Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:15:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do some KNC Jupiters have different hash rates?  (Read 4654 times)
U1TRA_L0RD (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:05:25 AM

I've been searching these forums and notice some people have KNC Jupiters at different hashrates.

One person has theirs at 500 Gh/s another has theirs at 600Gh/s and finally another has theirs at 680-700 Gh/s

One thing that gets me though, Is that their is no mention of overclocking?

If someone can explain why do the Jupiters have different hash rates, that'll be great! Thanks!
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:23:47 AM

search harder. the answers are out there

U1TRA_L0RD (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:27:51 AM

search harder. the answers are out there
I guess this is what no sleep does.
railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 07:38:42 AM

yes am a bit snappy also cos no sleep.

knc thread full of infos

sillywhim

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:39:11 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 12:20:34 PM by sillywhim

I've been searching these forums and notice some people have KNC Jupiters at different hashrates.

One person has theirs at 500 Gh/s another has theirs at 600Gh/s and finally another has theirs at 680-700 Gh/s

There are two different batches of KNC Jupiters ...."October" and "November". This matches roughly the shipment date of said Jupiters but also there are hardware differences (but same ASIC chips, go figure) that account for hashrate variances.

The "October" Jupiters (which I have one) had wildly variable hashrates straight out of the box from a high of 570G to a low of sometimes 200G to 300G.

KNC to its credit continued to issue firmware updates (around 15 to date) such that currently most all "October" Jupiters are in the 550G to 570G range. Oddly however, there are some "October" Jupiter owners whom have hesitated to RMA a low performance ASIC board due to around a 2 weeks delay in the RMA process. So "October" Jupiters that are substantially under 550Gh/sec are like this because of their owners.

The "November" Jupiters (second batch) are a total redesign compared to the "October". The ASICs are exactly the same. "November" Jupiters are around 670Gh/sec, and like the "October" Jupiters, KNC has issued firmware updates (three so far).

The "October" Jupiters have tunning suites in their firmware that allows selectable voltages to each asic die and overall miner frequencies that are responsible for bringing up the miner's hashrates to the standards mentioned above. The "November" Jupiters should have this capability soon (hopefully never, hah hah). And yes, some "November" Jupiters are under the 670Gh/sec rate similar to what "October" Jupiter owners initially experienced!

The "October" Jupiter was substantially costlier ($7100 USD) than the one month later "November" Jupiter (under $5K USD) and is substantially less powerful as a miner. Early adopter woes!

The fortuitous releasing of the Jupiters at a time of spectacular valuation of BTC (and in the case of "October" Jupiters just before) meant a 100% payback on the cost of the miners in USD providing all BTC being mined was sold immediately. Following this logic, all KNC miners today are in 100% profit mode sans consumables like electricity. This has also quieted all kncminer owners' former vocal complaints once our miners turned into money machines.

As for overclocking, KNC specifically forbids this i.e. no RMAs will be honored for modified asic pc boards ---"October" Jupiters should theoretically match their cheaper higher hash "November" brethren. I do not believe any Jupiter is being overclock'd above what was designed and designated by KNC itself.

If you hear a comment like "My Jupiter is just doing a crappy 600Gh/s..." this could mean that this is a "November" Jupiter that should be doing 670Gh/s, but every "October" Jupiter owner is jealous of irregardless.
U1TRA_L0RD (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:35:07 AM

There are two different batches of KNC Jupiters ...."October" and "November". This matches roughly the shipment date of said Jupiters but also there are hardware differences (but same ASIC chips, go figure) that account for hashrate variances.

The "October" Jupiters (which I have one) had wildly variable hashrates straight out of the box from a high of 570G to a low of sometimes 200G to 300G.

KNC to its credit continued to issue firmware updates (around 15 to date) such that currently most all "October" Jupiters are in the 550G to 570G range. Oddly however, there are some "October" Jupiter owners whom have hesitated to RMA a low performance ASIC board due to around a 2 weeks delay in the RMA process. So "October" Jupiters that are substantially under 550Gh/sec are like this because of their owners.

The "November" Jupiters (second batch) are a total redesign compared to the "October". The ASICs are exactly the same. "November" Jupiters are around 670Gh/sec, and like the "October" Jupiters, KNC has issued firmware updates (three so far).

The "October" Jupiters have tunning suites in their firmware that allows selectable voltages to each asic die and overall miner frequencies that are responsible for bringing up the miner's hashrates to the standards mentioned above. The "November" Jupiters should have this capability soon (hopefully never, hah hah). And yes, some "November" Jupiters are under the 670Gh/sec rate similar to what "October" Jupiter owners initially experienced!

The "October" Jupiter was substantially costlier ($7100 USD) than the one month later "November" Jupiter (under $5K USD) and is substantially less powerful as a miner. Early adopter woes!

The fortuitous releasing of the Jupiters at a time of spectacular valuation of BTC (and in the case of "October" Jupiters just before) meant a 100% payback on the cost of the miners in USD providing all BTC being mined was sold immediately. Following this logic, all KNC miners today are in 100% profit mode sans consumables like electricity. This has also quieted all kncminer owners' former vocal complaints once our miners turned into money machines.

As for overclocking, KNC specifically forbids this i.e. no RMAs will be honored for modified asic pc boards ---"October" Jupiters should theoretically match their cheaper higher hash "November" brethren. I do not believe any Jupiter is being overclock'd above what was designed and designated by KNC itself.

If you hear a comment like "My Jupiter is just doing a crappy 600Gh/s..." this could mean that this is a "November" Jupiter that should be doing 670Gh/s, but every "October" Jupiter owner is jealous of irregardless.

Wow, Why not get a november one for an exchange? Seems weird.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: