Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:35:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] - AMD Motherboards - 5 to 7 PCIe slots  (Read 5899 times)
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 03:47:33 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2011, 04:34:02 AM by CrazyBlane

Looking to buy AMD motherboards with 5 to 7 PCIe slots. Any combo of 1x to 16x slots, just as long as there are 5 to 7 total.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
logansryche

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 04:02:24 AM

heh.. you and I are looking for the same thing. Only thing I've been able to find that's close that you can use all at x16 or x8, is this http://www.fullcompass.com/product/393427.html expensive I know, but it's all I've been able to find. I know MSI released a board last month that has 8 slots on it, only 4 can be used a x16 and 4 at x8.

Hope this helps.
-Matt
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 04:30:32 AM

heh.. you and I are looking for the same thing. Only thing I've been able to find that's close that you can use all at x16 or x8, is this http://www.fullcompass.com/product/393427.html expensive I know, but it's all I've been able to find. I know MSI released a board last month that has 8 slots on it, only 4 can be used a x16 and 4 at x8.

Hope this helps.
-Matt
Woah! I like how they throw "cost effective" in there. Seriously though, there's no reason to run your cards at 8x or 16x, unless you're gaming. I've got a cheap ud3 with 2 16x, 2 4x and 2 1x slots. I'm currently using 5 out of 6 slots with all hashing at full speed (Waiting on a 6th extender.) UD5 has 7 total slots and it's $179 brand new. I was hoping someone may be selling their used MBs with at least 5 slots, 1x to 16x, doesn't matter. 8 would be great but I don't think there are many out there.

logansryche

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 04:37:42 AM

Not that i'm aware of.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 04:45:01 AM

Theres always the PCI to PCIe converters, I'm considering getting 3 to fully utilize my motherboard... Their a bit expensive, but its a lot cheaper than a new board, new ram, and a new CPU. Not sure about power draw, but I solder SMT chips every day, so cutting some power traces and adding a molex to a board isn't a big deal.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
BitPorium

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 04:50:54 AM

This is the one I use in my rig. Great board
https://bitporium.com/components/mother-boards/msi-890fxa-gd65-890-am3 ~$159
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:01:59 AM

This is the one I use in my rig. Great board
https://bitporium.com/components/mother-boards/msi-890fxa-gd65-890-am3 ~$159
Not bad, UD3s going for $149 with free ship on new egg at the moment. Anyone want to get rid of some used Motherboards? I've got some BTC burning a hole in my digital pocket.

CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:03:10 AM

Theres always the PCI to PCIe converters, I'm considering getting 3 to fully utilize my motherboard... Their a bit expensive, but its a lot cheaper than a new board, new ram, and a new CPU. Not sure about power draw, but I solder SMT chips every day, so cutting some power traces and adding a molex to a board isn't a big deal.
Do those work pretty well? Require any special drivers? How much do the converters usually go for? These will be for brand new mining rigs but if I can get a motherboard with 2 PCIe and 3 pci for 50 bucks, and converters aren't that expensive, might not be a bad idea.

logansryche

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:05:23 AM

I'd be interested in those as well.. beats the alternative I laid out lol.
Christian Pezza

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:14:13 AM

what OS you will run with? Win or Lunux?

If you like this tread consider to donate some to https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:20:03 AM

Linuxcoin

xurious

Activity: 413

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:25:06 AM

That's 90 dollars (last ones I saw where 30 each) just in extenders. You can get a complete second board, cpu and ram for 90 dollars.(albeit not new). Or just sell your main and get a better with more slots.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
mb300sd
Legendary

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 05:25:55 AM

Do those work pretty well? Require any special drivers? How much do the converters usually go for? These will be for brand new mining rigs but if I can get a motherboard with 2 PCIe and 3 pci for 50 bucks, and converters aren't that expensive, might not be a bad idea.

I haven't tried it yet, haven't used up my PCIe slots and with the current BTC price drops, I don't think I ever will.

I'm using a board I had sitting around, with 4x PCIe and 3x PCI. I think their completely worth it when you can get really cheap or free board to support 7 cards. I'm not sure if they'll work with a no-PCIe motherboard, but I'll test it on my old Pentium 3 when it shows up. I'll make it my primary mining rig just for laughs if it works Cheesy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Expresscard-X1-X4-X8-X16-PCI-Card-Adapter-New-/180645720134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a0f52f046#ht_2781wt_952

xurious

Activity: 413

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 05:27:03 AM

That's 90 dollars (last ones I saw where 30 each) just in extenders. You can get a complete second board, cpu and ram for 90 dollars.(albeit not new). Or just sell your main and get a better with more slots.

Should mention any 780i board can be picked up for around $80, a p4 socket 775 chip for $5, 4x 256 ddr2 for maybe 10 bucks.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
shakaru

Activity: 406

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:15:54 AM

You can only use ONE. You will blow up your board.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
mb300sd
Legendary

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 06:23:21 AM

You can only use ONE. You will blow up your board.

Isn't the reason because the PCI slot cannot supply enough power? I have no problems modifying the converter to supply the GPU power from a molex, and/or using an extender with a molex.

shakaru

Activity: 406

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:36:46 AM

Isn't the reason because the PCI slot cannot supply enough power? I have no problems modifying the converter to supply the GPU power from a molex, and/or using an extender with a molex.

You know I thought the same thing, but its not the case. For some reason when running two of these card adapters while mining, it will just fry out the whole slot. I have this confirmed from 2 others as well. One was trying to run 4 at once, the other was running 2 like my self.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
inh

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 11:25:35 AM

I've got a couple different types for sale: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=37133.0
mb300sd
Legendary

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 02:33:52 PM

You know I thought the same thing, but its not the case. For some reason when running two of these card adapters while mining, it will just fry out the whole slot. I have this confirmed from 2 others as well. One was trying to run 4 at once, the other was running 2 like my self.

Strange. Do you know what fried? Maybe the 5v or 3.3v rails?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: