to bother trying to win any of the categories, but I wish you the best of luck.

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
Drug5bitz

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:13:44 PM

^^ Dude chill it isn't your baby.  Live fire fragging is some of the best testing. I got in on that faucet before, after that told them and helped to fix it. If it's possible to exploit, someone will inevitably. So stop crying you didn't have the "good" idea. Like the guy who camps in a FPS gets a 2.0 k/d, don't be mad he owned you, the game can be played many ways.

In transaction history when you withdraw it comes up as undefined. Everything else seems to be working fine as of now. Good job.

If you would like to donate to my jalapeno mods, or just buy me a b33r it's all appreciated.

BTC Address 1DX24XAojH2qjAgFzbME81o9BD3yDjfGLR
Killua

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:13:54 PM

Ok what about if a user that I referred bets .00000100 BTC 10 times, will I get .00000001 BTC in referrals?  Otherwise it's going to be impossible for the tournament to get referral BTC.

No, we don't charge any fees at all for wagers below .0001 btc.  We want people to play micro-limits for fun, and for free.
It's pretty easy to play bigger games on the site.  I'm actually a bit surprised we don't have anyone winning 20 btc games, yet.  Perhaps not everyone understands TestNet.

If you want more coins, there are a number of TestNet faucets that give out free TestNet btc.  Go check out
http://faucet.xeno-genesis.com/
or
http://tpfaucet.appspot.com/

Thanks,
MooCoin

How do faucets really work? Are they actual "capital" coins or is like monopoly money. It might look nice to have 500 but no store will ever break the $500 for a candy bar much less let you buy the candy bar?
moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 11:55:26 PM

How do faucets really work? Are they actual "capital" coins or is like monopoly money. It might look nice to have 500 but no store will ever break the $500 for a candy bar much less let you buy the candy bar?

Faucets are just a place to get coins for free.

The "monopoly money" aspect of MooCoin is that we're currently running on TestNet.  It's a parallel network that we use for testing so we don't put real bitcoins at risk.  Once we've proven out the software, we'll switch to the main network.

Thanks!
MooCoin

Drug5bitz

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:41:10 AM

Hope you're starting to see some of that volume move up, hopefully see this in the future as well.  Wink

Surprising enough it adds up quick that little fee. If people start bringing in their own coin this could be another primo thing.

If you would like to donate to my jalapeno mods, or just buy me a b33r it's all appreciated.

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 04:39:20 AM

^^ Dude chill it isn't your baby.  Live fire fragging is some of the best testing. I got in on that faucet before, after that told them and helped to fix it. If it's possible to exploit, someone will inevitably. So stop crying you didn't have the "good" idea. Like the guy who camps in a FPS gets a 2.0 k/d, don't be mad he owned you, the game can be played many ways.

In transaction history when you withdraw it comes up as undefined. Everything else seems to be working fine as of now. Good job.

Fixed this  Smiley
And thank you for the encouragement.

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 12:31:53 AM

We're going to take the server down for about 5 minutes to do an upgrade that can't be done with our normal zero-downtime procedure.  Please stand by!

Thanks,
MooCoin

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 12:43:12 AM

We're going to take the server down for about 5 minutes to do an upgrade that can't be done with our normal zero-downtime procedure.  Please stand by!

Thanks,
MooCoin

All set.  Game on!

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 01:53:18 AM

Hey all!

Only 6 days left in the tournament.  Come to MooCoin for your chance to win 1.2 BTC

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 04:57:36 AM

We just introduced a new feature.  We now have a friendly bot on the site that will play games with you.  We decided to do this to make sure that you always had someone to play, even when traffic is low.  We want to make sure you know you're playing a bot, so we've tagged him:

He will always keep one hi-lo game open at .000001 btc.  If you don't see him, it's because he's already in a game.  Just give him a second and he'll create another one as soon as he's finished.  Also, he's not very good.  In fact, he's horrible.  It's just a proof of concept right now.  What do you guys think?  Should we have bots on the site to play when there aren't enough people?  If you like the idea, we'll make it provably fair, etc.

Thanks,
MooCoin

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 05:40:17 AM

Hey everyone,
Please don't bot the bot.  In other words, don't join the bots game with your scripts.  I'd like it to hang out there for people when they show up to play, rather than having them leave the site because there aren't any games.  Having games for people to play when they come to the site is critical for our success. 

Thanks,
MooCoin

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 05:56:06 PM

I am pretty sure all the cheating will only scare away potential users. Some tournament this is.....

We're allowing "cheating" right now during beta so we can measure it, and build models that will help us eliminate it when the site goes live.
Once we go live, well disallow cheating.

Thanks!
MooCoin

Drug5bitz

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:10:29 PM

I'm not complaining but some people took this to a new level. I was pulling decent leads on everyone in 4 categories. Then you got the guy who apparently has a little to much free time doing 1300 BTC between 2 accounts. This just made it less fun as the 20 testnet coins I have been waiting to deposit for 3 days finally arrived. That pace isn't even worth catching up to, but challenge accepted as I'm not inclined to just let another win. If I come out of this with nothing I'm gunna freak a little.

On a side note we drained over 1000 coins in under a week and i'm pretty sure it's lagging like a bitch as some deposits are not even showing.

Drug5bitz

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 06:24:02 PM

2 things you might want to think about adding is how much the current wager is for and if your opponent is a bot in the game. Seeing the outcome of the game for a few seconds would be nice before it flashes the congrats or sorry message as well.

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 07:09:36 PM

I'm not complaining but some people took this to a new level. I was pulling decent leads on everyone in 4 categories. Then you got the guy who apparently has a little to much free time doing 1300 BTC between 2 accounts. This just made it less fun as the 20 testnet coins I have been waiting to deposit for 3 days finally arrived. That pace isn't even worth catching up to, but challenge accepted as I'm not inclined to just let another win. If I come out of this with nothing I'm gunna freak a little.

On a side note we drained over 1000 coins in under a week and i'm pretty sure it's lagging like a bitch as some deposits are not even showing.

Deposits can take some time on TestNet.  The block mining is a little less stable and predictable compared to mainNet.
The people who are using huge amounts and huge numbers of games are really stress testing the system.  I know it's frustrating from a player point-of-view, but it's all in the name of making the site rock-solid for when we go live on MainNet

Thanks,
MooCoin

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 07:12:30 PM

2 things you might want to think about adding is how much the current wager is for and if your opponent is a bot in the game. Seeing the outcome of the game for a few seconds would be nice before it flashes the congrats or sorry message as well.

Both really good suggestions.  Thanks!

Drug5bitz

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:37:11 PM

And just got blown out of a close second in referrals after dude came in moving 52 coins at a time can't contest that. Only other thought before you go live add a pic to the tab bar in the browser. looks good though, all the luck on your journey.

moocoin (OP)

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 12:04:33 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2014, 01:46:49 AM by moocoin

Hi Everyone!

The Release Candidate Tournament is now over!
Congratulations to our winners, and thanks to everyone who was on the site and helped us get the system ready for launch.  We learned a LOT about running the system at scale and that's going to help us make the launch even better for you, the players!

We're going to make some changes to the system before we go live, but they won't take long.  Stay tuned to BitCoinTalk.org for our launch announcement, or check back at www.moocoin.com

Here are the winners of the 6 leaderboards

Most Bitcoin earned through referrals: PUBc4cfa98886fa98146d7cdc3b6342a7a0   - PAID!
Most Bitcoin won: PUB358c2b3af200b823341d4eba16a60122 - PAID!
Best winning ratio: PUBaa46516ff63faaf7daf3aeda9c6a35e5 - PAID!
Most games played: PUB92af0fb5316f5ef9ad340e96d253b4a1 - PAID!
Best winning streak: PUBaa46516ff63faaf7daf3aeda9c6a35e5 - PAID!
Worst losing streak: PUB48cb9dfc3baefb77ba4b1696435c7074 - PAID!

If you won, please email us at admin@moocoin.com as soon as possible to collect your 0.2 BTC reward!

Thanks!
MooCoin

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: