Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:51:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth address with SX (anonymous payments)  (Read 25915 times)
waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:09:36 PM

My thoughts on my why stealth addresses should be called stealth addresses:
<snipped>

Yes, I've just been reading and thinking about this. It is closely related to what I was just discussing with fellowtraveler; are we going to try to hide the fact that Bitcoin can be relatively anonymous? I know the core idea here is just to give some privacy in a certain context, but especially when combined with coinjoin and other techs, what we're doing here is really exploring how close we can get to proper anonymity. I find it really disingenuous when I hear a certain brand of Bitcoin advocate constantly parrot the line "oh, it's nowhere near as anonymous as cash, it's traceable, the blockchain is completely public". This line was trotted out by everyone at the Senate hearings too. To me it's some kind of wishful thinking going on here by many in the bitcoin community (including core devs) that don't wan't to pay attention to the inevitable political consequences of what they're doing. "It's neutral, it's just tech, it's not a challenge to the status quo". This is head-in-the-sand stuff.

I'm sorry if that seems like a bit of a tangent to your point. But I don't think it is. I think the whole reason people leapt into the naming debate is because they're determined not to paint Bitcoin as what it actually is - money independent of external control.

By the way, thanks for your work on this.

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 10:18:22 PM

subscribing

Society doesn't scale.
genjix (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:25:57 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 12:54:30 PM by genjix

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:05:42 AM

Cool  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If I understand it correct, the sender must know the stealth address from the receiver and the receiver must know the nonce from the sender, so information need to be exchanged both way, comparing with the standard way of only providing a receiving address?

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:11:51 AM

If I understand it correct, the sender must know the stealth address from the receiver and the receiver must know the nonce from the sender, so information need to be exchanged both way, comparing with the standard way of only providing a receiving address?

Yes

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
asherp

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:07:33 AM

This creates a strong use-case for Twister adoption: Put your stealth address in your twister profile. When you send a payment, send a direct message with the nonce to the receiver. DM's are encrypted in twister. Take it a step further: bake this feature into every bitcoin-twister client so the user never even sees their stealth address. Then, all bitcoin payments reduce to "1.5mB @bob". It takes all the centralization out of the current tipping schemes and makes them forward-anonymous by default.
genjix (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:57:48 AM

Cool  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

This creates a strong use-case for Twister adoption: Put your stealth address in your twister profile. When you send a payment, send a direct message with the nonce to the receiver. DM's are encrypted in twister. Take it a step further: bake this feature into every bitcoin-twister client so the user never even sees their stealth address. Then, all bitcoin payments reduce to "1.5mB @bob". It takes all the centralization out of the current tipping schemes and makes them forward-anonymous by default.

ssshhhh you're giving away my secrets Wink
ssshhh

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:35:34 PM

I said nothing  Grin
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:55:32 PM

I said nothing  Grin

LOL  Grin

BTW: Thanks so much for this development, it really is GREAT!
JoeChmoe

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:15:35 PM

This is a huge development, gotta love the community.
asherp

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:10:05 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 09:28:52 PM by asherp

Sorry. I just can't help myself. Haven't even been sleeping since my mind exploded over this. What I just realized is that your client could by default display your balance in your local currency based on geolocation data. This means users wouldn't even know they're using bitcoin!

Alice: +$5.00 @bob
Bob sees his account balance is now 66.35 pesos
Carol: Hey @Alice, @Bob have you heard of bitcoin?
Bob and Alice: wtf is bitcoin?
Carol: it's what made your transaction possible!
Bob: yeah.. And?
Alice: @Carol stop being a smartass
AsymmetricInformation

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 09:46:27 PM

In a separate post I describe thoughts on how stealth addresses can be used to prevent third parties from learning BOTH the recipient address and the payment amount.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=419097.0

Support Decentralized Bitcoin Prediction Markets: 1M5tVTtynuqiS7Goq8hbh5UBcxLaa5XQb8
https://github.com/psztorc/Truthcoin
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:21:01 PM

My concern with the name Stealth Address is that it will end up being a niche feature that most people will not use.  Peter's "Ohh, privacy is good!" argument makes sense among his peers, but will fall flat on most common users.  Most people "Have nothing to hide" and aren't threatened by privacy, even with all the leaks and damage done.  This should be viewed as a standard and non-scary option, and not something for criminals and troublemakers only.  Stealth has those connotations, and I have a feeling it will become put in a corner.  I think he is also a bit biased in that the super-plugged-in people (aka meetup attendees) have heard of this term and it's too late to change it.  I disagree that it's really that well known, even within the Bitcoin community.

Names seem to fall out of describing how something is used or describing what it does.  We should also focus describing traditional addresses as well, to see if there might be a way to relabel them.

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
asherp

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 11:38:21 PM

My concern with the name Stealth Address is that it will end up being a niche feature that most people will not use.  Peter's "Ohh, privacy is good!" argument makes sense among his peers, but will fall flat on most common users.  Most people "Have nothing to hide" and aren't threatened by privacy, even with all the leaks and damage done.  This should be viewed as a standard and non-scary option, and not something for criminals and troublemakers only.  Stealth has those connotations, and I have a feeling it will become put in a corner.  I think he is also a bit biased in that the super-plugged-in people (aka meetup attendees) have heard of this term and it's too late to change it.  I disagree that it's really that well known, even within the Bitcoin community.

Names seem to fall out of describing how something is used or describing what it does.  We should also focus describing traditional addresses as well, to see if there might be a way to relabel them.

The way things are going with twister integration, it won't even matter whether we call them "stealth" addresses at all, because the average user won't even know they exist! When they make a payment it'll be to an identity - a person - not to some incomprehensible string of numbers. From that perspective, call them whatever you want.
Peter Todd
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:19:35 AM

The way things are going with twister integration, it won't even matter whether we call them "stealth" addresses at all, because the average user won't even know they exist! When they make a payment it'll be to an identity - a person - not to some incomprehensible string of numbers. From that perspective, call them whatever you want.

Exactly. Addresses in general are going to be replaced by various payment protocols and identification systems. I think a good analogy is DNS: the vast majority of the time you type a DNS name into your URL bar in your browser. Behind the scenes that gets resolved to an IP address, and the fact that you can type an IP address instead of a DNS name is only possible because sometimes advanced users and developers need to debug things at a lower-level than you normally would use. Just like 95% of users have probably never heard the term "IPv4 address" in the future 95% of users will have never heard the term "stealth address"

As for now, we've got a lot of great press using the term, and changing the name now for vague reasons of "acceptability" will just confuse people when we start rolling out stealth address support in wallets for the early adopters to use.

Anyway, enough with this silly bike-shedding; lets get some work done.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:46:19 AM

I think I just got a glimpse of lead dev in waiting ....

alp

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:22:17 AM

Exactly. Addresses in general are going to be replaced by various payment protocols and identification systems. I think a good analogy is DNS: the vast majority of the time you type a DNS name into your URL bar in your browser. Behind the scenes that gets resolved to an IP address, and the fact that you can type an IP address instead of a DNS name is only possible because sometimes advanced users and developers need to debug things at a lower-level than you normally would use. Just like 95% of users have probably never heard the term "IPv4 address" in the future 95% of users will have never heard the term "stealth address"

As for now, we've got a lot of great press using the term, and changing the name now for vague reasons of "acceptability" will just confuse people when we start rolling out stealth address support in wallets for the early adopters to use.

I'm not pleased with any of the alternative names either, and as long as it is transparent to the user, all is well with me!

There still needs to be a name, though, even if it is the default.  Users do know of "web address" to visit their webpage even if they don't know the magic of how it works underneath.  Even something as bland as Payment Identifier could work for this purpose.  Stealth address would be one specific type of such an identifier that could be used for more technical people who want to understand the guts.

Look at how much damage has to be undone because of a poorly named "Bitcoin Address".  Names are far more than bikeshedding and can lead people to make very incorrect assumptions and lead people astray.  My concern is mostly about mainstreaming the Stealth Address feature while not putting it in some pigeonhole of "oooh scary advanced secret stuff only bad people use".  People that care about privacy are not going to be the target here.  It's the people who say "so what" to the privacy claim.  Stealth buys them nothing.  But make it work without them knowing and you could call it ice cream dump truck and it's just as good.

oakpacific

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:24:12 AM

No, everyone cares about privacy, at least to a certain degree. Or maybe you could find me someone who would love to show me his bank transaction history.

alp

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:35:49 AM

No, everyone cares about privacy, at least to a certain degree. Or maybe you could find me someone who would love to show me his bank transaction history.

If this were the case, Edward Snowden wouldn't be hiding in Russia, no one would be using Facebook, and Tor would be standard.  For the vast majority, privacy is simply not valued by most people when it comes down to actually put in any effort.  The Bitcoin community in general is going to have a selection bias towards those who care more than the average person.

oakpacific

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:44:48 AM

If this were the case, Edward Snowden wouldn't be hiding in Russia, no one would be using Facebook, and Tor would be standard.  For the vast majority, privacy is simply not valued by most people when it comes down to actually put in any effort.  The Bitcoin community in general is going to have a selection bias towards those who care more than the average person.

Privacy is valued, when people appear to not care about it the threat is usually not tangible, as in your Snowden, FB and Tor case. When your bank/credit card history is out, or you are caught masturbating you will immediately feel how important it really is. Same happens when your friend/wife just saw your bitcoin transaction to a stripper on blockchain.info.

Also the incognito mode seems so important that every browser maker feels the need to put it in.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: