Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:58:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy a car now or invest and buy later?  (Read 3897 times)
UnDerDoG81 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:50:36 AM

Hi,

I have a decision to make and am not sure what to do. So I already invested 50% of my cash into BTC for long term. Now I have about $20K and I need/want a car for 3 years now. I found three nice cars but am not sure if I should buy one of them now? Or better invest those $20K in BTC and speculate?

Maybe when I invest, I will lose it or if things goes well it will double in a few months and I could get the car for free. I need and want this car, there is no discussion about if it makes sense to buy a car or not.

So, what would you do? Go full (90%) BTC and speculate? Or get the car now and enjoy the ride?
fr33d0miz3r

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:58:33 AM

Invest in BTC instead of buying a car, and buy a bike later  Grin
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:01:21 AM

Spend 5k on the car and 15k on BTC.   There are plenty of decent cars for 5k. 
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:14:03 AM

You can do what you want with your cash but one thing I am telling to everybody. Keep one bitcoin at all times and never sell it (at this time). One bitcoin is enough to be rich in few years and risk of losing it is slim.

kwest

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:18:30 AM

If I understand you correctly you already have $20k invested in BTC? In that case I would personally lean towards a car for $10-12k, and keep the rest of the money available for future investment opportunities and/or as a buffer for unexpected expenses.

I also never buy BTC on stagnation or rallies, only dips/crashes. So even if the next dip was at a higher price than the current one, I would buy then.. not now. Because you already have a bunch of BTC, I feel this is the best alternative. No need to rush it.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:21:22 AM

cars arent safe, enjoy death
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:07:35 PM

Why spend your own money on a car? Buy it on credit, lol. Seriously though, with half decent credit, you can get a loan under 10% APR for a used car (or much less if buying new). If you think bitcoin will go up by at least 10% a year, you could come out ahead by keeping the money in bitcoin. Plus, there's a realistic chance that bitcoin could jump up over 100% in the next few years. Or just cash out the bitcoin to make monthly payments. All of that assumes you can take the risk that bitcoin crashes overnight somewhere in that time period.
Lewis2

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:23:33 PM

If you need a car, buy a car. Investing always gets you more, but you can't drive an investment.

T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:25:04 PM

Invest in Bitcoin. Buy the car in a few months time.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
inspiredinvestor

Activity: 658

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 12:36:52 PM

congrats on already having 50% of your savings in. If your young with no commitments i'd
1/3 Car
1/3 Stuff happens fund
1/3 More bitcoin

just an idea.
Please post a pic of car once you get it Smiley

███        WEBSITE      SLACK      ANN THREAD         ███
████     FACEBOOK      TWITTER      EXPLORER     ████

▬▬▬  JOIN OUR ICO   From March 1st, 2018  ▬▬▬
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:41:41 PM

Invest in Bitcoin at the end of this bear market, hold until the top (or close to) of the next bull market and then buy yourself a luxury car.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
NChosting

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:54:06 PM

First of all you dont "NEED" a car just like you dont need to breathe, you choose to need a car. Personally, I sold my car and invested in Bitcoins and in 2020 I will get one of those self driving Mercedes because I DESIRE one to drive me around while I look at my Bitcoins on my big touch screen listening to ice cube and 2pac.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:04:11 PM

this. get a car that drives and put the rest in bitcoins; you will have both the car and couple dozen more coins. new cars depreciate almost as quick as bitcoin grows.

i am satoshi
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:30:51 PM

this. get a car that drives and put the rest in bitcoins; you will have both the car and couple dozen more coins. new cars depreciate almost as quick as bitcoin grows.

Actually, I would put half into a car, and half into BTC. You can get a really good car for 10k that will give you very few problems and will be fairly new so you won't have to worry about costly repairs or potential problems, at least not for a few years. Hell, you could even get a loan for a new car and put 10k down, and just use the 10k dollars in BTC reserves to help pay off the loan over time, also could help pay for the insurance, so you won't have to worry about that.

Or you could get the car for $10k, and not even worry about a loan, just keep your BTC reserves on the side for emergencies like repairs or paying for insurance. That way you won't exhaust all your bitcoins, have a decent car, and if the value of bitcoins goes up, you'll retain any lost bitcoins payed for repairs or insurance payments from the inflation of the coin. And if bitcoin crashes, at least you have a good car  Cheesy
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:53:42 PM

Put the 20K in bitcoin now.... buy an ashton martin or ferrari in 2-3 years

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:17:00 PM

Hi,

I have a decision to make and am not sure what to do. So I already invested 50% of my cash into BTC for long term. Now I have about $20K and I need/want a car for 3 years now. I found three nice cars but am not sure if I should buy one of them now? Or better invest those $20K in BTC and speculate?

Maybe when I invest, I will lose it or if things goes well it will double in a few months and I could get the car for free. I need and want this car, there is no discussion about if it makes sense to buy a car or not.

So, what would you do? Go full (90%) BTC and speculate? Or get the car now and enjoy the ride?

even if u don't plan to invest in BTC further, why would you wanna get a car for $20k ? all u need is a car safe enough to get u from point A to point B, $10K is more than enough for a decent used car the rest diversify it into litecoin.

UnDerDoG81 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:35:38 PM

Sorry for the late reply, had to go after posting this question.

The car thing is, I know I dont need it. But why should I always live worse? Why not give you some nice present after all that hard work you´ve done? What if you die next year? You saved all your money for what? Is it not important to enjoy live? And who knows if BTC will not crash next year and our BTC´s will be worth cents?

I am not sure if it is clever to go 90% in BTC. What if it really crashes and will never come back to the actual price?

Actually, the car that I want is the 120D BMW Coupe in white. It will cost me $20k.

I actually drive an 14 year old Golf IV TDI wich still does his job.

Nobody knows where bitcoin will go to. If I knew, BTC will not crash any time, I would go full in BTC. But if you lose all, then you will think, why did I?
merkin51

Activity: 95

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:39:57 PM

Rather than buy outright, can you lease / hire a car? I lease a brand new BMW MSport 330d for £300 ($500) a month. It works out cheaper than buying new when you factor in depreciation, I can put more money into bitcoin now, and I get a new car every 2 or 3 years Smiley
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:44:15 PM

What if it really crashes and will never come back to the actual price?

You BMW drive would have about 99.99% more chances to do that Smiley

i am satoshi
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:48:36 PM

50% in BTC seems very high to me man. I personally believe in bitcoins future, but it is still a highly risky "investment". People invest or speculate with bitcoin all the time. That does not make it a good idea. You could get burned here.
If you have thought about all that and still want to do it then here is what I would do.
Get the price of the car you want and exchange that much $USD for BTCBTC.
Now start your search for a good deal. If bitcoin is in a growth mode (it mostly is) then by the time you are ready to pull the trigger you should have more than you started with. Buy and keep the change. If the price starts to tank, withdraw and minimize your losses. It is risky, but this is how I buy things with BTC, and it has worked out well.

P.S. I love my Bimmer!
BMW makes the best cars in the world, IMO.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: