Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:26:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not a newbie anymore but have major questions about selling big ticket items for  (Read 1557 times)
richbit (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:04:11 PM

While the idea of buying and selling using bitcoins and eliminating "banks" is appealing it seems as though a great many posts point to the fact that it isn't exactly that way.
Scam,trust,and escrow are some of the major points brought up.
I signed on to these forums looking to gain an outlet to market a rare Muscle Car.
Yet it seemed,at least on the "newbie" board ,that there was a great deal of mistrust just because I offered a big ticket item.
Not quite sure why as in order to sell a vehicle ,rare or otherwise,a clear title would need transfered  and no buyer that I can think of would make such a purchase without physically inspecting said vehicle and going through the legal transfer steps.
Nor would any seller not seek to verify funds no matter what form they were in.
That being said,what is the advantage to using bitcoins ?

Here is the vehicle offered at 400 bitcoins
A 1969 Boss 429 Mustang that I have owned since new
One of only 899 ever produced in 1969
Rare,and quite frankly the Holy Grail of Mustangs to astute collectors
The ask of 400 bitcoins may seem high to some but I contend that the volitility of the bitcoin price is a major factor and were I convinced that from the time of sale to time of conversion of bitcoin to cash the price would remain stable I would negotiate a lesser amount.
Value in US Dollars is around $275,000.00 which is at todays rate around 305 bitcoins.Convince me and make a deal.
http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds/data/7/large/carlisle043mediummv6.jpg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xritam

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:55:45 PM

Is it all original?
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:01:20 PM

Is it all original?
no.   just look at the picture.  $275k as the value?
Wow, you should go work for barrett jackson's PR dept.   You would be lucky to get the bidding into the six figures if it was completely stock and original.
I doubt you could get $275k for Carol Shelby's personal GT500

And asking people to "discount" the value of their coins?   You should be paying a premium to get the coins.

richbit (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:53:23 PM

Is it all original?

While it is a numbers matching car some of the original parts like the smog system were removed in the early 70's in search of more power.
This Boss was built to be driven and has some tasteful modifications for enhanced performance and safety.
If it was 100% stock the asking price would be around 500 bitcoins.
Raven Black Boss 429's are more highly valued than other colors and several have exceeded $500K at auction
Here's a peek under the hood.
And a shot from a local Sonic Drive In cruise night
http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds/data/7/large/IMG_0148.jpg
http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds/data/7/large/IMG_0189-vi.jpg
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:05:11 PM

how do the numbers match when the engine is not stock?
Worth about $30k.   Try Gas Monkey garage, maybe you will get $40k if you can entertain them and sign the waiver to be on the show.

richbit (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:18:57 PM

how do the numbers match when the engine is not stock?
Worth about $30k.   Try Gas Monkey garage, maybe you will get $40k if you can entertain them and sign the waiver to be on the show.

Simply means that the car Vin number matches the same Vin number that Ford stamped the block with,hence numbers matching.
And ,if you even had a clue as to the value of Boss 429's even in the worst condition they bring over 6 figures all the time.
Do a little research before you swallow your foot.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:29:52 PM

If you look at auction results a sound example of that particular model will go for well over $200,000 all day long. It should be priced as the USD equivalent in Bitcoin. No one's going to hand over extra coins.

In addition to Bitcoin being an immature currency, I'd say that judging by a fair few comments on the forums its holders may not have fully reached maturity themselves. I guess everyone on here is conditioned to (justifiably) think SCAM unless proven otherwise.

List it on Bitpremier or try somewhere like Jamesedition.

Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:40:57 PM

If you look at auction results a sound example of that particular model will go for well over $200,000 all day long. It should be priced as the USD equivalent in Bitcoin. No one's going to hand over extra coins.
In addition to Bitcoin being an immature currency, I'd say that judging by a fair few comments on the forums its holders may not have fully reached maturity themselves. I guess everyone on here is conditioned to (justifiably) think SCAM unless proven otherwise.
When muscle cars were bringing the huge bucks maybe.   But this is not an example that would bring the $300,000 (and fortunately most of the people that were bidding stupid were sellers in 2010/11/12/13 at auctions where muscle was plunging in price like the tessarossas 20 years before.

The post is idiotic and deserves to be called out.   Asking for a "premium" to accept bitcoins has no place here and people that do it should be put in their place.   Is it a scam, I would think it is pretty likely.   He does not know (nor show) enough pride and knowledge about the car that "he has now owned 44 years".   

richbit (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:42:08 PM

Thank you !
It seems as though the masses here find it difficult to do even the basic research before making inane comments.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:09:16 AM

When muscle cars were bringing the huge bucks maybe.   But this is not an example that would bring the $300,000 (and fortunately most of the people that were bidding stupid were sellers in 2010/11/12/13 at auctions where muscle was plunging in price like the tessarossas 20 years before.

The post is idiotic and deserves to be called out.   Asking for a "premium" to accept bitcoins has no place here and people that do it should be put in their place.   Is it a scam, I would think it is pretty likely.   He does not know (nor show) enough pride and knowledge about the car that "he has now owned 44 years".   

It is a mistake to not set the price to the current exchange rate at the day of the sale. Scamming someone with a transaction of this nature would be quite tricky don't you think? You can't really claim it got lost in the mail. 

Recent prices for these have gone up to $500,000 + at auction for all original cars. There's one for sale right now described as a barn find for $189,000. The value is in the right ball park.

richbit (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:40:16 AM

Astute coin collectors know what they are looking at.
And that shiny new 1oz blob while having a spot price will never be worth what a rare coin would be.
Even geeks should realize that.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:44:40 AM

Astute coin collectors know what they are looking at.
And that shiny new 1oz blob while having a spot price will never be worth what a rare coin would be.
Even geeks should realize that.
How old are you and what state do you live in?  Has the car been in that state its whole life or have you moved around?

richbit (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:12:13 AM

Diversify !!
Absolutly,a wise man once told me he bought a collector car because it was more fun to drive his portfolio than look at a bank statement.

And,God forbid we were nuked but unless you are the lone Ranger and have silver bullets I think lead will be a hot commodity.
Unless of course you can melt down bitcoins to make bullets.
Oh wait.bitcoins are only a string of numbers oops
richbit (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:14:09 PM

Thank you for your post !
I have contacted Bitpremier and will list there
richbit (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 01:22:39 AM

And at the current declining value of Bitcoin it will take 453 of them to buy it,not the 400 asked when I first posted the sale.
richbit (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 01:24:59 AM

https://www.bitpremier.com/items/view/222

So he put this on BitPremier and raise his ask from $275k to $290k (assumes $15k fee for BitPremier) and him getting $275k.  Therefore BitPremier is getting about 5% commission on sales, actually a bit less than I would have thought.

Damn nice car but double of what I would even consider it for.

Unfortunatly you would be lucky to get a project Boss 429 for 1/2 of my asking price
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 05:11:13 PM

The "advantage" is that BTC has a better chance of rising to 100%-1000% return than that car does.

Muscle-cars are like pez-dispensers now... 1-10 sell a year, for crazy prices when a mad-man with lots of money feels nostalgic. (Jay Lenno)

Just as 1 BTC was sold for $1240, but the last 5,000,000 BTC were sold for under $600 across all exchanges. I am sure you MAY find someone who really wants that car bad... but you don't have to convince them that it is a good value, when it is clearly not any value. You are selling a novelty, for high-novelty price.

Hold it for a few more years, until dollars drop in value by 50% again, and you will get double your asking price, but the same actual value, if you can even find someone at that point who even knows what a muscle-car is. Otherwise, sell it for what seems like a loss at the time, for BTC, and see what that brings in one years time. I am willing to bet it will be more in dollars, than your 2x asking price would have been, 5 years later.

And this is where the appeal of BTC comes into play.

When the BTC price is low, no-one wants to part with them, when they are high, no-one wants to take them as payment. They are on the low now... If you have faith, take the loss yourself, as others have, and add that value to the network. If you are not willing to do that, then there is no point. If you want FIAT, sell for FIAT.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: