Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:08:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The NSA is reportedly able to access offline computers thanks to radio wave tech  (Read 7533 times)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 02:43:23 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 08:08:22 PM by TheButterZone

Well it's not like they are doing this just to annoy us, the NSA needs to do this for the safety of us. I know this is a big invasion of privacy but would you rather be private and more illegal crime going on?

A victimless "crime", aka exercising liberty, cannot legitimately be called a crime.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:53:49 PM

Do any of you actually read anything before posting?
Yes I read the Infowars article on Intel's 3G enabled chips, but this is not the place to discuss that issue.
This forum is called Bitcointalk.  It is a forum for discussing Bitcoin related topics.  Bashing the NSA for your own political propaganda campaign is completely off topic with respect to Bitcoin.  Go away and create your own forum for anti NSA discussion.
Thanks.

So "Politics & Society" sub should be... banned?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:07:33 PM

Well it's not like they are doing this just to annoy us, the NSA needs to do this for the safety of us. I know this is a big invasion of privacy but would you rather be private and more illegal crime going on?

dude should not use his NSA cubicle terminal to post on bitcointalk forum... Come on now!  Grin
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:22:40 PM

Well, i need money, that doesn't mean i should be stealing.

And this isn't about safety, it's about control.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Coin_Master

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:34:30 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 10:18:22 AM by Coin_Master

Do any of you actually read anything before posting?
Yes I read the Infowars article on Intel's 3G enabled chips, but this is not the place to discuss that issue.
This forum is called Bitcointalk.  It is a forum for discussing Bitcoin related topics.  Bashing the NSA for your own political propaganda campaign is completely off topic with respect to Bitcoin.  Go away and create your own forum for anti NSA discussion.
Thanks.

So "Politics & Society" sub should be... banned?
There is an attempt being made to make a connection between "Intel vPro Technology" and the NSA.  The NSA did not create vPro, there is no evidence to suggest "Intelligence Agencies" from any country had anything to do with Intel's decision to implement vPro.  This thread belongs in "Speculation".  If you are here at Bitcointalk to create an enemy out of the NSA, please don't, go away and create your own forum for anti NSA discussion.  Satoshi Nakamoto had to leave this forum for the same reason, people didn't STFU when asked to.  Remember the post about WikiLeaks bringing heat.  Please Stop!
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:41:16 PM

So, just to re-cap, Coin_Master thinks we should all be quiet and this thread should just go away, because, well, at first, intelligence agencies could only "access your computer if they insert a wireless device into it."

And, then, when it's admitted right on the Intel website that these devices are, in fact, in a lot of computers already, and set to become standard on all Intel PCs, we just need to all shut up about it because "this is not the place to discuss that issue."

This thread, called "The NSA is reportedly able to access offline computers thanks to radio wave tech," is not the place to discuss wireless, offline access being made standard on CPUs, apparently.  Because, apparently, someone having wireless access directly to your PC, even when it's turned off, is not a "Bitcoin related topic."

Like I said already, I've been personally targeted by this bullshit.  I know exactly who implemented it, and why.  It was not a fun experience for me.  It's something I think everyone should be aware of.  And it is directly relevant to Bitcoin.

And if you don't like Infowars as a source, even though their article is well-researched and you can click through and watch the video about this technology right on the Intel website, you can read about similar plans of the CIA for how their investment arm, In-Q-Tel, works with manufacturers to put spy technology into everything they can, from Wired:

CIA Chief: We’ll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher

Earlier this month, Petraeus mused about the emergence of an “Internet of Things” — that is, wired devices — at a summit for In-Q-Tel, the CIA’s venture capital firm.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Coin_Master

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:26:49 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 12:40:49 AM by Coin_Master

So, just to re-cap, Coin_Master thinks we should all be quiet and this thread should just go away, because, well, at first, intelligence agencies could only "access your computer if they insert a wireless device into it."

And, then, when it's admitted right on the Intel website that these devices are, in fact, in a lot of computers already, and set to become standard on all Intel PCs, we just need to all shut up about it because "this is not the place to discuss that issue."

This thread, called "The NSA is reportedly able to access offline computers thanks to radio wave tech," is not the place to discuss wireless, offline access being made standard on CPUs, apparently.  Because, apparently, someone having wireless access directly to your PC, even when it's turned off, is not a "Bitcoin related topic."

Like I said already, I've been personally targeted by this bullshit.  I know exactly who implemented it, and why.  It was not a fun experience for me.  It's something I think everyone should be aware of.  And it is directly relevant to Bitcoin.

And if you don't like Infowars as a source, even though their article is well-researched and you can click through and watch the video about this technology right on the Intel website, you can read about similar plans of the CIA for how their investment arm, In-Q-Tel, works with manufacturers to put spy technology into everything they can, from Wired:

Earlier this month, Petraeus mused about the emergence of an “Internet of Things” — that is, wired devices — at a summit for In-Q-Tel, the CIA’s venture capital firm.

You are clearly confused about what I said, and why.

Not technically impossible, just completely irrelevant.  This is not news, the title of this thread should be "NSA can access your computer if they insert a wireless device into it".  Really?
This remark was made because the OP never mentioned Intel vPro in the first post of this thread.  There are only 2 links given
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/us/nsa-effort-pries-open-computers-not-connected-to-internet.html
and
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/01/15/nsa-reportedly-able-access-offline-computers-thanks-radio-wave-technology/?fromcat=all#
Neither link mentions Intel or Intel vPro.  Both articles have pictures of USB transmitters, hence my remark about an alternate name for the thread.
What you have done is try and introduce secondary information in an attempt to link Intel vPro Technology with the NSA.  Nice try, but no proof!
In-Q-Tel publish a list of all the companies they provide funding to, and nowhere on the list does Intel feature.  You need to live in the real world, base your assertions on provable facts.  Otherwise it is just libel.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:34:05 AM

You are clearly confused about what I said, and why.

Not technically impossible, just completely irrelevant.  This is not news, the title of this thread should be "NSA can access your computer if they insert a wireless device into it".  Really?
This remark was made because the OP never mentioned Intel vPro in the first post of this thread.  There are only 2 links given
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/us/nsa-effort-pries-open-computers-not-connected-to-internet.html
and
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/01/15/nsa-reportedly-able-access-offline-computers-thanks-radio-wave-technology/?fromcat=all#
Neither link mentions Intel or Intel vPro.  Both articles have pictures of USB transmitters, hence my remark about an alternate name for the thread.
What you have done is try and introduce secondary information in an attempt to link Intel vPro Technology with the NSA.  Nice try, but no proof!
In-Q-Tel publish a list of all the companies they provide funding to, and nowhere on the list does Intel feature.  You need to live in the real world, base your assertions on provable facts.  Otherwise it is just libel.

Dude. You believe seriously all the companies involved with In Q Tel will be openly listed on their website? Maybe we should all stop or you will ask for our IP address and sue us for libel...  Grin

Our little thread is a menace to NSA's society...
Coin_Master

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 03:38:20 AM

Dude. You believe seriously all the companies involved with In Q Tel will be openly listed on their website? Maybe we should all stop or you will ask for our IP address and sue us for libel...  Grin

This is exactly the kind of conspiracy fiction I was referring to when I stated this thread "has absolutely nothing to do with Bitcoin".
Speculative statements based on pure fantasy, backed by nothing more than "It could happen Dude, why you so stupid?".
No proof, no facts, just a bunch of dreamers.  It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 03:45:12 PM

This is exactly the kind of conspiracy fiction I was referring to when I stated this thread "has absolutely nothing to do with Bitcoin".
Speculative statements based on pure fantasy, backed by nothing more than "It could happen Dude, why you so stupid?".
No proof, no facts, just a bunch of dreamers.  It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

First, I don't believe you are stupid, but you have the right to call me/us dreamers. Second, everything you said about this thread could be applied to your logic and is sadly funny  Smiley

Regarding bitcoin it matters and third of all you are replying to a thread in "Bitcoin Forum > Other > Politics & Society >"
Did you miss the part that says "Other"? Smiley
Coin_Master

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:02:30 PM

Dude. You believe seriously all the companies involved with In Q Tel will be openly listed on their website? Maybe we should all stop or you will ask for our IP address and sue us for libel...  Grin

No proof, no facts, just a bunch of dreamers.  It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

First, I don't believe you are stupid, but you have the right to call me/us dreamers. Second, everything you said about this thread could be applied to your logic and is sadly funny  Smiley

Regarding bitcoin it matters and third of all you are replying to a thread in "Bitcoin Forum > Other > Politics & Society >"
No you missed the part where if you cannot provide proof for the claims you make, it's all hot air.  Be prepared to be challenged.  You are a fool.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:09:45 PM

First, I don't believe you are stupid, but you have the right to call me/us dreamers. Second, everything you said about this thread could be applied to your logic and is sadly funny  Smiley

No you missed the part where if you cannot provide proof for the claims you make, it's all hot air.  Be prepared to be challenged.  You are a fool.

Yes I am  Grin
Have fun playing Don Quixote in front of your screen while you challenge me with your proofs...

Coin_Master

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:14:05 PM

All I am saying is it would be nice if the members of this forum spent more time building services for Bitcoin, making it bigger and stronger, rather than spending time on things they have little or no control over, that's all.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:36:10 PM

All I am saying is it would be nice if the members of this forum spent more time building services for Bitcoin, making it bigger and stronger, rather than spending time on things they have little or no control over, that's all.

I understand your point. But this section is to cool off and talk about stuff we don't control, stuff we wish were different, stuff that scares us, stuff that's amazing and want to share, stuff we don't agree with, stuff we don't care about.

Here you can call me names as long as you feel like, prove me wrong, tell me I am wasting my time talking about stuff I can't understand, etc, etc... it's all cool dude. Seriously.

As Phil Coulson says "Tahiti - Its a magical place..." Wink
Coin_Master

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:24:37 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 11:38:16 PM by Coin_Master

Well in that case, yes anyone can access Intel vPro CPUs with Active Management Technology remotely, provided the motherboard also supports these features of the CPU.  Then it is rather trivial to remotely access the CPU at Ring level -2, which is below Ring level -1 (the Hypervisor level) and also below Ring 0 (kernel mode level).  This area of the CPU known as SMM (System Management Mode) is more privileged than a hypervisor and has complete access to all system memory including the kernel and hypervisor memory.  Code running in SMM also has access to I/O devices (IN/OUT, MMIO).  This code running in SMM is not subject to Intel TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) meaning at no point is code running in SMM checked or verified.  This code is outside the reach of the operating system or any other software installed.  There are many exploits available online, however it would not be wise of me to link directly to them.  If one were interested in learning more they could start here:
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/attacks-against-system-management-mode-smm
Hope this helps.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:42:43 PM

Well in that case, yes anyone can access Intel vPro CPUs with Active Management Technology remotely, provided the motherboard also supports these features of the CPU.  Then it is rather trivial to remotely access the CPU at Ring level -2, which is below Ring level -1 (the Hypervisor level) and also below Ring 0 (kernel mode level).  This area of the CPU known as SMM (System Management Mode) is more privileged than a hypervisor and has complete access to all system memory including the kernel and hypervisor memory.  Code running in SMM also has access to I/O devices (IN/OUT, MMIO).  This code running in SMM is not subject to Intel TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) meaning at no point is code running in SMM checked or verified.  This code is outside the reach of the operating system or any other software installed.  There are many exploits available online, however it would not be wise of me to link directly to them.  If one were interested in learning more they could start here:
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/attacks-against-system-management-mode-smm
Hope this helps.

I am sure this should help anyone wanting to hack into someone's offline computer...
Coin_Master

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:45:35 PM

I am sure this should help anyone wanting to hack into someone's offline computer...
You asked Smiley

(or someone did)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:57:52 PM

You asked Smiley

(or someone did)

Now we know it is definitely possible to hack offline computers with radio wave tech...
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 12:18:34 AM

that means that they can watch you wacking off to the porn on your computer even when the wifi is turned off...lol
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 04:44:24 PM

that means that they can watch you wacking off to the porn on your computer even when the wifi is turned off...lol

Yeah, but so far inflatable dolls are safe from the NSA...
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: