Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:58:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mitigating Risk, the One Thing You Need to Know!  (Read 1186 times)
alpha492 (OP)

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:22:16 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2014, 07:35:37 PM by alpha492

I cringe every time a new trader asks me in our live Q&A channel whether or not that should exit some horrible position at ~10%, ~15%, or even ~20% losses.  Stop-loss is everything for a trader and if you don't have some grasp on how to mitigate risk your just gambling.

The moment you can mitigate risk effectively is the moment you become a consistently profitable trader!

http://www.wallstreetcrypto.net/2014/01/mitigating-risk-only-thing-you-need-to.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:35:55 AM

I cringe every time a new trader asks me in our live Q&A channel whether or not that should exit some horrible position at ~10%, ~15%, or even ~20% losses.  Stop-loss is everything for a trader and if you don't have some grasp on how to mitigate risk your just gambling.

The moment you can mitigate risk effectively is the moment you become a consistently profitable trader!

http://www.wallstreetcrypto.com/2014/01/mitigating-risk-one-thing-you-need-to.html

If you don't know about stop losses, you shouldn't be trading, period. Doesn't guarantee a profit though!
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:27:07 AM

I cringe every time a new trader asks me in our live Q&A channel whether or not that should exit some horrible position at ~10%, ~15%, or even ~20% losses.  Stop-loss is everything for a trader and if you don't have some grasp on how to mitigate risk your just gambling.

http://www.wallstreetcrypto.com/2014/01/mitigating-risk-one-thing-you-need-to.html

Read that link and rather interesting.

I cringe everytime I hear a newbie/or try-hard expert trader using stoploss' (or charts for that matter). The moment you use charts as your primary entry/exit points tis the moment you are just gambling and will never be a longterm profitable trader.

Been in the trading game awhile, yet to meet a wealthy chartist, and yet myself to use a % stop loss strategy.
sofuca

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:56:50 AM

how can this be automated? say with bitstamp?

I'd throw a lot more money into bitcoin if I could be rest assured I could go to bed and not wake up in the morning having lost all my money because China has caused a massive crash....
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:13:51 PM

how can this be automated? say with bitstamp?

I'd throw a lot more money into bitcoin if I could be rest assured I could go to bed and not wake up in the morning having lost all my money because China has caused a massive crash....

Bitstamp does not provide stoplosses. Its amateur in that respect. You need to look at something like coinsetters
sofuca

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:19:57 PM

I just found this, http://www.wallstreetcrypto.com/2013/12/how-to-short-btc-or-ltc.html

Time for some studying!
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:21:35 PM

bitfinex is awful is many respects. Tread carefully!
alpha492 (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:17:36 PM

bitfinex is awful is many respects. Tread carefully!

They have upsides and downsides, leverage is nice but low volume allows for very strange market behavior.

danyy

Activity: 145

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 06:43:28 PM

Always put a stop loss sonner than the take profit action.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:06:02 PM

I cringe every time a new trader asks me in our live Q&A channel whether or not that should exit some horrible position at ~10%, ~15%, or even ~20% losses.  Stop-loss is everything for a trader and if you don't have some grasp on how to mitigate risk your just gambling.

I cringe everytime I hear a newbie/or try-hard expert trader using stoploss' (or charts for that matter). The moment you use charts as your primary entry/exit points tis the moment you are just gambling and will never be a longterm profitable trader.

Been in the trading game awhile, yet to meet a wealthy chartist, and yet myself to use a % stop loss strategy.

+1
Traders typically use stop loss to lock in losses, automatically. Think about it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
alpha492 (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:14:13 PM

The % stop-loss example was used here in order to cater to a more general audience, more advanced stop-loss techniques will be coming to the site soon.

But I was afraid mentioning more advanced stop-loss techniques may convolute the point of the article which is that stop-loss is the one and only means to becoming a profitable trader.

As mentioned in the article, even the most primitive stop-loss techniques can be used very successfully.  Unfortunately, as mentioned in previous comments many exchanges in the 'crypto-biz' don't offer a platform that allows for reasonably seamless management of more advanced stop-loss techniques.

So if you have found a way to execute something in an effective way more power to you, but for your average reader, % stop-loss is still effective.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:30:43 AM

The % stop-loss example was used here in order to cater to a more general audience, more advanced stop-loss techniques will be coming to the site soon.

But I was afraid mentioning more advanced stop-loss techniques may convolute the point of the article which is that stop-loss is the one and only means to becoming a profitable trader.

As mentioned in the article, even the most primitive stop-loss techniques can be used very successfully.  Unfortunately, as mentioned in previous comments many exchanges in the 'crypto-biz' don't offer a platform that allows for reasonably seamless management of more advanced stop-loss techniques.

So if you have found a way to execute something in an effective way more power to you, but for your average reader, % stop-loss is still effective.

There are many varieties of stop-loss. A % stop-loss is the most basic, but better than nothing. The hard part most people find with stop losses is actually sticking to them - they instead often cancel the stop-loss and turn to "hope" that the trade will turn round into a winner Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: