Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:06:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinhunter is wasting his talent  (Read 3028 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 04:37:31 AM

Viper, thank you for your honesty. My motives were purely profit and they will be. I don't mind giving input on a concept or project but i don't take too kind to taunting and blatant disrespect like coinhunter displayed.

If you choose to be a part of the solidcoin project then that's great. I personally think it will end at some point due to overshadowing from other alt-chains that come out.

Solidcoin to me was a good step in the right direction but the term "solidcoin" now leaves me and possibly others with a bad taste in our mouths when we hear the term.

Thanks again.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zibbo

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 06:39:09 AM

P.S. and for the shame of it all I forgot to give any real credit and attention to namecoin.  GREAT concept!  But if I understand the implementation (because I'll freely admit, I haven't really dug in much on this one), it is very self-destructive because they destroy their own "currency" to perform domain registrations and maintenance and are also fixed at ?21 million? (am I correct in this understanding?)

AFAIK currency is destroyed only in the beginning to discourage domain name hoarding. Network cost of domain name registration goes steadily down as the time goes on, eventually going to zero.

Quote from: viperjbm
I'm also man enough to admit I got overly p'o'ed out here from the behavior on all sides and appologize for going too far.  I make no apology for my attitude toward artforz however, I still believe what he did is immoral and disgusting and should be openly condemned by the community.

Something to consider is that what ArtForz actually did was not intended to have the consequences that it had, but was supposed to be more like a proof of concept of more serious attack. What ended up causing all the real problems was not the security vulnerability ArtForz was trying to demonstrate, but a previously unknown (to everybody) bug that caused uncontrolled database writes in a situation like that.

Though I do regret not noticing the massive txdb journal growth earlier, or I would have stopped the "attack" a lot sooner than I did.

So when you judge the "morality" of someones actions, you should concentrate more on what the intent was, and less on accidental and unforeseeable consequences of those actions. Without that bug, the demonstration would have gone largely unnoticed, and served the purpose of showing the possibility of a more serious attack.

This database bug can be fixed with this patch:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/491

which you can use in Solidcoin as well.. You know, without asking a permission from ArtForz (who ended up fixing the bug for everyone's benefit) or anything.
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 06:47:05 AM

I think we can all agree that coinhunter is acting like a dick.
Calling him a dick is understating it. He is a conman as well as a dick.

From @feydr today, assuming this is coinhunter:
what ppl still don't understand is that you can sell pieces of shit from your toilet as long as you can find your custies, and they DO exist
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 07:42:55 AM

So far we have survived a DOS attack, a huge miner drop off, and a huge price drop off. The algorithm however follows these unintended events, and protects the overall network from crashing to a halt. Who knows, maybe this was all a plot foiled by Realsolid, so that people would attack the network, and it could get some "serious" testing, before being released as a finished product. This is all still "beta" you know Cheesy.

Think about it... There's no better testing than having an entire community attack a product that should be "invulnerable" to attacks...

An interesting thought. Though the network didn't survive a "DoS attack". It barely even survived a demonstration of an exploit. Sorry but if anyone really cared about attacking the network, it wouldn't be there right now, not only because the protocol is faulty but because the network is small (not SC's fault, can happen to anyone). On the other hand, the retargeting algorithm seems to have been useful in surviving the miner drop-off. With your line of reasoning, we should forward bitcoin.org to goatse.cx and see what happens.
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 08:29:24 AM

And this is part of the point, Artforz didn't really know what he was doing either and this is somehow better that say... running this on a test network (instead of the production one)

How about you kindly go fuck off?

There was no test network for SolidCoin and you know it. So basically what you're saying is, ArtForz should have ... done the impossible and used a resource CoinHunter chose not to create because he was convinced he was the cryptocurrency god.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
Zibbo

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 12:37:04 PM

And this is part of the point, Artforz didn't really know what he was doing either and this is somehow better that say... running this on a test network (instead of the production one)

How about you kindly go fuck off?

There was no test network for SolidCoin and you know it. So basically what you're saying is, ArtForz should have ... done the impossible and used a resource CoinHunter chose not to create because he was convinced he was the cryptocurrency god.

Aww shucks the Kumbaya didn't last 12 hours....

Artforz seems to be capable enough to have analyzed and seen this attack, pull it off all the while noticing yet another bug being hit realizing that it is also in Bitcoin and then going off to submit a fix for it and you are telling me he couldn't have tested this in an offline system?

I think it's likely that he did test it offline first, but in order to easily notice the DB bug, you needed to run out of disk space (or memory?), which he probably didn't. But whatever, I find it unlikely that I can convince you on anything on that front.

Overall I find that you are grasping for straws, trying to find something or someone other than CoinHunter to blame for all the bad things happening around Solidcoin.

Vast majority of people here have zero problems with alternative currencies. They are a good way to experiment with new approaches to cryptocurrencies, and there are some good ideas in Solidcoin, like trying to fix the Bitcoin difficulty adjustment system which has been shown to have issues (though Solidcoin system is not perfect either).

People don't hate Solidcoin. They hate CoinHunter, and all that bad mojo just rubs on Solidcoin. People who don't want Solidcoin to succeed, are usually not against it because they are afraid their BTC investment are in danger, but because they are afraid that some cryptocurrency with a person like Coinhunter in charge might gain some foothold, giving a bad name to us all.

Whether true or not IRL, the online image Coinhunter gives of himself is of someone who is paranoid, narcissistic and delusional. He might be a competent coder, but it's just impossible to trust him on anything, let alone my finances.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: