Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:30:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Market Impact from a MTGox collapse  (Read 2077 times)
BreathOfZen (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:57:19 PM

Hi all,
Given the increasingly worrying news coming out of MTGox, it is time to start worrying about what will happen to the exchange rate, market confidence, and the Bitcoin image generally if Gox does implode, and take everyone's deposits with them.

My first worry is that to the outside world, Gox is the only exchange that matters.  Every publication uses the Gox price when they are talking about Bitcoin, and it's the only exchange that I've really seen talked about in the media.  If nothing else, its collapse will be media worthy.

Aoeui Artifacts

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:58:04 PM

Hi all,
Given the increasingly worrying news coming out of MTGox, it is time to start worrying about what will happen to the exchange rate, market confidence, and the Bitcoin image generally if Gox does implode, and take everyone's deposits with them.

My first worry is that to the outside world, Gox is the only exchange that matters.  Every publication uses the Gox price when they are talking about Bitcoin, and it's the only exchange that I've really seen talked about in the media.  If nothing else, its collapse will be media worthy.

Go away.

EDIT: Actually, perhaps I am being naive but it is possible that you are simply a noob and not a very badly disguised troll. In which case don't worry about it. Gox has been to hell and back (perhaps not completely back) and while I would hesitate to compare Gox to Bitcoin itself, there is a certain resemblance as far as resilience goes. Anyway, it may be shit, but I don't think Gox is going anywhere.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 10:09:03 PM

If mtgox closes shop and runs Bitcoins are worthless. They may not have the volume anymore but they do have the vast majority of money deposited and despite what market cheerleaders may claim the money available for otc deals isn't anything close to that.

Go away.
I for once will be here long after you abolish this newest sockpuppet account.
T.Stuart

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:12:19 PM

Go away.
I for once will be here long after you abolish this newest sockpuppet account.

Yes, you do have a certain air of immortality, I'll give you that.  Cheesy

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
BreathOfZen (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:23:40 PM

Maybe I am naive on the subject, but I thought that it was common knowledge that withdrawing from Gox is a terrible nightmare that routinely takes several months, if not longer.  Traditionally, this is the sort of behavior that occurs in failing enterprises that cannibalize their deposits to pay for ongoing expenses until there is no money left. 

There is at least one decent exchange (cough Bitstamp cough) and it's not like a Gox collapse means the end of Bitcoin, but still, when I look at the upcoming disasters that are at least somewhat foreseeable, Gox seems like the biggest one out there.

Aoeui Artifacts
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:30:15 PM

If mtgox closes shop and runs Bitcoins are worthless.

LOL. EM you are one crazy dude.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
T.Stuart

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:38:16 PM

Maybe I am naive on the subject, but I thought that it was common knowledge that withdrawing from Gox is a terrible nightmare that routinely takes several months, if not longer.  Traditionally, this is the sort of behavior that occurs in failing enterprises that cannibalize their deposits to pay for ongoing expenses until there is no money left. 

There is at least one decent exchange (cough Bitstamp cough) and it's not like a Gox collapse means the end of Bitcoin, but still, when I look at the upcoming disasters that are at least somewhat foreseeable, Gox seems like the biggest one out there.

I don't think it is actually considered to be up there with the top-of-the-list impending doom scenarios (which are FYI 1. China, 2. China, 3. China, etc.). But exchanges do come and go: recent occurences (eg Hong Kong http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/04/bitcoin_scammers_gbl_caught_china/) have not sparked crashes. But it is true that Gox is a well-known exchange. Still, in terms of the effect on market sentiment at the least, I wouldn't give the Gox-down scenario much importance at the moment.

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
virtualfaqs

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 10:40:41 PM

If Mtgox needs fiat, they can exchange BTC for it.

Also if they were in dire need of money, they wouldn't be giving 25% off fees until Jan 20.

https://twitter.com/virtualfaqs
Looking for altcoin pump advice? Then follow me.
BreathOfZen (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:14:40 PM

Actually, it is the hallmark of distressed companies to offer great terms, fee reductions, etc in an effort to draw in new capital, and keep current customers from leaving as best they can.  Sad to say, the last time I saw this sort of thing was in the banking crisis of 2008.

Aoeui Artifacts
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:28:09 PM

Let's hope it happens. I mean, I wouldn't want to see anyone lose coins that are in accounts there, but Gox blows and the community would be better off if they just go out of the picture, since it seems like they're never going to improve their service. Step aside and let someone else take over.

In the short term, prices would fall a lot on the other exchanges, but they'd recover in time.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
El Dude

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:33:19 AM

Mtgox will save itself by trading Litecoin.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:48:09 AM

News of MTGOX is going to come sooner or later. The issues that arose since last May (2013) have not been really resolved and addressed.

Most of the issues have been given silence by MTGOX and thus in my view are an attempt to cover up what the real situation at GOX is.

I'm expecting bad news for MTGOX in 2014. Whether or not this is bad for bitcoin is another story. We'll let the markets decide.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:17:13 AM

The fact is that Gox is the best-known exchange and in some senses, is one of the faces of bitcoin. It would not be pretty.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 02:05:31 AM

MTGox 30 day BTC volume for USD trades: 512,410.89

VS

BTC-E 30 day BTC volume for USD trades: 706,337.58
Bitsamp 30 day BTC volume for USD trades: 657,131.52

Source: http://bitcoincharts.com/

Also BTC-E and Bitstamp are very close in price. I would say that MTGox is becoming less and less relevant by the day.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 02:19:09 AM

Hi all,

My first worry is that to the outside world, Gox is the only exchange that matters.  Every publication uses the Gox price when they are talking about Bitcoin, and it's the only exchange that I've really seen talked about in the media.  If nothing else, its collapse will be media worthy.

Temporary effect. A little bigger impact than Silk Road.

But, ultimately, 2014 is going to bring about the first fully licensed U.S. bitcoin exchange(s). And that exchange(s) is going to be the foremost place to trade bitcoins. 
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:46:16 AM

Hi all,

Temporary effect. A little bigger impact than Silk Road.

But, ultimately, 2014 is going to bring about the first fully licensed U.S. bitcoin exchange(s). And that exchange(s) is going to be the foremost place to trade bitcoins. 

I thought coinbase and kraken are fully licensed already?

GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:27:59 AM

Mtgox silence is truly amazing, they had almost 1 year to fix their stuff and launch midas.

The fact it is really easy to deposit money but almost impossible to withdraw is never ever a good sign, especially when 7 months went by with no resolution.

I do not wish for their demise, but given their poor track record and market manipulation they r asking for it. Its sad because they are part of bitcoin's history.

Apostata

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:49:58 AM

Maybe MtGox has just decided that the US market is too much of a pain to deal with?  Their Japanese bank has also placed a limit on the number of wire transfers they can make in a day.  So they get backlogged

Is there something else I am missing? 
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:56:00 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 09:05:50 AM by spin

Perhaps people should stop using the MtGox USD price as "the price".  They still get quoted as the market standard price when they obviously aren't market leading anymore.  
I like this price: https://bitcoinaverage.com/markets.htm#USD-nomillibit
Or a simpler options might be the highest volume price i.e. bitstamp.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
Edward50

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:08:21 AM

If its difficult to remove fiat from mt gox.

Can you remove bitcoins from mt gox easily?

Why do people just not remove bitcoins and cash out elsewhere? 

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: