Question: So in 2019 Bitcoin will be...
replaced by something new
used by everybody in the world for usual everyday purposes
used only for anonymus/illegal purchases
used only for gambling and speculation
forgotten, cause fiat money (like  € and $) are good enough

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin in 5 years  (Read 5184 times)
Ada_and_Alternative (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 11:55:07 AM

Hello everybody!

I'm a  technology entrepreneur (= staruper) and have some ideas about bitcoin/altcoin servises I want to realise.
In fact, I'm ready to start working over it, but there are some doubts. Financial expertise is strongly needed, I guess.
But at first I want to hear your opinions and discussion.

1) How do you think what will be with cryptocurrencies in 5 years perspective?

2) Is there any chance that during 5-6 years (till 2020) new coin/technology will appear and replace bitcoin and all cryptocurrencies as we know them now? Any predictions what it will be?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:04:54 PM

Nobody can now for sure. There could be a serious flaw in Bitcoin that make it disappear totally.

Could be that it's stunning successfull.

Never forget it's still an experiment.

As for Altcoins, if there would go something wrong with Bitcoin (no matter if legal or technical) it would affect all alts as well. If Bitcoin goes down all of them will go down, too. If not, I doubt all or even the majority will still be around then and I doubt that any of them will get the adoption as Bitcoin.

If your service doesn't involve currency exchanges, I see no point in including alts, as the majority of potential customers is in Bitcoin anyway and every altcoiner is able to pay in Bitcoins as well.

2) Is there any chance that during 5-6 years (till 2020) new coin/technology will appear and replace bitcoin and all cryptocurrencies as we know them now? Any predictions what it will be?

Sure, if any would do some significant thing better. If I could know what actually would be such a massive improvement that it could replace Bitcoin, I would try to build it. So far I haven't seen any Improvements of real significance.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:19:53 PM

In 2019 Bitcoin will be in economics books.

teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:40:39 PM

None of the above.  All five poll options seem extremely unlikely to me.
Ada_and_Alternative (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 03:03:39 PM

What is your forecast for BTC and others? What would you like it to be in 2019 and after?
Ada_and_Alternative (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 03:09:57 PM

What chapter? "Financial (r)evolution" or "The Bitcoin Bubble"?
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:24:31 PM

Exactly this.  None of the options, or all the options.  Bitcoin -may- be replaced by something better, but first to the market in this setting has a HUGE advantage.  It probably will be used for a lot of everyday buying and selling, but not everything.  It won't replace fiat completely, or nearly at all, too many reasons to explain why but it simply won't.  It will still be used for speculation and gambling.  And it will still be used for illegal activities. 

I just think as the years go by it will be used more and more mainstream for everyday things and less and less for the other options.
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:25:07 PM

Thanks in advance for your answers.
1.) The spread of possibilities is far to big to be certain, but a somewhat optimistic case would be the following. Online wallets pop in mayor industrial nation with good connections to banks, making spending and buying similiarly easy to using paypal. Current wallet application is deprecated anyway since the blockchain has gotten far too large to store on your average computer. BTC transactions account for 1-3% of online trade, especially for use cases which would traditionally require currency transfers.

2.) If BTC achieves such a high level of use quite a couple of protocoll changes are necesarry, which may or may not require a hard fork anyway. In other words bitcoin (as it implemented currently) may be replaced by bitcoin (on a protocol level without changing the blockchain).
Other possibilities for deprecation could include a yet unknown flaw in SHA256 hashing (which would affect all other SHA256 based cryptocurrencies as well) leading to scrypt-based (or a totally different hashing algorythm) currencies replacing SHA256 based ones.
Not seeing anything that would replace cryptos so far. Far bigger risk is imho that cryptocurrencies dont gain enough acceptance to achieve wide-spread usage.
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 04:28:11 PM

I would say:

"Used mainly for value storage, online transactions and international transfers."

I think it will be more similar to virtual gold than virtual currency.

TPN

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

How did it get so late, so soon?

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:49:49 PM

Replacing the Fiat, crypto will become the new currency
skivrmt

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:52:52 PM

I would say:

"Used mainly for value storage, online transactions and international transfers."

Did you quote this or make it up yourself?  It's by far one of the best explanations I've seen describing what most likely Bitcoin is starting to become and one day hopefully it will become. 

The main difference is between BTC and gold though is this is a lot easier to trade and "use" for everyday purchases, transfers etc.
AlexM

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:57:01 PM

Smiley 1KQdUW6gjbJrdWUuLfMvaLzceMVE2dniB9
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 08:00:07 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 04:34:23 AM by ecuamobi

I would say:

Did you quote this or make it up yourself?  It's by far one of the best explanations I've seen describing what most likely Bitcoin is starting to become and one day hopefully it will become.  

The main difference is between BTC and gold though is this is a lot easier to trade and "use" for everyday purchases, transfers etc.

I made it up myself. Quotes are to suggest it to be added to the options.

I agree BTC is much easier to trade than gold, basically because it's digital/virtual.

Caiapfas

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:03:21 PM

BTC will be gone as all crypto that doesn't offer protects cash offers.

If you liked my post or found anything I said useful send some coffee change to
BTC = 3LxtsmCjRDPD6oYYwz31dwFJW9ktUy1Yuz
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:06:11 PM

replaced by a faster coin.

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:35:44 PM

Bitcoin can be the faster coin, via an adjunct protocol.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
miaviator
Donator

Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 09:50:54 PM

Banned in 17 countries.

Ceballos

Activity: 621
Merit: 288

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:25:10 PM

Banned in 17 countries.

+1  Grin Grin

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

██████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:49:40 PM

I could see it! Imagine whole classes and even universities based around the learning and mastering of computing Bitcoins. You could have people specializing in mining Bitcoins, understanding Bitcoins, improving Bitcoins, and even predicting what will happen with them. It's very fascinating.
skivrmt

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 12:18:13 AM

This actually may be true!  But even if true, the good thing is their is still another 179 other countries that it will be legal in.  And as long as China, US, Russia, England, etc aren't part of the 17 I think we'll be ok. Smiley
miaviator
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 12:20:06 AM

This actually may be true!  But even if true, the good thing is their is still another 179 other countries that it will be legal in.  And as long as China, US, Russia, England, etc aren't part of the 17 I think we'll be ok. Smiley

Out of that list I could see Russia as the only one left not ban bitcoin. 

kulinsj

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 12:38:23 AM

6) Used for certain types of transactions where you can afford to wait a while for confirmation on the most secure and trusted currency network (ex. mortgage payment). Other, faster coins will be used for more mundane, everyday purchases (ex. groceries).
Ed4252

Activity: 204

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 12:52:30 AM

Is there anything faster than Litecoin that's kinda popular?
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 01:19:45 AM

I think it'll be used as a medium for online and international transactions, and that investors will use it to hedge financial positions that would go south if the economy melts down - the same way they use Gold today.

I'm pretty sure it'll remain too volatile for most people to consider using it as a store of value, and it'll start to see the effects of serious inflation as other cryptocurrencies gain market share.

By 5 years from now there'll be at least one or two other cryptocurrencies that are starting to be a serious challenge to Bitcoin because of developing new technology that Bitcoin doesn't partake of.  Some examples of the sort of thing that would give a challenger an advantage include a distributed 'tumbler' for financial privacy, GHOST protocol for resolving block conflicts, a good scaling strategy that remains distributed, peer-to-peer markets in digital assets (possibly including digital stock certificates), offline transactions, instant confirmations, etc.  Five years is probably too soon for them to have "replaced" bitcoin, but by then it's going to be a competitive market, and that competition is going to show in Bitcoin inflation coupled with deflation in the leading altcoins.  That'll be driving speculator money into the new altcoin challengers, tending to equalize the leading options as time goes on.

There's going to be more regulation.  It'll be seriously impossible for just anybody to legally launch a cryptocurrency starting sometime within the next five years; there's going to be registering, bonding, possibly requirements to back the new coin with some commodity, etc.

Also, the protocol is going to be used to transfer fiat money just as easily as Bitcoin sometime in the future -- though that'll probably be ten years or more rather than five or less.
Siegfried

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 01:20:13 AM

Nobody can now for sure. There could be a serious flaw in Bitcoin that make it disappear totally.

Could be that it's stunning successfull.

Never forget it's still an experiment.

As for Altcoins, if there would go something wrong with Bitcoin (no matter if legal or technical) it would affect all alts as well. If Bitcoin goes down all of them will go down, too. If not, I doubt all or even the majority will still be around then and I doubt that any of them will get the adoption as Bitcoin.

If your service doesn't involve currency exchanges, I see no point in including alts, as the majority of potential customers is in Bitcoin anyway and every altcoiner is able to pay in Bitcoins as well.

Sure, if any would do some significant thing better. If I could know what actually would be such a massive improvement that it could replace Bitcoin, I would try to build it. So far I haven't seen any Improvements of real significance.

There have been many fiat currencies that have collapsed, yet other fiat currencies survive. Why wouldn't other cryptocurrencies survive bitcoin's fall?
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:39:20 AM

Is there anything faster than Litecoin that's kinda popular?
Not that I know of... something will pop up within the next few years though I imagine
DCP

Activity: 110

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:41:24 AM

hey guys, there's much more to the Bitcoin architecture then just storing/sending/receiving funds... that's just the visible part of the iceberg.  This video is really informative if you want to go deeper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs6F91dFYCs&feature=share&list=UUC3L8QaxqEGUiBC252GHy3w&index=1

H ~ O ~ D ~ L
ak84

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:10:04 AM

I could see it! Imagine whole classes and even universities based around the learning and mastering of computing Bitcoins. You could have people specializing in mining Bitcoins, understanding Bitcoins, improving Bitcoins, and even predicting what will happen with them. It's very fascinating.

that is pretty much what bitcointalk is minus the trolling and scammers

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Edutainment.Tech ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Double ICO: Games for smart and games for business
SmartGames    ◼ CorpEdu
Xenophis

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:52:31 AM

I believe after riding the momentum it has had last year, the integration process has already begun. It's just a matter of time (years, maybe a decade) until it becomes fully within the realm of mainstream use, but it's absolutely on its way. And it has capital behind it as well to drive it in the proper direction.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 09:39:53 AM

I would say:

Did you quote this or make it up yourself?  It's by far one of the best explanations I've seen describing what most likely Bitcoin is starting to become and one day hopefully it will become. 

Yes, as long as you have Internet at hand. The main weak spot of bitcoin is hidden where its strengths come from. You can trade in gold using some primitive scales, without Internet, electricity or whatever...

It is very vulnerable without a state behind it

Ada_and_Alternative (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 09:40:53 AM

Oh, I see that the community is rather optimistic about bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies future.
But... we mostly think from our own position of advanced users. We are unfortunately not the whole world Undecided

I, myself, believe that bitcoin will be widely spread and become one of the most popular payment methods. Or will be replaced by something new. But very similar.

However... what do the other people think? I mean, do your parents or even children know about bitcoin? How many of them? Is it convinient for them to use BTC? Will it be ever?
Do they want to use cryptocoins? And - the most important - do they need it?  Huh
eboard10

Activity: 261

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:55:09 AM

IMO Bitcoin will still be there in 5 years time, however, it won't be used for everyday purpose due to it's high volatility and because it cannot be controlled by governments. I fear that increased regulation by governments and speculation for such a small market will hinder the spread of Bitcoin to such levels.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:54:29 AM

There have been many fiat currencies that have collapsed, yet other fiat currencies survive. Why wouldn't other cryptocurrencies survive bitcoin's fall?

If something happens, maybe due to Gouverments outlawing Bitcoin, that would have the same Effect on Alts as well.

If Bitcoin breaks due to a technical issue, all alts are done for, too. Because they all base on Bitcoins code. Simple as that.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:01:01 PM

Yes, as long as you have Internet at hand. The main weak spot of bitcoin is hidden where its strengths come from. You can trade in gold using some primitive scales, without Internet, electricity or whatever...

I'm not buying that.   Transporting gold from place to place is extremely vulnerable to brigandage.  Storing gold anywhere makes it vulnerable to robbery.  Bitcoin, not so much; it's up to you how secure or insecure your bitcoin are; there are no physical limits.  I think using gold depends on the state much more than does using bitcoin.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 04:07:05 PM

I'm not buying that.   Transporting gold from place to place is extremely vulnerable to brigandage.  Storing gold anywhere makes it vulnerable to robbery.  Bitcoin, not so much; it's up to you how secure or insecure your bitcoin are; there are no physical limits.  I think using gold depends on the state much more than does using bitcoin.

Without Internet all your bitcoins instantaneously become just digital garbage. Gold is not perfect either, but it is material and has been around as a means of exchange and store of value for almost five millennia (compare it with just five years of bitcoin, lol) despite all its drawbacks...

Holdaaja
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:07:55 PM

Without Internet all your bitcoins instantaneously become just digital garbage. Gold is not perfect, but it has been around as a means of exchange and store of value for almost five millennia...

How would internet disappear?

▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄████████████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀████                              
▄████▀            ████      ████                  ████
█████           ▄████▀     ████▌                 ▐████
█████           ▀▀▀▀      ▐████                  ████▌    ▄▄
 █████▄                  ▄█████████▀            ▐████   ▄███▀
   ▀█████▄▄        ▄▄███████████▀▀   ▄▄▄▄       ████  ▄███▀     ▄▄▄▄
      ▀███████▄    ▀████▀████▀     ▄████▀███   ▐███████▀▀    ▄███▀ ██▌
         ▀▀██████▄▄     ▐████    ▄████  ▐██▌   ███████     ▄███▀  ▄██▌
    ▄▄▄▄     ▀▀█████    ████    ▄███▀   ███   ▐███▌███    ▐████▄▄███▀
  █████▀▀      ▀████▌  ▐████    ████   ▄███   ████ ▐███   ████
 ████▀          ████▌  ▐████▄▄██████▄▄█████▄▄█████  ▀███  ▀████▄▄▄▄██           ▄████▄  ▄████▄  ██▄██▄██▄
████▌          █████    ▀████▀▀  ▀████▀  ▀██▀ ███▀   ▀███   ▀▀████▀▀           ██▀     ██▀  ▀██ ██  ██  ██
████▄       ▄▄████▀                                   ▀███▄▄      ▄▄██  ▄████▄ ██▄     ██▄  ▄██ ██  ██  ██
 ██████████████▀▀                                       ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▀████▀  ▀████▀  ▀████▀  ██  ██  ██
   ▀██████▀▀▀

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
The Bitcoin Casino
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█                         █
█       ██                █
█      █▄▄█               █
█     █▀  ▀█              █
█       ▄▄                █
█     ▄████▄              █
█   ▄████████▄            █
█   ▀████████▀            █
█     ▀████▀              █
█       ▀▀                █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
Provably fair
Free faucet

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
12 exclusive games
And many more...

▄▄
               ▄▀▀
               ▀█
      █▀▄  ▄▄▄▄█▀▀█▄▄ ▄▀█
      █  ▀▀          ▀  █
      █▌        ██▌ █   █▌
      ▐█       ▐█████   ▐█ ▄▄ ▄▄▄
      █▌        ▀▀▀▀     █ █ ▀   █
      █       ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀     ▀    ▄▀
      █         ▀▀           ▄▀
     ▄▀                    ▄▀
   ▄▀                     █
 ▄▀                       █
█   █▄█                   █
 ▀▀▀  █       ▄▄▄▄▄       █
      █       █   █       █
      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀   ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 04:10:54 PM

Without Internet all your bitcoins instantaneously become just digital garbage. Gold is not perfect, but it has been around as a means of exchange and store of value for almost five millennia...

Just unplug your cable or turn off your wi-fi router. As easy as that...

Holdaaja
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:11:58 PM

Just unplug your cable or turn off you wi-fi router...

Well that wouldn't make my coins worthless.

▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄████████████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀████                              
 ████▀          ████▌  ▐████▄▄██████▄▄█████▄▄█████  ▀███  ▀████▄▄▄▄██           ▄████▄  ▄████▄  ██▄██▄██▄
████▌          █████    ▀████▀▀  ▀████▀  ▀██▀ ███▀   ▀███   ▀▀████▀▀           ██▀     ██▀  ▀██ ██  ██  ██
████▄       ▄▄████▀                                   ▀███▄▄      ▄▄██  ▄████▄ ██▄     ██▄  ▄██ ██  ██  ██
 ██████████████▀▀                                       ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▀████▀  ▀████▀  ▀████▀  ██  ██  ██
   ▀██████▀▀▀

The Bitcoin Casino
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
Provably fair
Free faucet

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
12 exclusive games
And many more...

▄▄
               ▄▀▀
               ▀█
      █▀▄  ▄▄▄▄█▀▀█▄▄ ▄▀█
      █  ▀▀          ▀  █
      █▌        ██▌ █   █▌
     ▄▀                    ▄▀
   ▄▀                     █
      █       █   █       █
      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀   ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 04:14:53 PM

They are worthless as long as there is no Internet for you. As simple as that...

Holdaaja
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:16:04 PM

They are worthless as long as there is no Internet for you. As simple as that...

You think paper wallets are worthless? I don't.

▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄████████████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀████                              
   ▀██████▀▀▀

The Bitcoin Casino
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
Provably fair
Free faucet

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
12 exclusive games
And many more...

▄▄
               ▄▀▀
               ▀█
      █▀▄  ▄▄▄▄█▀▀█▄▄ ▄▀█
      █  ▀▀          ▀  █
      █▌        ██▌ █   █▌
     ▄▀                    ▄▀
   ▄▀                     █
      █       █   █       █
      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀   ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 04:16:46 PM

Can you make transactions with them? I always thought that paper wallets were created with the purpose of preventing losing your coins due to a hardware failure of your computer (cold storage)

Holdaaja
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:18:58 PM

Can you make transactions with them?
¨
With casascius coins, yes. And if someone accept just private code, sure.

▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄████████████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀████                              
   ▀██████▀▀▀

The Bitcoin Casino
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
Provably fair
Free faucet

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
12 exclusive games
And many more...

▄▄
               ▄▀▀
               ▀█
      █▀▄  ▄▄▄▄█▀▀█▄▄ ▄▀█
      █  ▀▀          ▀  █
      █▌        ██▌ █   █▌
     ▄▀                    ▄▀
   ▄▀                     █
      █       █   █       █
      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀   ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 04:21:16 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 04:31:32 PM by deisik

¨

So it is not much different if you just replace your casascius coins with any other coins (gold, for example, lol). And I'm not very familiar with bitcoin transaction technology, so could someone more knowledgeable either confirm or refute that? Aren't they liable to double-spend?

How could we know that money is still there (without access to blockchain)?

Holdaaja
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 04:28:29 PM

¨

So it is not much different if you just replace your casascius coins with any other coins (gold, for example, lol). And I'm not very familiar with bitcoin transaction technology, so could someone more knowledgeable either confirm or refute that?

Or I just could replug my internet cable Tongue

▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄████████████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀████                              
   ▀██████▀▀▀

The Bitcoin Casino
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
Provably fair
Free faucet

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▮█▮
12 exclusive games
And many more...

▄▄
               ▄▀▀
               ▀█
      █▀▄  ▄▄▄▄█▀▀█▄▄ ▄▀█
      █  ▀▀          ▀  █
      █▌        ██▌ █   █▌
     ▄▀                    ▄▀
   ▄▀                     █
      █       █   █       █
      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀   ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 04:32:13 PM

So it is not much different if you just replace your casascius coins with any other coins (gold, for example, lol). And I'm not very familiar with bitcoin transaction technology, so could someone more knowledgeable either confirm or refute that?

Or I just could replug my internet cable Tongue

It may not be enough, lol

Ada_and_Alternative (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 05:00:01 PM

Seems like bitcoin is too dependent on Internet connection and electricity.
I hope everything 'll be alright with them in 5 years  Wink
pietje

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:00:49 PM

What isnt dependent on internet and electricity these days? Roll Eyes
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 05:25:27 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 07:41:55 PM by deisik

What isnt dependent on internet and electricity these days? Roll Eyes

Eternal virtues and values indeed (one of them has been named already)...

frank754

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:36:56 PM

I see Bitcoin as becoming more mainstream and stable, also as a hedge against economic conditions. Fiat money keeps being printed as well, and the value of dollars is gradually declining vs the goods that it can purchase, as well as how it can fluctuate in the world currency market. The oil market is based on US dollars, but that can change too. I see Bitcoin as a good long term investment that will not lose relative value in purchasing power. Right now it's more in the discovery/adoption phase and there is still some uncertainty, but once past this hurdle should become more stable. I see the price going up steadily soon as more people invest in it and business adopt it, then later the valuation should still keep going up, but less quickly. I do think it will always beat having fiat money in a bank, and many will soon realize that.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:28:34 PM

- Used by everybody as a saving account

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:14:37 PM

Seems like bitcoin banking is too dependent on Internet connection and electricity.
I hope everything 'll be alright with them in 5 years  Wink

Hey look, it still applies to the alternatives.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Ada_and_Alternative (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 09:41:05 AM

Seems like bitcoin banking everything is too dependent on Internet connection and electricity.
I hope everything 'll be alright with them in 5 years  Wink

Hey look, it still applies to the alternatives.

Any ideas about alternatives?
timmmers

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 03:19:02 PM

Nah. People in China and India and Africa are online via mobile devices and Africa has better coverage than parts of 1st world companies in some areas...if you can't access the web without your Wi-fi router on an ipad or mobile these days you're on the Moon. People on the Moon probably won't use bitcoins IMO though. Wink

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin

.ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..

█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.TELEGRAM
proton

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:26:37 PM

Money is a medium of exchange.  Without other parties to exchange, all money is worthless. 
miaviator
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 05:34:11 PM

Nah. People in China and India and Africa are online via mobile devices and Africa has better coverage than parts of 1st world companies in some areas...if you can't access the web without your Wi-fi router on an ipad or mobile these days you're on the Moon. People on the Moon probably won't use bitcoins IMO though. Wink

Why not?

People on the moon will likely not use cash or gold.  I think BTC would be a good idea for Moon and Underwater projects.

exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:53:43 AM

Since I am an owner of BTC I obviously want it to stick around...though not sure if that'll be the case. I believe that some form of crypto currency will survive...just not sure it'll be btc

Chris180Z

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:31:02 AM

Who knows, but probably used by many people around the world in shops, and there will be competition.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: